• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G Hotspot still working

rob316

Apr 13, 2010
I checked the Hotspot on my TB and it's still working. I also ran the software update it goes out looking for an update and then the searching box disappears but no message comes up that no new software or new software was found. The updater app is still running as I saw it in Running Application app. Whats up with that.

It will still work but you might get charged for use of it

From what i remember when I had my DINC, you can turn on the hotspot but when you would go to a web site with the computer connected to the hotspot, you would get a wall garden Verizon web page letting you know that if you want hot spot service you need to sign up, this did not happen, you need to opt in first. So who knows.

Upvote 0
So, just to make sure I understood you correctly. You received an OTA update from Verizon this morning? What did the update say/what was it called? I'll assume you're not rooted, correct? Has anyone else that's not rooted received anyhting similar? I'm wondering how this is all going to unfold for rooted users. I assumed the update would be back end, but it looks like it's not.

Upvote 0
So, just to make sure I understood you correctly. You received an OTA update from Verizon this morning? What did the update say/what was it called? I'll assume you're not rooted, correct? Has anyone else that's not rooted received anyhting similar? I'm wondering how this is all going to unfold for rooted users. I assumed the update would be back end, but it looks like it's not.

No I did not receive any update. I just wanted to point out that when I went to Software Update and did the check for new update nothing happened, usually I would get no new update found message but I did not get any message.

Upvote 0
No I did not receive any update. I just wanted to point out that when I went to Software Update and did the check for new update nothing happened, usually I would get no new update found message but I did not get any message.

Oh, ok got it, I misread your post. I thought it was strange they'd roll out an OTA as you could easily just not accept it

Upvote 0
I also ran the software update it goes out looking for an update and then the searching box disappears but no message comes up that no new software or new software was found. The updater app is still running as I saw it in Running Application app. Whats up with that.

I just posted on the Verizon forum about the same issue. Up until today I had been getting messages telling me that either there was, or wasn't an update, or an Error Service Unavailable message. Today it's doing the same thing as yours. I get the Checking for software update message and then it just goes away without even letting me know if it did or didn't connect. Apparently they can push some kind of change to us even if it isn't very helpful.

Upvote 0
I am on it now, I called VZW to make sure I wouldnt get charged. She said it was over, and I asked what happened to the text they were going to send out...no answer. Then I asked, well what if it still works, can I use it free of charge? Her reply was "Sir, you wont be able to, its not on your account I just checked." I again asked, if it does work can I use it? She just proceeded to tell me it wouldnt and I said ok thanks have a good day. And it still works just fine...and if I get charged I will have enough of a story for them to not charge me.

Upvote 0
I am on it now, I called VZW to make sure I wouldnt get charged. She said it was over, and I asked what happened to the text they were going to send out...no answer. Then I asked, well what if it still works, can I use it free of charge? Her reply was "Sir, you wont be able to, its not on your account I just checked." I again asked, if it does work can I use it? She just proceeded to tell me it wouldnt and I said ok thanks have a good day. And it still works just fine...and if I get charged I will have enough of a story for them to not charge me.

I just called V support too, the tech was knowledgeable and said that the update to remove the hot spot feature started to go out yesterday and that it should hit all phones by Sunday. I also inquired about the Mr2 update and GB he said that he could not tell me the exact date because he is not allowed to but in his words the MR2 and GB update will be coming out "incredibly soon"

Upvote 0
I just called V support too, the tech was knowledgeable and said that the update to remove the hot spot feature started to go out yesterday and that it should hit all phones by Sunday. I also inquired about the Mr2 update and GB he said that he could not tell me the exact date because he is not allowed to but in his words the MR2 and GB update will be coming out "incredibly soon"[/QUOTE]

i think the rep meant to say, "the MR2 and GB update will be coming out FOR THE INCREDIBLE 2 soon" :)
and whadda ya know? it is :)

darn CSR

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones