• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Android 2.2 FroYo - Brought to you by MDW (OC & Flash 10.1!)

OK, I figured out how to install maps from the market. Using the previous directions, I was able to change around some things:

1. Using Root Explorer move Maps.apk to the SD card
2. delete the Maps.apk from /system/app/
3. install Maps.apk from the SD card (not from the Market) using Root Explorer
It will ask if you want to replace the system app, choose yes.
4. Go to Settings-->Applications-->Manage Applications-->All and find Maps
5. Click on "Clear Data" and the "Uninstall"
6. You should now be able to go to the Market and install it from there

Tell me if this works for you too.

If you move it from System then you should not have to delete it.

Ok, I just tried to make a ringtone with the app ringdroid, never had any problems with it till I put this rom on my phone. Now it won't save ringtones that I have made anymore.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'll check it out in a minute.

Do you think anyone will ever get apps2sd working on froyo like cyan has in his roms?

Sent from my rooted Froyo Droid using Tapatalk

Apps2SD is native to Froyo already, no need for the partitions anymore (Trust me, I went through all sorts of figuring things out).

Ah. Thanx. :)

It's moving slow as hell right now, but I remember people saying that would happen until it finishes syncing.

Also, I was looking at your NexFro thing and I probably could have just installed that one instead of doing the "original" one, couldn't I?

It makes sense that you should be able to.

Upvote 0
I still think this is awesome! We got the fastest device on the market again according to this.

Sent from my rooted Froyo Droid using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0
I did notice that when I first installed it that it was extreamly allow and would stop responding from time to time... The synchronizing of apps would make sense... I would just try setting it to the side for a couple of hours... I will say that mine was acting funny the first time I installed it so I did a nandroid and flashed back to my jrummy backup... Decided to try it again and installed the 2.2 backup and it is working great....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This is the same thing that happened to me. I benchmarked, and it showed it equal to Nexus One on 2.2, and above every other phone listed. After a couple hours (sync icon was active) and a couple reboots (manual) I've had few problems. I'm using the fastest kernel that fixed wifi. Market is still slow, but not unusable. The first time I brought Market up it took about 30 seconds, but after that it comes up in about 10-15 seconds. Still seems slow, but not at all a reason to avoid this upgrade.

Also, someone linked to the htc_mod keyboard. This is GREAT. Works a ton better than the built in one. However, there is an update that fixes where the voice input was not working. The new version for 2.2 is here:

[MOD] HTC_IME (29th April) v25: Custom sounds and much more

Other items of interest:

-The app tray is awesome.
-Built in live wallpapers work great.
-I found that some things I backed up, would not restore. So, I mainly ended up reinstalling from apk my apps.
-Overall, cleaner, faster, and now is equal to or better than the iphone, hands down.
-Temp is fine, no problems even when running overclocked

Upvote 0
ok so in trying to fix the maps market download issue... I messed up and completely deleted my maps app... can't seem to get it back and I really don't want to have to nandroid back to my previous back up (made a ton of changes right before the maps thing :( )...

Does anyone have a link to the maps.apk that is in Froyo? When I try to download it from the market now it just gives and error that it is the wrong version...

Upvote 0
ok so in trying to fix the maps market download issue... I messed up and completely deleted my maps app... can't seem to get it back and I really don't want to have to nandroid back to my previous back up (made a ton of changes right before the maps thing :( )...

Does anyone have a link to the maps.apk that is in Froyo? When I try to download it from the market now it just gives and error that it is the wrong version...

Check here

That thread has a .zip file that you can flash in recovery to get your maps back.

Reactions: ska.t73
Upvote 0
Sweet thanks Zero... new problem now... I can't get adb to work at all... I've tried everything I can think of.. I have the latest SDK for 2.2, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the moto drivers... When go to adb shell it gives me the $ and when I try to su it hangs for a bit and says permission denied... any ideas at all guys? This just happened I have never ever had problems with adb shell ever...

(I have also tried doing it from recovery and get the same thing...)

Upvote 0
Sweet thanks Zero... new problem now... I can't get adb to work at all... I've tried everything I can think of.. I have the latest SDK for 2.2, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the moto drivers... When go to adb shell it gives me the $ and when I try to su it hangs for a bit and says permission denied... any ideas at all guys? This just happened I have never ever had problems with adb shell ever...

(I have also tried doing it from recovery and get the same thing...)

Do your other root apps work?

Did you grant su permissions to shell? Make sure your screen is on when you request su from adb, otherwise you'll miss the ninja.

Upvote 0
Do your other root apps work?

Did you grant su permissions to shell? Make sure your screen is on when you request su from adb, otherwise you'll miss the ninja.

Thanks Fab... yea all my other root apps work... can even get su in terminal emulater...

I will try to make sure the screen is on when I try it tonight after work... I don't remember having to grant permissions before, but it has been awhile :)

Upvote 0
What temps are everyone sitting between? When answered please include your OC speed.

I am OC'd to 900 and I sit between 32C to 38C. I guess that is pretty good.

My phone has been sitting idle for the last 2 hrs, and it's at 25C. But, when in use or when charging it gets hot quickly. Gets up past 40C pretty fast.

There's also something weird going on w/ SetCPU. I'm OC'd to 1ghz, and SetCPU isn't downclocking like it should when the phone is idle. If I just turn the screen on and look at the Home screen, SetCPU shows it running around 800 - 900mhz. On NexBeast, it would downclock to 250mhz when idle. My battery life has obviously been much worse.

Upvote 0
Does anyone else's camera not work on this ROM?

I've attached a photo that came from it. The photo doesn't have the same naming scheme as my old ones either.

I've only flashed the clockwork recovery (1.8.1.4) nandroid and I don't feel like doing the (simple I know) work to try the sprecovery (I've been flashing back and fourth between Cyanogenmod and this ROM all weekend .. time to take a break hahaha). Yes I wiped everything, multiple times, yada yada.

In other news, does anyone else see two Car Homes in Titanium Backup with this ROM?

Attachments

• IMG_20100606_232248.jpg
    IMG_20100606_232248.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

I've attached a photo that came from it. The photo doesn't have the same naming scheme as my old ones either.

I've only flashed the clockwork recovery (1.8.1.4) nandroid and I don't feel like doing the (simple I know) work to try the sprecovery (I've been flashing back and fourth between Cyanogenmod and this ROM all weekend .. time to take a break hahaha). Yes I wiped everything, multiple times, yada yada.

In other news, does anyone else see two Car Homes in Titanium Backup with this ROM?

not only does my camera work but it seems like it takes better photos! You may want to try a different kernel?

Upvote 0

I'm able to take photos, but video recording isn't working correctly. I can record a video, but when I hit stop, the app locks up and I get a FC. Seems like it's trying to write the file to the SD card and the app locks up.

Upvote 0
Ditto. Better camera and photo taking. The only thing I don't like is the new preview- it takes longer. But overall much better.

I've tried the kernel it comes "out of the box" with, 800MHz, and 1GHz. They all yield the same result.

No cause for alarm as I just realized that its not broken, its just showing me what it looks like through the "droid's eye" hahahahaha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones