• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE ZMAX Pro (Z981) root discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about adb/fastboot to unlock our bootloader
I just googled unlimited skipping in Pandora and even in spotify and there are apps for this with no root. Some weirdo here went apeshit on me on the other site just coz this phone can't be rooted. LOL.
I use a hacked Pandora. Unlimited skips and can download any song that plays. No root needed

Upvote 0
There's a no root O.G. YouTube app and MicroG app for download that allows background play and also downloading and convert to mp3

Look harder...yes there are... Mozilla for background, there are literally dozens of apps that pride themselves on recording screen/audio even in real time, and im sure you can find an app to convert files to even more than mp3 once you have this recorded file or extension... All is possible, roots going to make it waaaay easier tho!

Upvote 0
What about adb/fastboot to unlock our bootloader

I use a hacked Pandora. Unlimited skips and can download any song that plays. No root needed

Sadly the device is recognized in adb but not in fastboot, under dfu or ftp. Zte purposely took the ability of fastboot out.. Some devices that even had fastboot before recent updates had their fastboot ability removed first chance zte had. Its horrible of zte but god their devices are so awesomely budgeted and capable. I read somewhere there was a way to re enable fastboot or even give a device fastboot capabilities. Its important to remember to run an adb command in shell before trying ANY exploit, we have no real confirmation if the cmd actually affects our device as it does most zte devices but it doesnt hurt to be for sure. In adb shell or terminal -reboot disemmcwp- without the dashes, this will disable write protection on reboot, as so awesomely discovered by Hroark13

Upvote 0
I got excited then it just stopped..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161210-181147.png
    Screenshot_20161210-181147.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: cyanidekid
Upvote 0
Sadly the device is recognized in adb but not in fastboot, under dfu or ftp. Zte purposely took the ability of fastboot out.. Some devices that even had fastboot before recent updates had their fastboot ability removed first chance zte had. Its horrible of zte but god their devices are so awesomely budgeted and capable. I read somewhere there was a way to re enable fastboot or even give a device fastboot capabilities. Its important to remember to run an adb command in shell before trying ANY exploit, we have no real confirmation if the cmd actually affects our device as it does most zte devices but it doesnt hurt to be for sure. In adb shell or terminal -reboot disemmcwp- without the dashes, this will disable write protection on reboot, as so awesomely discovered by Hroark13
. Newbie here but I know some devices like my lg k10 have a write protection built-in but can be disabled inserting a line withe es file manager then reboot. Not sure if that has anything to do with what u said but maybe can help

Upvote 0
. Newbie here but I know some devices like my lg k10 have a write protection built-in but can be disabled inserting a line withe es file manager then reboot. Not sure if that has anything to do with what u said but maybe can help
Can you insert the line without root? It sounds like you referring to editing the build.prop which need root access..

Upvote 0
Can you insert the line without root? It sounds like you referring to editing the build.prop which need root access..

Might be possible. If you put es file manager files with adb files. Right? or wherever you put the es file manager files. The command might work.

Upvote 0
Actually I had to do that to get kingroot to work on the k10. I never tried on the zmax pro because it let me write /move/copy files anywhere out the box. And root explorer and show hidden files works on es with out root??? Idk man I just really want this phone rooted it's pretty cool especially if it was rootable or custom roms like CM

Upvote 0
So I have a question and I'm not sure if it has been brought up before and answered. I just updated to b12 thru my SDcard (thanks @MigDaMusicMan for the zip idea and @onaikel for the update file). Is there a way to modify the update file to get root?
View attachment 113289
I don't really trust b12 if I did update is there a way I could downgrade back to b8 threw SD I'd I had problems

Reactions: cyanidekid
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones