• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimize your Droid Eris battery life (READ THIS)

Sorry for not taking the time to read through this very, very, very long thread. So, I apologize if this was already discussed - just wanted to report in.

I got my Eris 6 weeks ago and was immediately told to install task killer.

At any rate, I still had terrible battery, despite hardly EVER having anything turned on that I would have liked. You know, like all the things that I bought it for, wifi, bluetooth, gps mobile network etc. And yes, I used atk religiously.

:mad: After maybe 30 minutes talk time, 10 minutes of mobile network, youmail and 4-5 hours into my day, I would be down to around 30%-35% power. (Battery app with %)

Anyhow, I came across a post somewhere about the App "Toggle Settings". I installed it yesterday.

Today, I left everything on all day (since 6:00 am) other than bluetooth which was only on 45 minutes or so.

I talked at least 2 hours (probably more) and did a bit of playing/showing off with a bud that just got the Nexus.

I plugged into my car charger for about 30 minutes at 4pm.

I turned of mobile network around 6:30 pm.

My battery is at 67%

I AM THRILLED.

Sorry if the are atk lovers out there. In my case, getting rid of it totally changed my Eris.

Also - at the same time I installed "Lookout" (mylookout.com) which by the way is awesome. I do not see how this might have helped with batt mgmt but felt I should mention that.

Hope this helps someone out there! :)

Can't wait to see how great it does with we get the elusive 2.x! :cool:

Upvote 0
If I go to Gmail > Menu > Settings > Labels > Number of days to sync,
is this a way to save battery by changing the number of days? I don't understand what they mean by numbers of days to sync. So if I put it to 1 day, will Gmail only sync 1 day out of the week?

I believe that setting tells your Gmail program how much data to sync to your Eris. If you select "1 day", then only the mail that you received today will show up on your phone..."4 days" will show mail from the last 4 days, etc.

Upvote 0
Did anyone have their Verizon rep turn on their phone in store before the battery being fully charged? Will this negatively affect battery life? I had a pretty horrendous first day today, but I was also fiddling nonstop downloading apps, playing with apps, and the like.

I am now going to try and condition my battery, but will I be seeing decreased life because of the fact that it was turned on before being fully charged (for the first time)?

Upvote 0
Did anyone have their Verizon rep turn on their phone in store before the battery being fully charged? Will this negatively affect battery life? I had a pretty horrendous first day today, but I was also fiddling nonstop downloading apps, playing with apps, and the like.

I am now going to try and condition my battery, but will I be seeing decreased life because of the fact that it was turned on before being fully charged (for the first time)?

No. It will not be a problem at all.

Upvote 0
Using Battery Use (Nifty built in add on to 2.1)

"15h 11m 43s since unplugged"

Cell Standby: 50%
Android System 19%
Phone Idle 14%
WiFi 8%
Display 5%
Voice Calls 4%

Battery life = 40%

Damn, I love 2.1. I also turned off locations services for a bit, turning it back on now. I was at work all day and had wi-fi on the whole time. i'm home now and have 3g on to test my battery.

science :D

I have just read all 12 pages of this forum. Very very informative. I am not having any battery issues, I followed all suggestions and my battery seems fine. I just got my phone on 4/2/10 and it came with 1.5 firmware. The Verizon salesperson said 2.1 would be available in a few months for the Eris. How did W4lly get the 2.1? How do you get the update, if and when it is available for the Eris. I am new at the smartphone business, so mayble I am getting something mixed up. Is the newest version availabe and if so why did my phone not have it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks EleanorAliza

Upvote 0
I wonder if it's possible to write an app that do this automatically. Basically if the phone goes to stand by, turn OFF mobile network. If the phone awakes from user action, turn it back on. This can be tweaked further. If the phone is in sleep for longer than an hour, turn it off. Or if the phone is awake for more than X seconds, turn it on...

I've downloaded the SDK but haven't really played with it, just wondering if it's technically possible to do so.

that would be awesome. please do it.

Upvote 0
Caddy,

I tried the sms trick and that didnt work and i also did a hard reset. So i decided to dl spare parts and see what was making my phone never sleep. At the top when i clicked partial wake usage it says "media" and it has a blue bar going across it. I just wanted to know what this is because i cant seem to get my awake time down from 100%

thanks

Upvote 0
For those of us who've upgraded, is there anything new that we need to do to conserve battery life? I had Background Data turned off but it seems to be necessary for several apps, so it's back on now.
If anyone's noticed anything I would appreciate the help. My battery tends to last me a good 4 days or so normally, and since the upgrade I am averaging about a day. Thanks!

Upvote 0
If you're having 100% or nearly 100% awake time, that's obviously going to kill your battery. Here's the easiest way (without installing any new apps) to see what's keeping your phone awake:

1. Go to "Phone".
2. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (you won't need to hit send).
3. In the menu that shows up, choose "Battery history".
4. In the first drop-down menu, choose "Partial wake usage" and wait ten seconds for it to load.
5. Top item in the resulting list is what's killing your battery.

If it's "Calendar" it means one of your sync accounts (Google, Exchange, Facebook) is stuck in an endless loop of trying to sync. Reboot usually fixes that, or you can go one-by-one and manually sync till you find the culprit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones