• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Failures

woman-cabinet-handle-catches-gif.601795
That could also be an ad for the cabinet maker and installer, as it speaks to quality cabinetry, properly installed, with good hardware!!

I've installed cabinets so poorly made that the front with the door attached would have ended up in the floor with the young lady.

True story: I had installed 120 kitchens in an assisted living center and the cabinet rep said I had voided the warranty because I had nailed instead of screwed the cabinets to the wall. The foreman for the project, the cabinet rep, and I met to discuss the problem. I told the rep the cabinet would fail before it came off the wall. To prove it, I jumped up and grabbed an upper cabinet and the front came off in my hands. The back of the cabinet including the nailers and the shelving was still on the wall. Nothing more was said about voiding the warranty.

That might be a wee bit compromised. We did a major remodel of a huge home a few years before I retired. One of the more difficult projects was cutting out sections of the flooring and nailing plywood on the side of floor trusses to essentially turn them into TGI's to stiffen the flooring for the heated marble flooring that was replacing carpeting. What is pictured above was a sin by someone.

Last edited:
I've installed cabinets so poorly made that the front with the door attached would have ended up in the floor with the young lady.

True story: I had installed 120 kitchens in an assisted living center and the cabinet rep said I had voided the warranty because I had nailed instead of screwed the cabinets to the wall. The foreman for the project, the cabinet rep, and I met to discuss the problem. I told the rep the cabinet would fail before it came off the wall. To prove it, I jumped up and grabbed an upper cabinet and the front came off in my hands. The back of the cabinet including the nailers and the shelving was still on the wall. Nothing more was said about voiding the warranty.
Many years ago while I was visiting my sister and BIL there was a loud crashing sound from the hallway, and when we went to investigate we found the cabinet over the washer and dryer had fallen off the wall; it had been nailed in and not very well, either. This was kind of an alcove off the hallway just before the garage. The cabinet itself was not badly damaged so we got it repaired and remounted okay (this time with some screws!!) and then I did a drywall repair on an outer corner of the alcove where the cabinet had hit and ripped it up. I matched the texture pretty well. Both repairs have stood the test of time.

Many years ago while I was visiting my sister and BIL there was a loud crashing sound from the hallway, and when we went to investigate we found the cabinet over the washer and dryer had fallen off the wall; it had been nailed in and not very well, either. This was kind of an alcove off the hallway just before the garage. The cabinet itself was not badly damaged so we got it repaired and remounted okay (this time with some screws!!) and then I did a drywall repair on an outer corner of the alcove where the cabinet had hit and ripped it up. I matched the texture pretty well. Both repairs have stood the test of time.
I was a cabinet maker and was forced to become an installer to survive the changing times. I nailed my cabinets as well as the prefabs to each other and to the walls. I was in the business for over fifty five years so I had the opportunity to replace some of my installed cabinets. There was not much left of them once they were removed. Screws have the advantage of being unscrewed. Nailed will not fail if done properly.

That might be a wee bit compromised. We did a major remodel of a huge home a few years before I retired. One of the more difficult projects was cutting out sections of the flooring and nailing plywood on the side of floor trusses to essentially turn them into TGI's to stiffen the flooring for the heated marble flooring that was replacing carpeting. What is pictured above was a sin by someone.

I'd say that's a "Carnal Sin"

Back