• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G Drops & Standby Battery Drain (Solutions)

I doubt a ROM can ruin a battery, but software could potentially cause it to drain faster (OR report the battery life wrong). Restoring to a pre-root state might be a good experiment in your case. Sounds like you got problems.

I unfortunately don't have the luxury to do that.
My backup got corrupted, so I can't go back to preroot without
going through the whole un-rooting process. :/

I don't know if they're all like that, but it seems to be a common enough problem that it seems like a good bet that your next phone would have the same problem if you just swapped it.

There's not much reason to turn the phone off usually, so I just toggle the setting and live with.

The only other thing that occasionally drains my battery now is the Gallery application not closing itself and eating up the battery, but this is much less frequent than the Standby problem was.

Could an app such as app killer take care of some of these issues? I was told that app killer does no good for an LG Op phone, but when I first got my samsung moment thru sprint, the first thing suggested for battery life was to dl app killer...
Any feedback?

Could an app such as app killer take care of some of these issues? I was told that app killer does no good for an LG Op phone, but when I first got my samsung moment thru sprint, the first thing suggested for battery life was to dl app killer...
Any feedback?

The OpV doesn't need a task killer really... task killers interfere with the way the operating system works on the phone.

Try a Google search, or a forum search, for why task killers are bad. You'll find tons of extremely useful information. ;)

I've been having issues with the battery life for a couple of months now - so bad that I actually carry an extra battery in my wallet. I recently added Watchdog Lite and it alerted me to my Yahoo mail "misbehaving" so I told it to take care of it. Now my battery life is great, also it doesn't overheat - the phone got really hot sometimes. Yahoo mail functions perfectly but I don't get the alerts anymore...I can live without them. I had tried all the other (non-rooted) suggestions and gotten nowhere - so if you're using Yahoo and having battery drain try turning off the alerts - it worked for me!

Di

i was having issues connecting to 3g. I just clicked on the Virgin Mobile "Activate" software and it came up with the This may take a moment 1...2...3 -thingy. And it reconnected it. Be careful though! I also did this once another time when my 3g was behaving normally, and then it cut me off the 3g and put me onto the 1g. So only do the above if your 3g isn't working.

After a bad few days of 3g disconnects, I decided to install Bumblebee ROM because it has the TWS fix installed.

And WOW!

Before the rom, the lowest power state my phone could get was around 25ma. Occasionally I would notice my phone a little warmer than usual and when I pulled up the battery stats history, it was using 200+ma when it wasn't even in use with my battery sucked dry by the end of the day.

After flashing the rom, my phone gets down to 5-6ma and has stayed cool, coldish even.

On a normal day, without any odd warming issues, I would be around 40% by 7pm (12 hrs unplugged). After the rom, I am averaging around 70% battery remaining at 7pm. The battery widget is estimating a time until discharge of over 1.5 days.

My rom is set up exactly like I had with the stock rom with the same widgets and apps. I use latitude and GPS a lot and I have k9 checking for mail every 30 minutes. Gmail is also set to auto sync too.

Tonight, I played with the phone for 30 minutes while my kids were at the dentist. 13 hours from unplug and after normal use and an extended 30 minute on time, I still have 68% battery.

And everything works too. This rom is the rom that should have shipped with the V. Amazing.

I've been having issues with the battery life for a couple of months now - so bad that I actually carry an extra battery in my wallet. I recently added Watchdog Lite and it alerted me to my Yahoo mail "misbehaving" so I told it to take care of it. Now my battery life is great, also it doesn't overheat - the phone got really hot sometimes. Yahoo mail functions perfectly but I don't get the alerts anymore...I can live without them. I had tried all the other (non-rooted) suggestions and gotten nowhere - so if you're using Yahoo and having battery drain try turning off the alerts - it worked for me!

Di
I tried all of the above and my battery usage would still not go beyond 10 hours.
I don't use 3G all the time so I just turn it off when I'm not using it. When I need it, I turn it on. I need voice and text more than data.

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Data Enabled

It's kind of a brute force approach but the other solutions were too complex and had to be entered upon each power cycle. My phone now has 90% battery at the end of the day if I leave it idle.

BTW
A techie type told me a lot of Android phones have power issues. It's more of an Android issue than a phone hardware issue. The iPhone doesn't have this problem (his opinion).

My wife just bought that phone, and with the money that she spends EVERY year on phones from Virgin(Sprint), I have saved on Verizon. The only problem I have ever had with Verizon phones, if you drop them enough times they stop working.

My original phone worked great, used it with factory phone number. Flawless for 5 months. Then I decided to change the phone number which makes the phones service discontinue then you transfer new number over, after that phone fails, no service, or poor reception at home and majority of locations in the city.

So tech support after 5 Weeks!! decided it needs to be replaced, to my amazement it worked. The 3G speeds sucked, but it worked.

My speeds went from 220+kBytes to 6-10kBytes, and after phone replacement that 3g speed remained at 6-20ish kBytes.

I was content though because I could now make phone calls after waiting 5 weeks for a solution, well 2 weeks later I sent an email stating things were good again except the batter only holds a charge for 6-8 hours and 3g was still slow.

The sent a replacement for battery and it seems to hold a charge around 15-25 hours. (Not sure what specs should be)

BUT!.. I now have the same frekn problems I had before, 3G works WORSE!! or never, connection times out, or no connection.

And worse of all my ability to make and receive phone calls is absolute crap, especially where I live. This all Happens after they "RESET" the 3G service on the account.

WTF?! I was told Id get a refund for those 5 weeks that were wasted, which I did not and I am now in the loop of sending tech support messages back in forth. Last I heard a senior engineer was working on it, Ive heard that before! FML.

Any1 know of a real solutions? Maybe hack Sprint towers to letting my phone actually get priority again.. I don't know what to do anymore. :mad:

Amazing -- the Airplane Mode trick has worked for me. Currently have 26% battery remaining, 0% TWS, and most importantly, 1d 8h 10m 24s since it was on the plug. This has been with some Stitcher use, snapping a couple photos, using Twitter and the Browser a bit. Forgot to put it on the charger last night and I figured it would be dead this morning; nope -- still had about 30% remaining. I've left it off the charger today to see how it goes, and I'm at the above stats at 8:24pm. Good times. Hope the trick helps during periods of heavy usage, too.

Also, I love the QuickSettings app. Very handy. Thanks to whomever pointed it out.

ok guys i have a serious battery problem. today i was on 3g for literally 2 hours, and my phone died after being on 100% battery. I did the cdma cdma only tricck and it did nothing as TWS was 55%.

This is abysmal.

Noticed this problem, the nice thing is for Rooted users who have a costume recovery Flashing the Bumblebee ROM fixed well the Standby Call issue. This what I did and see about a 1% battery drain per hour when the phone is idle, I also have the CPU overclocked to 825MHz and use CPU Tuner to manger the governor, and for service switching needs.

The best bet for most people who have this phone would to Root and flash this costume recovery and the Flash the Bumblebee ROM. Stay away for ROM Manger and the ClockworkMod Recovery.

I wasn't paying attention on my last post and thought the poster was stock. Duh.

Flashing back to a stock app or the Harmonia ROM is the best way to get the activate app.
The only problem with flashing the Bumblebee ROM is it isn't compatible with the new Hitachi screen which is installed on MOST 2.2.2 OS "V's". the Xionia kernel or pica07remix kernel would need to be flashed over it to get out of the black screen if flashed on a phone with the Hitachi sceen.

Does this work on LG Thrive? Also, should I turn off 3G and wifi except when I need to web browse? Do I then need to turn one of them on to get email on the phone? Lots of questions from a beginner.

You do need either for e-mail. I am fortunate and can stay on wifi most of the time and set it to stay on.when screen is off. Battery life is great when you can do this. It's not searching for signal.

I have been using only wifi when ever possible and the battery life is great. My LG Thrive has a toggle to turn data on and off so when I need it I just turn it on, then turn it right off again. Battery sometimes lasts 3 days. Also, data is not being used for all the background syncing, so it also lasts longer. Thanks for explaining the basics.

New Optimus V user. Worked fine out of the box. 3G, 1x, wifi all OK. Started adding apps and started having data probs. Did many of the fixes listed to get battery life better. Battery life seems better. However, can't get a 3G or even 1x signal at this point. Wifi works fine. Installed Juice Defender, tried airplane on/off, and *#*#number#*#*. Nothing works. The 3G map of my area shows solid coverage. I understand that Sprint is having problems but I haven't seen a 3G on my phone since day 2. Is it poor signal or a phone prob?

Wow, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this issue, but I'm sad to see there's no clearcut answer.

I've had my Optimus V for almost a year. Last week I started noticing I had no signal and found this forum. I hadn't installed any apps recently, but I uninstalled the last few I've had for a few months and that didn't fix anything. I don't root my phone or whatever -- total novice when it comes to this stuff.

Here's my question. Will doing a factory reset on my phone fix this issue? I've been so, so happy with my phone up until now, even with the slooooow 3G when I'm at work in Chicago, but I'd rather know now than later if I just need to get a new phone.

Wow, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this issue, but I'm sad to see there's no clearcut answer.

I've had my Optimus V for almost a year. Last week I started noticing I had no signal and found this forum. I hadn't installed any apps recently, but I uninstalled the last few I've had for a few months and that didn't fix anything. I don't root my phone or whatever -- total novice when it comes to this stuff.

Here's my question. Will doing a factory reset on my phone fix this issue? I've been so, so happy with my phone up until now, even with the slooooow 3G when I'm at work in Chicago, but I'd rather know now than later if I just need to get a new phone.

It's not just the OpV that has this issue. There's tons of other different types of phones that suffer from the TWS (time without a signal) bug. You're best bet is to root and install a custom rom. Most rom devs have figured out how to fix it.

Don't be skittish to root and install a rom. I'm a 47 year old mom of 2.. if I can do it, anyone can lol. ;)

Before I rooted and installed BACKside, I always used the xtr50fix apk that you can find at a few forums if you Google it. It always did the trick for me by auto-toggling airplane mode on boot. But now, there's no need. Most ROMs (all that I've tried anyway) do not have the 50% TWS problem at all, in any form.

I would advise against the *#*#4636#*#* method, as I've had my 3G just die on me altogether sometimes while using that until I rebooted or toggled something else just by playing around. Use the xtr50fix first. If that doesn't work, then go to more drastic measures would be my advice (read: use a custom ROM).

Back
Top Bottom