• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3dEvo: Pre-release miscellany

Does the RS ad today actually say June 24th or just preorder your EVO today? I called RS and BB and they say there is no release date yet. BB said early July late June. I need to know cause I am going to rebuy an EVO today and return it within 30 days. But BB has the EVO right now for 99 bucks and there is no restocking fee he said I can get the EVO and if I change my mind in a few weeks I can return everything and they can undo my contract and reverse my upgrade. But Sprint just gave me a 100 bucks last week to resign. So I don't want that to get messed up.

No, but if you look at the RS EVO 3d webpage at the bottom, it states trade in offer good starting 6/24 so more speculation that's the date. :)

Upvote 0
Well I'm greedy and couldn't stand to be without my EVO. Sprint bought mine for 150 and it was already wiped anyway so I just bought a new one at Sprint today for 150 and they billed my account which had a 150 credit. And she actually told me there's this new EVO 3D coming out and that they just got the official word yesterday that it is the 24th and she said I have a 30 day period to exchange but I have to pay a 35 dollar restocking fee which I don't care. I had never bought from Best Buy before so I went with Sprint cause they bill my account and this way I can just exchange on the 24th when the 3D comes out since I preordered already and I'm not worried about 35 bucks just having an EVO for 3 weeks over my purple lotus is great. I missed my calendar and internet and much more.. I just have to be so careful with it though but I still have my good Seidio case and I have a screen protector.

So i'm thinking i'll buy the original EVO around the 15th so i can get the port credit of $125 since it expires on 6/23. Then i'll have till July 15th to exchange for the EVO 3D.

Doesn't make sense to not take advantage of that since i'll be switching from AT&T.

Upvote 0
If you go to Device Simulator Care , press Help & How-To, then scroll down to Perform a Master Reset Via Hardware, and go through the screens it will show the phone with S-Off :D
attachment.php

Upvote 0
No Sprint has a 35 dollar restocking fee unless there's something wrong with the phone on there end. I got to have the phone in the same condition as when I bought it. Best Buy didn't have a restocking fee they told me and there EVO was 99 but it's easier for me to go back into a Sprint store and they billed my account plus I have a preorder on the 3D at a different Sprint store. They weren't open as long as this other one so when I go to pick up my 3D I Preordered I'll return this and pay. Sprint gave me a 100 dollar credit already anyway for resigning so when I exchange this I paid 150 I'll owe 50 but I already put 50 down so I'll be even. I came out 50 bucks ahead since Sprint gave me a 100 dollar credit so I don't mind paying the 35 restocking fee. I still come out not paying anything for my EVO. Now to set up my emails and download a few apps. Not gonna do too much to this phone since it's gonna be wiped again anyway in 3 weeks.

Wait, i thought Sprint didn't have a restocking fee?

And also, i was going through the device stimulator Device Simulator Care

And in the hardware part, i don't see a notification light. I hope this isn't the case.

Upvote 0
Please forgive me if it's obvious, but what is the significance of 'S-Off'?

I could be wrong, but I also think it means you don't need to root the phone to have superuser access. This would mean you don't have to root the phone to gave free wifi. I can't believe they'd release the phone with S-off. If so, that's awesome.

Reactions: rufio1969
Upvote 0
Well I'm greedy and couldn't stand to be without my EVO. Sprint bought mine for 150 and it was already wiped anyway so I just bought a new one at Sprint today for 150 and they billed my account which had a 150 credit. And she actually told me there's this new EVO 3D coming out and that they just got the official word yesterday that it is the 24th and she said I have a 30 day period to exchange but I have to pay a 35 dollar restocking fee which I don't care. I had never bought from Best Buy before so I went with Sprint cause they bill my account and this way I can just exchange on the 24th when the 3D comes out since I preordered already and I'm not worried about 35 bucks just having an EVO for 3 weeks over my purple lotus is great. I missed my calendar and internet and much more.. I just have to be so careful with it though but I still have my good Seidio case and I have a screen protector.

You been making me LOL for the past week and half. Every time you talk about that lotus you always say purple lotus and never just lotus, I don't know why but I just find that funny as hell. Anyway I am glad you got an evo back in anticipation of the the 3vo and not have to worry about that purple lotus any more.

Upvote 0
So i'm thinking i'll buy the original EVO around the 15th so i can get the port credit of $125 since it expires on 6/23. Then i'll have till July 15th to exchange for the EVO 3D.

Doesn't make sense to not take advantage of that since i'll be switching from AT&T.

This is basically the same exact scheme that I've settled on. My only remaining issue is whether I preorder or not and where......hmmmmm

Upvote 0
This is basically the same exact scheme that I've settled on. My only remaining issue is whether I preorder or not and where......hmmmmm

In regards to where, barring a successful negotiation with a CSR, the port-in credit is only available at a Sprint store. I was going to go with Best Buy, but the port-in is not normally valid there.

I ported from T-Mobile without an issue at my local store.

Upvote 0
In regards to where, barring a successful negotiation with a CSR, the port-in credit is only available at a Sprint store. I was going to go with Best Buy, but the port-in is not normally valid there.

I ported from T-Mobile without an issue at my local store.

I will be going from At&t but same idea. So I can hit up my local sprint branch, pick up the evo for the later port-in credit, and also pre-order the evo 3d all in one trip right? Then when 6/24 comes around (lord willin') I can pull off the fully legal and simple switcheroo, right?

I'd really consider just being patient and wait for the 24th but I don't want to miss out on the $125 if at all possible.

Upvote 0
I will be going from At&t but same idea. So I can hit up my local sprint branch, pick up the evo for the later port-in credit, and also pre-order the evo 3d all in one trip right? Then when 6/24 comes around (lord willin') I can pull off the fully legal and simple switcheroo, right?

This is what I did. I stopped in one day just to ask questions and check out the service in general. I asked the guy point blank if I could pre-order the E3D, pick up the EVO 4G right now as a placeholder for the E3D, still receive the port-in credit and remain on the list. He said yes, but that they were not currently doing a pre-order. He stated that when they did the pre-order, I could do exactly that.

I returned Friday to check in on things. The pre-order had started that day, but only the owner/manager along with an employee's name was on the list. Two were going to the owner for him and his wife and one to the employee. I re-confirmed the pre-order/placeholder/credit/return thing with the employess and they confirmed it. I added my name to be the fourthon the list, picked up my EVO 4G, got the credit.

I went back in today to confirm my credit, pre-order and corporate discount. The owner was there. I talked with him a bit and even discussed what I was doing regarding all of the above. He was very professional and agreed he might have done the same in my place. The only thing he reminded me of was the $35 restocking fee, but I told him I knew of that from his employees already.

TL;DR version: Yes :) Perfectly legal using all of the Sprint terms and conditions in place. Check your local store out and see.

Reactions: dan330 and SRH12
Upvote 0
If you go to Device Simulator Care , press Help & How-To, then scroll down to Perform a Master Reset Via Hardware, and go through the screens it will show the phone with S-Off :D
attachment.php

Next to the S-OFF is "ENG" which means that's the engineering HBOOT, the one that is by default S-OFF. So, in showing us how to use the bootloader functions, could it be that the phone will launch with the Eng HBOOT? seems unlikely. But I'll settle for a release HBOOT that essentially functions exactly like the Eng HBOOT :)

Upvote 0
Next to the S-OFF is "ENG" which means that's the engineering HBOOT, the one that is by default S-OFF. So, in showing us how to use the bootloader functions, could it be that the phone will launch with the Eng HBOOT? seems unlikely. But I'll settle for a release HBOOT that essentially functions exactly like the Eng HBOOT :)

Is there a precedent for this happening in the past? HTC did say no more locked phones, so maybe they either switched it to this prior to launch or may OTA it back to this.

Upvote 0
Is there a precedent for this happening in the past? HTC did say no more locked phones, so maybe they either switched it to this prior to launch or may OTA it back to this.

not that I know of. By definition, an engineering HBOOT is not intended for the public. So at the very minimum, I'd expect HTC to release an HBOOT that isn't the Eng label or version. I would also think the bootloader would shipped locked.

Now, how easy it is to unlock it is up in the air. Sony's phones and Nexus's are trivial. Doesn't require a root exploit. I'm hoping HTC makes it self-unlockable.

Reactions: Emmexx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones