• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Make sure you can actually get the $150 deal. Looked to me like plenty of people were rejected for various reasons.

Do you get charged a restocking fee?

Now another thing that kind of irked me was the unbelievable taxes they charge in California. They charge taxes on the full retail (not the marked down retail). I was at the tail end of a massive ordering sequence when this came up, so was too ***ged out to figure out on the fly if I wanted to bail on the deal altogether. We're talking about $60 of taxes here.

So anyway - I'll figure that out later. What a pain. Better be a nice phone. :)

Reactions: McLabia
Upvote 0
Make sure you can actually get the $150 deal. Looked to me like plenty of people were rejected for various reasons.

Do you get charged a restocking fee?

Now another thing that kind of irked me was the unbelievable taxes they charge in California. They charge taxes on the full retail (not the marked down retail). I was at the tail end of a massive ordering sequence when this came up, so was too ***ged out to figure out on the fly if I wanted to bail on the deal altogether. We're talking about $60 of taxes here.

So anyway - I'll figure that out later. What a pain. Better be a nice phone. :)

Dude, thats why I bought mine online and NOT from Verizon. Paying tax on the full 600 instead of the 249.99 is lame. I paid 180 and paid NO tax.

Upvote 0
Just called Verizon about this as well and no dice.
The rep didn't want to give me any discount at all actually. He stuck with the $249.99 although when I go online and log into my Verizon account the price comes up as $239.99. I'm not eligible for my $50 NE2 till September, but since it is the last time I can use this, would it really hurt Verizon to give it to me now instead of September?

Oh and the rep also tried to tell me that there is no 4G LTE coverage at all in any major metropolitan area, but that 4G LTE only works at 3 airports atm.... um yeah?!

I just had to chuckle "So you did not roll out 4G LTE to 39 initial markets in Dec 2010 and 49 more markets in January? So the network currently does not reach most of the large cities and reaches 110 million people?"

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Verizon and the lady said that there was a special promotion that was mailed out to select customers and since I ordered my phone before they mailed out the flier, she got a supervisor to give me a $100 credit on my account. I did a #BAL right after talking with her and it said I had a credit/adjustment for $-166.00 lol so she gave me even more!

For those of you not getting it, you just don't know how to talk to the reps :p

Reactions: jhsu123
Upvote 0
Dcoy, were you by chance close to your contract end? I called today and also got denied. I was told that most of the rebate offers went to customers who were close to or out of contract, which I was not.

Nope, I actually was not eligible for my yearly until May of 2011, and my new every two was like November or December 2011. When I called and ordered my TB last Thursday, the rep got a supervisor to change my upgrade date so they could give me the two year price, but she said I wouldn't get the 50$ early upgrade or new every two.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Verizon and the lady said that there was a special promotion that was mailed out to select customers and since I ordered my phone before they mailed out the flier, she got a supervisor to give me a $100 credit on my account. I did a #BAL right after talking with her and it said I had a credit/adjustment for $-166.00 lol so she gave me even more!

For those of you not getting it, you just don't know how to talk to the reps :p

#BAL? Balance?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I bought my TB on release day for $249 and just saw this post about the promotional price. I called the sales number that was posted to get the deal and was told this special pricing was just for people in the Chicago area. I tried my best, without getting pissy, to get them to honor the price for me, but was denied. Might try to return my TB to the local store and see if they will do anything. I like the phone, but not in love with it, so returning it wouldn't be a huge deal to me. I hate when companies offer reduced prices to select regions and make the rest of us pay the full price.

Upvote 0
Working for a school. They added the discount while in contract. I get a discount on feature phones, accessories, And all parts of my plan. THe plan it self and the data plan.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I realize you are receiving a State Employee discount on your phone and service. This thread is about the additional $100 purchase discount. It seems unlikely VZW would post (only in limited areas) and send out printed flyers to only those who enjoy State Employee discounts. It appears that some people "qualify" for this additional discount and many others do not. We are trying to flush out what the "qualifications" parameters are (for the additional $100 purchase discount) to make sure that anyone who "qualifies" may enjoy it. Obviously, VZW is doing some sort of dance and is trying to limit giving out the discount (especially if they already have our money). It is not exactly "Good Will" when a company plays games like this. If they are offering a discount, it seems appropriate to clearly and openly state the exact parameters.

Are you saying you think you received the additional discount, that you requested after your initial purchase, only on the basis of your State Employee discount or do you fall into some other qualification particular to this specific additional purchase discount? T.I.A.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones