• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3dEvo: Pre-release miscellany

After finally hearing the good news (release date) I returned my recently upgraded OG EVO in preparation for the E3D, as well as pre-ordered. I had a question about the preorder that I figured some of you would know better than most of the people at sprint (at least at this point in time). My question is, how exactly does the pre-order work? Am I gauranteed the 3D on the 24th no matter the time I go in? Or do I still have to be there at 8am and hope I get one? Just curious!

Thanks for the help and love the discussions here! The 24th can't come soon enough!

Upvote 0
After finally hearing the good news (release date) I returned my recently upgraded OG EVO in preparation for the E3D, as well as pre-ordered. I had a question about the preorder that I figured some of you would know better than most of the people at sprint (at least at this point in time). My question is, how exactly does the pre-order work? Am I gauranteed the 3D on the 24th no matter the time I go in? Or do I still have to be there at 8am and hope I get one? Just curious!

Thanks for the help and love the discussions here! The 24th can't come soon enough!

I'm not sure about Radio Shack, but with Best Buy and Sprint Corp stores when you pre-order you are put on a waiting list. When the shipment comes in, they call #1 set up an appointment and so on. If for some reason you are #30 and they only received 25 phones, you have to wait for their next shipment.

But it seems this time around the stores will be able to order as many as they want unlike the EVO 4G launch where there was less supply and more demand.

The Sprint Store I called told me "Don't worry, I can order as many as I need for the launch day so if you put down $50, you will get one on the 24th".

The Best Buy store I put my money down at said it shouldn't be a problem since there has been very few people asking about the EVO 3D.

Reactions: mgm0918
Upvote 0
Unfortunately I am not. I'm an AT&T/iPhone guy.

If I wanted it on the 24th for sure, this is what I'd do. Go pre-order at a Sprint store. Pay the $50 and get the gift card. Then I'd go pre-order at a Best Buy store. Pay the $50 and get the gift card.

On the 24th I'd call the Sprint store to see if they have enough to cover your pre-order. If so, go in there and get it. Then return the $50 gift card to Best Buy or use it for something else. If Sprint store tells you they can't fill your pre-order on the 24th, call Best Buy and see where you are in line there. If they can fill your order, go there and get it. Now you are stuck with a $50 gift car from Sprint you can use on accessories or something.

Upvote 0
I asked about this in another thread, but it relates here too.

If the rumored $550 full retail price is accurate, and you don't qualify for a full upgrade, why wouldn't you just open another Sprint account, buy the Evo 3D on contract, cancel that account the same day and pay the $200 ETF, and then activate the new Evo 3D on your regular Sprint account?

If you save $350 buying the device on contract ($550 full retail versus $200 on contract) and the ETF is only $200, you could pay the ETF and still end up paying $150 less than full retail.

Why wouldn't anyone want to do this? Is there something in the fine print that prevents this?

Upvote 0

If the rumored $550 full retail price is accurate, and you don't qualify for a full upgrade, why wouldn't you just open another Sprint account, buy the Evo 3D on contract, cancel that account the same day and pay the $200 ETF, and then activate the new Evo 3D on your regular Sprint account?

If you save $350 buying the device on contract ($550 full retail versus $200 on contract) and the ETF is only $200, you could pay the ETF and still end up paying $150 less than full retail.

Why wouldn't anyone want to do this? Is there something in the fine print that prevents this?

But then you'd also have to take into consideration that if a new account were started, would it be an "add-on" account to an existing account OR a completely "new" account with the minimum needed $69.99+$10 account.

In order for a person to need to pay the ETF, they'd have to have the account active for over 30 days, otherwise it falls into the 30 day trial period. A

nd I don't think the "account" fees are refundable, are they? I'm actually asking because I don't know, since I've never had a different provider from Sprint.

Upvote 0
But then you'd also have to take into consideration that if a new account were started, would it be an "add-on" account to an existing account OR a completely "new" account with the minimum needed $69.99+$10 account.

In order for a person to need to pay the ETF, they'd have to have the account active for over 30 days, otherwise it falls into the 30 day trial period. A

nd I don't think the "account" fees are refundable, are they? I'm actually asking because I don't know, since I've never had a different provider from Sprint.

The fees aren't refundable.

Upvote 0

Well it would be completely new account, in someone else's (my wife's) name. And it would be a family plan with 3 lines.

So let me see, even if it stayed active for 30 days, the plan would be what, around $150 for a month? Plus $600 for 3 new Evo 3Ds, and $600 in ETF fees. That makes a grand total of $1350. If I buy those same 3 Evo 3Ds full retail at $550 each, I'm looking at $1650.

Is there any reason why I should not go this route? It seems silly to me to pay an extra $300 for the exact same thing.

Upvote 0

I could be wrong here but I think you have to keep service activated for 30 days in order to keep the 150.00 and 200.00 discounts or you have to return the undamaged device. So again to my understanding is if you canceled the service the next day you would have to return the device and pay only the restocking fee or if you are trying to keep the phone pay full cost for the device (the difference left )and the early termination fee (so 550.00). Add that to what you have already paid and it doesn't work out. I am sure there is some loophole somewhere but Sprint has found and closed most of them. What happens if you don't pay them? Well your device ESN becomes bad and they throw a collection agency on you.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong here but I think you have to keep service activated for 30 days in order to keep the 150.00 and 200.00 discounts or you have to return the undamaged device. So again to my understanding is if you canceled the service the next day you would have to return the device and pay only the restocking fee or if you are trying to keep the phone pay full cost for the device (the difference left )and the early termination fee (so 550.00). Add that to what you have already paid and it doesn't work out. I am sure there is some loophole somewhere but Sprint has found and closed most of them. What happens if you don't pay them? Well your device ESN becomes bad and they throw a collection agency on you.
So if I pay for the month of service, can I put the device on my other account right then or does it have to stay on that new account for 30 days?

Even paying for a month of service appears to come out significantly cheaper than paying full retail.

Upvote 0
Well it would be completely new account, in someone else's (my wife's) name. And it would be a family plan with 3 lines.

So let me see, even if it stayed active for 30 days, the plan would be what, around $150 for a month? Plus $600 for 3 new Evo 3Ds, and $600 in ETF fees. That makes a grand total of $1350. If I buy those same 3 Evo 3Ds full retail at $550 each, I'm looking at $1650.

Is there any reason why I should not go this route? It seems silly to me to pay an extra $300 for the exact same thing.

The cheapest I found for 3 device family line is 179.98 (that is with the 10.00 add ons but not including taxes) but that 30.00 doesn't matter for this discussion. To answer you yes it would be cheaper to do it that way if you keep the account for more than 30 days. However you would have 3 phones with different numbers for over a month. Maybe not a big deal at all for you, I don't know what your set up is, but personally for me it is just way more hassle than it is worth. Again that is me personally. This might be a great avenue for some to pursue.

Upvote 0
So if I pay for the month of service, can I put the device on my other account right then or does it have to stay on that new account for 30 days?

Even paying for a month of service appears to come out significantly cheaper than paying full retail.

I believe, and again I could be wrong here, but in order to keep the discounts you must keep that phone activated on that line for the entire 30 days. Some people have had success in the past with number swaps so there may be ways around it. Again I am sure there are loopholes to get through if you have the time and patience to do it.

Actually after reading your post in another thread.... If you take into account that your other three lines have a 75.00 discount then you are looking at a total of 1424.97 for 3 devices which is only around 75.00 more than the new account canceling route costs. Hardly seems worth the hassle to save 75.00.

Upvote 0
The cheapest I found for 3 device family line is 179.98 (that is with the 10.00 add ons but not including taxes) but that 30.00 doesn't matter for this discussion. To answer you yes it would be cheaper to do it that way if you keep the account for more than 30 days. However you would have 3 phones with different numbers for over a month. Maybe not a big deal at all for you, I don't know what your set up is, but personally for me it is just way more hassle than it is worth. Again that is me personally. This might be a great avenue for some to pursue.

I believe, and again I could be wrong here, but in order to keep the discounts you must keep that phone activated on that line for the entire 30 days. Some people have had success in the past with number swaps so there may be ways around it. Again I am sure there are loopholes to get through if you have the time and patience to do it.

So yeah, I would not want 3 extra numbers. I would prefer to just immediately put the new phones on the old account. And the new account could have 3 old phones that nobody ever uses for 30 days, and then get cancelled on day 31.

Otherwise, some sort of call forwarding would work I guess.

Upvote 0
So yeah, I would not want 3 extra numbers. I would prefer to just immediately put the new phones on the old account. And the new account could have 3 old phones that nobody ever uses for 30 days, and then get cancelled on day 31.

Otherwise, some sort of call forwarding would work I guess.

I updated my above comment but You forgot to factor in the 75.00 discount you have for each of the three lines so total you would save by doing the cancel route is about 75.00 total. Check my math though.

Upvote 0
I updated my above comment but You forgot to factor in the 75.00 discount you have for each of the three lines so total you would save by doing the cancel route is about 75.00 total. Check my math though.

No, I am not going to sign a 2 year contract to save $75. That is not an option. So full retail is the price for those 3 lines.

My understanding is if I take the $75 discount right now on those lines, I will not be eligible for the full upgrade on those lines for 2 years. If I don't take that $75 discount, I get the full upgrade next year.

So I'll just wait. In fact, I may just start a new account and get all 4 of them there. Even though I will get hit with an extra ETF, at least I will be out of contract on all my lines in a year. Then I can port my numbers to Google Voice with no ETF, and never have to worry about this type of thing again.

Upvote 0
No, I am not going to sign a 2 year contract to save $75. That is not an option. So full retail is the price for those 3 lines.

My understanding is if I take the $75 discount right now on those lines, I will not be eligible for the full upgrade on those lines for 2 years. If I don't take that $75 discount, I get the full upgrade next year.

So I'll just wait. In fact, I may just start a new account and get all 4 of them there. Even though I will get his with an extra ETF, at least I will be out of contract on all my lines in a year. Then I can port my numbers to Google Voice with no ETF, and never have to worry about this type of thing again.

Ok so next year all 4 of your lines will have 150.00 discount plus the 200.00 instant rebate. So the next latest and greatest will only cost 800.00 which is 500.00 cheaper. Just talking out loud here, I see your point but there has to be a headache in there otherwise a ton more would do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones