• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

New York Strip tonight. Will smoke it with Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrel Wood Chips

PXL_20240805_165504783.MP~2.jpg

I smoked some stuffed bacon wrapped chicken thighs for dinner. Boneless skinless thighs stuffed with a slice of cream cheese, seasoned with garlic smoked paprika and coarse pepper with a slight dusting of chipotle chili then wrapped with bacon. I placed them in a muffin pan and smoked them at 225° until they reached 165° internal temp. I've made them before but today they were magnificent. I baked some fresh asparagus that had a few strips of bacon laying over them. They were pretty good too. I ate too much.

I'm smoking up a rack of beef back ribs tomorrow. They were a Costco purchase and a full seven rib rack with some meat on the bone. It was no bargain at $3.99 a pound but I've been wanting to do a good looking rack for some time. I might dust the rack with a bit of spice but mostly just salt and pepper. I don't want to hide that rich beef flavor of the rib meat.

I'm smoking a pork loin tomorrow. The loins were on sale so I bought a small one. I'm not that fond of the cut but I'll try to get it off of the smoker before it gets too dry. I was looking on the net for recipes. It has been so long since I cooked a loin that I don't remember how I cooked it and my cooking logs died with the associated app a number of years ago. My theory is I over cooked the loin which made the meat dry and tight. All that I read was Do Not Over Cook. I'll do my best. :)

View attachment 175243
The beef back ribs turned out super good. They cooked in six hours without wrapping them. No glaze and just salt and pepper for seasoning.

Sometimes the most basic seasoning works out like a charm. Fresh caught trout, a bit of wild sage, a (tiny) sprig of fennel wrapped in wild lettuce tucked into the belly and cooked in a mud pack buried in the coals of my fire. Wow ..... that was an amazing delight.

Thanks for bringing out the memory.

I'm smoking a pork loin tomorrow. The loins were on sale so I bought a small one. I'm not that fond of the cut but I'll try to get it off of the smoker before it gets too dry. I was looking on the net for recipes. It has been so long since I cooked a loin that I don't remember how I cooked it and my cooking logs died with the associated app a number of years ago. My theory is I over cooked the loin which made the meat dry and tight. All that I read was Do Not Over Cook. I'll do my best. :)
Loin or tenderloin? Sounds like a tenderloin. I make a marinade like this for those: Delicious Sweet Bourbon Marinade Recipe

The pork tenderloin was a hit. I must have over cooked it the last time for tonight the meat was very tender and moist. I used a peach rub that was a xmas gift that I haven't tried until today. It worked really well with the pork and I'll be using it again.

The pork tenderloin was a hit. I must have over cooked it the last time for tonight the meat was very tender and moist. I used a peach rub that was a xmas gift that I haven't tried until today. It worked really well with the pork and I'll be using it again.
I'll be right over.

On my daily bike ride I ride up a hill and cross a bridge over a railway. I can look down at the properties that back up to that hill and I spotted not one but two pellet smokers on a patio. They are different from each other but both are full size. Though I love smoking, I've never needed more than one smoker's cooking surface to cook. The owner must be pretty serious.

I was at a lawn equipment store today that also is a Green Mountain pellet grill dealer. While I was waiting to get a tire mounted I spotted a little table top GM smoker. It weighs 67 pounds empty and the cook surface might be big enough for a rack of St Louis style ribs. They wanted $449 for it. It was cute and built like a little tank. I can't imagine paying that for a baby smoker.
Mini GM.jpg

I'm smoking a chuck roast tomorrow. It's a pretty roast that was on sale. I'll rub it with avocado oil and season with coarse salt and pepper. I can't bring myself to add flavors to such a tasty beef cut. I think I'll bake some potatoes to go with the roast.

The chuckie turned out great. It reached temp in around five hours and then rested in my hot box for a couple of hours. I have enough left over to make bbq beef sandwiches tomorrow. My wife didn't want a baked potato so I fixed one for me and some baked broccoli florets.

Back
Top Bottom