• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 Froyo for the Captivate Discussion

Saw this on XDA, thought I'd pass it along..

Samsung has released official 2.2 source code for I9000.

Look what is available now on Samsung:

GT-I9000_OpenSource_Froyo_update_JPM.zip

Looks like the rumors were true about a pending release. Hopefully we won't be far behind.

It is 174MB - not sure what is included yet.... still downloading.

EDIT:

It has the i9000 kernel and platform as 2 separate zipped tar files.

available here:
project-voodoo's samsung_kernel_sources_gt-i9000 at froyo - GitHub

So let the developing begin. :)

Upvote 0
2.2 is starting to be rolled out for the original mytouch 3g today. I no longer have T-Mobile so I called them. They referred me to HTC. HTC said that all the original mytouch phones should be getting the OTA update before the 25th, regardless of carrier, just as long as there is either wifi or data plan.

On a side note, T-Mobile said that 2.2 should be rolled out for all eligible android phone by the end of the month. I wonder if the same is so for AT&T?

Upvote 0
I had to go back to a Nandroid backup from last week. Once I went back to 2.1 I plugged in the phone and Kies Mini said there was an update available that was released on September 10th. I told it to update my phone - it downloaded (took forever), flashed to the phone or whatever and rebooted.

Once it rebooted I lost ALL my apps, the bloatware was back and my phone was right back to stock. It was quite frustrating - it was as though I did an Odin flash even though I didn't I just went to Cognition beta6 and moved on.

Flashing your phone with Kies will reset your phone...similar to Odin. Only updating via OTA will allow you to keep your settings/apps/etc.

Upvote 0
Flashing your phone with Kies will reset your phone...similar to Odin. Only updating via OTA will allow you to keep your settings/apps/etc.

This was not my experience. I flashed my phone via Kies last night. None of my apps, contacts, messages, etc were lost. The only thing I lost was root privileges. But it was very easy to re-root the phone.

DW

Upvote 0
The first time I updated it didn't do this. I'm wondering if they changed the update since it first came out - note the September 10th date on the firmware date. Either way, Cognition has been working quite well.

Upvote 0
Quick question, do we have to upgrade to JH7 before upgrading to Froyo when it finally comes out? I had a lot of problems with my last Captivate after upgrading to JH7 (random restarts, freezes, etc), so I am staying with JF6 for now. I am worried that AT&T won't let me upgrade to Froyo if I don't upgrade to JH7, and by the time Froyo comes out, FH7 won't be available on AT&T's update server?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Samsung Press Release regarding froyo
Samsung GALAXY S Offers New Android 2.2 Upgrade
New platform upgrade provides enhanced experience on the go

SEOUL, Korea - October 18, 2010 - Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a leading mobile phone provider, today announced the Android[TM] 2.2 (Froyo) upgrade to the Samsung GALAXY S, giving users access to new features, enhanced navigation applications and improved performance.

The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available via Kies, Samsung's unique in-house software upgrade program. Kies can be downloaded at the Samsung mobile website (:: Mobile Exciting!! - Samsung Mobile ::).

The GALAXY S is Samsung's cleverly designed smartphone with a bright 4-inch SUPER AMOLED screen and a 1 GHz application processor, giving users an intelligent, immersive and integrated mobile experience. The Android 2.2 upgrade offers voice-controlled GPS through Google MapsTM with Navigation, faster performance by JIT(Just in Time) compiler. Additionally, further functionalities including Search in-browser, Adobe(R) Flash(R) Player 10.1, improved customization options will be provided with OS upgrade.

- Google MapsTM with Navigation: GPS navigation system with voice guidance
- Adobe(R) Flash(R) Player 10.1: Allow the web browser to make full use of the whole web
- Setup Wizard: Quickly customize the GALAXY S and access networks with ease
- Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit : Preview by pinch-zoom
- Search in-Browser : Google[TM], Translate, Wikipedia, Dictionary

The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available from the mid of October 2010 in the Nordic region and gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa and rest of the world.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones