• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

Speaking of meat in the hot box, I used my new hot box for the first time today. I discovered something new to me about the cooler. It is a three part box. It has a bottom section, then a ring that extends the height of the box by three or four inches, then the lid. If you want the box shorter, simply remove the ring/extension section. I left the ring on today and used a packing quilt to help pack the area inside and prevent the hot wrapped shoulder from melting the styrofoam. It worked well but I've never seen such a cooler.

Tomorrow I'm smoking a chuck roast. It's been a couple of months since I cooked one and it sure sounds good. It wasn't on sale and there was only one in the meat counter. I've bought better looking roasts but I had my heart set on smoking one tomorrow. I hope it turns out better than it looks like it might. I'll do my traditional cook on it and hope for the best.

The chuck roast wasn't bad but it could have been far better. It lacked the fat marbling that makes a good chuck moist. The meat was not tough but seemed pretty dry considering I removed it to rest when it reached 195°. Tomorrow I plan to slice it very thin and let it simmer in some bbq sauce for beef sandwiches. Or, I'll slice it waver thin and warm it up in some beef broth and seve it as sandwiches with some horsey sauce. Either way, it will make decent sandwiches with the added moisture.

Tomorrow I'm smoking a bargain meatloaf. In the cut out bin I found a pound of 85% lean ground beef for $4 and a pound of ground pork marked down to $2. I have tomato sauce, onion, and celery that I'll add to my loaf. I love the 50/50 smoked loaf and thanks once more to @Unforgiven for treat!

Tomorrow I'm smoking a bargain meatloaf. In the cut out bin I found a pound of 85% lean ground beef for $4 and a pound of ground pork marked down to $2. I have tomato sauce, onion, and celery that I'll add to my loaf. I love the 50/50 smoked loaf and thanks once more to @Unforgiven for treat!
I local farmer gifted me some farm raised pork sausage that I may 50/50 with ground beef for a meatloaf this weekend. Always a good cook. :)

Bone in Pork Chop on the grill. Using Jack Daniel's charcoal

PXL_20240611_224645891~2.jpg
PXL_20240611_230846405.MP~2.jpg

Last edited:
I had beef ribs in mind to smoke tomorrow. My butcher buddy was working yesterday when I was shopping and he said he had ordered some beef ribs but didn't get any. I told him I was wanting baby back ribs the last two or three times and I had to buy St Louis style ribs. He admitted that the BB ribs have been hard to get lately but he had some. He gave me a wink and said and they are on sale. He said pick one out so I did and he marked it down from sixteen bucks to five and half bucks. He might not always have what I'm wanting but he sure treats me right.

I'll deviate some from the 3-2-1 cook by adding an hour in the finish hour. I like my ribs pretty dry.
Speaking of dry, I wrapped my St Louis ribs in pink butcher paper vs foil last weekend and was very pleased with the result. I'll by using the butcher paper on the baby backs tomorrow. The paper lets the ribs steam and speeds up the cook like foil but it allows the meat to breath some and most of the grease is absorbed by the paper or drains away.

I was super happy with my baby back ribs. I never add a glaze at the finish but I did today. My wife doesn't want the sugars but she isn't here. I used a combination of BBQ sauce, butter, and honey and let it set as the rack finished cooking. The added sweet over the spicy rub made for a tasty rib. I used the pink butcher paper wrap and I have quickly become a big fan of the product for rib wraps. The end result was a tasty but not greasy rack of ribs that were sweet with a spicy finish.

I just put a spatchcocked chicken on the smoker. I rubbed it with oil and then dusted the bird with sage, oregano, smoked paprika, garlic salt, and coarse pepper.
I have the smoker set at 225°. If it starts to run late before it's done I'll turn up the smoker temp. We are having a broccoli cauliflower medley with our chicken.

The spatchcocked chicken took four hours and fifteen minutes to reach temps. I was looking for 150° in the thickest part of the breast near the bone and 175° where the thigh meets the body. The chicken was done to perfection and we just ate early. If I could figure out a means to crisp up the skin, the spatchcocked chicken would be my favorite way to prepare the bird.

I'm cooking for the masses at the cabin tomorrow. I'll get down there early morning and get the pork butt on the smoker. I'm also smoking some baby backs and some country style spareribs. It should make for a fun day and some good eats.

I made a Costco run this afternoon. I bought very little meat. I was hoping for some beef ribs and they had a lot of racks for sale. They had been butchered where there was only connecting meat and zero on top of the ribs. I didn't even pay any attention to the price... I wasn't interested. I almost bought a whole packer that they had for $3.99 a pound. I dug through the cooler and couldn't find a single packer that wasn't half fat so I passed them up. I saw packages containing five one pound packages of ground beef for $21 that caught my eye before I saw it was 91% lean. That is just too lean for me. I wasn't needing ground beef so I didn't look at their bulk packages that are around 5 pounds and 87% lean to check their price. They had some very nice looking ribeye steaks. They were priced at $14.99 a pound. I thought seriously about the steaks but didn't want to buy four steaks. I came home with a package of fresh caught Atlantic cod. I have no idea how I spent almost three hundred dollars :)

Tomorrow I'm smoking a flatiron steak. I'll spice it with coarse salt and pepper and slow smoke it. I'll wrap it when it reaches 160°-165° internal temp and continue cooking until it reaches 195°. I like to rest it an hour or so in the hotbox before serving. I'm baking some potatoes to go with the meat.

I just put a brined brisket flat on the smoker. Should be ready for 5:30 tonight. This has been in my freezer calling my name for a while. It was a steal to find a whole 18lb packer for $3.99 / lb, so I grabbed it and froze it instead of cooking it right away.

Back
Top Bottom