• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A New DX Update...for those who still care!

Rooted and frozen apps before update. Took the update. Works fine with no issues. Lost root. Used Droid 3 root. Now rooted and all is identical to pre OTA update. Smooth experience, HOWEVER TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
When I now plug in my phone to my computer, it launches the web browser and goes to a Verizon website!!! THIS IS STUPID and I did not give my phone or VERIZON permission to launch my web browser.
I'm going to call and give them shit. I plug my phone into my computer often.
I need to find out what app is causing this or program.

Upvote 0
HOWEVER TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
When I now plug in my phone to my computer, it launches the web browser and goes to a Verizon website!!! THIS IS STUPID and I did not give my phone or VERIZON permission to launch my web browser.

This is not new at all...has always done that on my Windows PC...not so on my Mac though...

Upvote 0
Installed the update today. Seems to be running smoother than before, but of course, it's a fresh reboot, so I'll see what happens a few days from now. But now when I open the camera, it is on 8mp still and DVD video, and stays like that when I close it! I am happy with this update, and now the desire to upgrade before my contract expires in August is even smaller!

Upvote 0

Solve this by...

right-click on the moto icon in lower right system tray on desktop. (with new drivers icon might look like a tiny DroidX)

there will be an option like "when I connect" >> then choose "do nothing"

Upvote 0
Solve this by...

right-click on the moto icon in lower right system tray on desktop. (with new drivers icon might look like a tiny DroidX)

there will be an option like "when I connect" >> then choose "do nothing"

Got it thanks! Forgot about that. New computer since last time I had the moto software installed. I haven't had that installed since last time I had to root. It's never opened the webpage in the past since for the past 2 years, I've had that option disabled from day one.
Silly me, thanks.

Upvote 0
Use "root keeper" from the market before installing the update it worked like a charm for me!

Rootkeeper also work fine for me. The update went very smoothly. I unfroze all the bloatware apps first, that was the only hard part (but typical).

The two outstanding issues I had seemed fixed:

1. No calendar reminders when the phone was locked (I get notified of meetings when I unlocked - often too late). Serious problem for me as I use this phone for work as well as my personal phone. I was very happy this morning when my phone vibrated as I walked into the office telling me I had to be in a meeting in 15 mins (well, not happy I had a meeting 1st thing, happy I was reminded). :)

2. The phone restarts automatically after being shut off. Didn't happen last night when I turned it off. This was intermittent, so I'm not sure if this was fixed or it just didn't happen this time. :)

Upvote 0
FYI Here's what worked for me. It was flawless. I'm able to install new root required apps.

1) Install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper
2) Run VOR, create root backup
2) unfreeze frozen apps in Titanium Backup
3) rename .bak's back to .apk's using Root Explorer
4) temporarily remove root with VOR
5) DL/install update
6) Run VOR restore root
7) freeze apps
8) swap out my friggin' battery if I need to.
9) enjoy my updated DX

Upvote 0
Before the update I had no issues. Now I have a problem where I cannot make calls. Doesn't happen right away, the phone will be fine then it will just not answer calls coming in or make them going out until I reboot. After rebooting it works fine again for a day or so and then rinse and repeat. Just me? Anyone else seen this? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Before the update I had no issues. Now I have a problem where I cannot make calls. Doesn't happen right away, the phone will be fine then it will just not answer calls coming in or make them going out until I reboot. After rebooting it works fine again for a day or so and then rinse and repeat. Just me? Anyone else seen this? Thanks.

Try a factory reset. Something f'd up in there

Upvote 0
Not the answer I wanted. I have the phone just the way I want it right now too. I was hoping someone would point me to a magic answer so I wouldn't have put the work in. Such is life. Thanks for the input.

I have my X set up to remember most of my settings and apps. It gets pretty close to what I want it at when I need to reset it. In the 2 years with my X I have only had to reset it 2 times for some weird issue.

Upvote 0
Picked mine up used not long ago after my 2 year old deep-sixed my D2G. Love the phone actually. Thought I wouldn't like the bigger screen and no keyboard but loved it until this little issue. So a reboot is not a life changing event compared to the death of my D2G, but not a big deal.

What home launcher do you use? I tried Launcher pro for the longest time, then tried Go Launcher and decided that it was the best.

Upvote 0
It has everything launcher pro has and more. You will like it more, I'm sure. Give it a try. With these launchers, you can save your settings and put them back in after a factory reset.

While your launcher settings are back, widgets aren't. I just restored my backup from GoLauncher and all my widgets were white boxes. Grrr!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones