• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.0 or 2.1 = faster eris?

arock

Jan 4, 2010
MD
Tech specs between the Motorola Droid and HTC Droid Eries are not too different. Slightly faster processor on the Moto and slightly more RAM on the HTC. But in the end the Moto is fair amount faster when doing most things. Yes the HTC is running sense, which is essentially an application that is always running, but it really shouldn't cause the phone to lag as bad as it does.

So........

Anyone else think that maybe 2.0 is just a faster, more efficient os than 1.5? And that the upgrade, whenever it comes, will fix alot of the lag issues with eris?

Just a thought.

The Eris doesn't lag though..

Yes it does. I've used the Moto Droid and opening apps and navigating menus are a much quicker experience. I was also looking at a friends Iphone and how quickly he was moving from app to app, and couldn't help but see that my Eris was much slower. There is a noticeable lag when opening apps, or even going from a notification to the actual email. Still love the phone but it needs work.

Upvote 0
So the 550mhz Arm processor in the Moto is really that much better than the 528mhz Qualcomm in the HTC?

I'm not saying that. It could very well be the version of Android. 2.0/2.1 could bring a lot of speed to the Eris. I can't say what causes it, but I know it's there. As I said I still love it, but hoping for an improvement in future updates.

Upvote 0
Anyone else think that maybe 2.0 is just a faster, more efficient os than 1.5?

Doubtful. 2.x is more "feature rich"; for instance the text-to-speech APIs/libraries which make turn-by-turn navigation a little easier on App developers. No doubt there are some bug fixes and architectural changes in some places which will make certain operations faster, but the typical course of software development is "hey, the software got bigger and more bloated - we better use a faster processor".

And that the upgrade, whenever it comes, will fix alot of the lag issues with eris?

Mine doesn't lag - can't say what might be going on with other folk's handsets. You might see fixes and improvements in a few places; and a whole new crop of bugs to complain about as well.

eu1

Upvote 0
So the 550mhz Arm processor in the Moto is really that much better than the 528mhz Qualcomm in the HTC?

Yes. The Eris/Hero has the same processor as the G1 phone, just twice the memory. It was outdated when they put it in the Hero, and even more outdated when they made the Eris. Luckily the Android OS is pretty lightweight and the phone recoups because of this. The processor in the Droid has been benchmarked to be about 2x as fast as the Qualcomm. I'm on my phone but a google search should easily find you those results. The Sense UI is awesome, but they did it an injustice giving it such a slow processor. But, if you think your Eris is slow, pick up a Blackberry Curve for a week. You will gain a better appreciation for your Eris. Basically, yes its much slower than the Droid but it still performs well for its price, and it looks good to boot.

Upvote 0
My Eris IS the fastest on the planet! :p Seriously, I think that if, like a previous poster said about the BB Curve, if you've been on a POS phone and come to the Eris, you just don't understand comments about the lag. Not denying it't there but just saying that it's not very noticeable when you've stepped up from pure crap. :)

I think that 2.1 will, indeed speed the phone up and make the most of the processor. Phones are pretty much released on beta software these days because there's just too much of a push to get the next greatest thing out there. 1st Gen iphone case in point. I think 2.1 takes care of those things that they wanted to work on but just didn't have the time to collaborate between HTC Sense UI and 2.1. Moto just went with stock Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones