• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A2SD confusion....

RCope48

Hey all, I have my card partitioned, running MikG 2.61, and I guess I have a2sd because in TB it shows it there, but I haven't fiddled with anything, and frankly just a little confused. my overview show this:

System ROM: 367 MB (30 MB free)
Internal:448MB (350 MB free)
SD Card: 14.6 GB (10 GB free)
SD Card(a2sd):: 959 MB (774 free)

System ROM is located where? internally on a seperate partition from internal memory, I think? So what can be written to it? or can you? or do you want to? why does it even show up in the overview,other than showing you the size of the ROM? and how do I tell what is on a2sd? I saw something that says when a2sd is installed, it moves everything to SD? maybe I'm reading too much here, I haven't done anything yet, cause I don't know what I'm doing! I need some expert explanation here! Thanks:confused:

A2sd has moved what it can, automatically, to your 1 gig part. It can't move everything. If you look under settings/ apps, it won't look like it moved anything.
Try installing something like angry birds, or another large app, and see that last category you were talking about change!

A2sd is built in to some Roms and if your card is partitioned, you do not have to flash dark tremors or use any terminal emulator commands.

Hey all, I have my card partitioned, running MikG 2.61, and I guess I have a2sd because in TB it shows it there, but I haven't fiddled with anything, and frankly just a little confused. my overview show this:

System ROM: 367 MB (30 MB free)
Internal:448MB (350 MB free)
SD Card: 14.6 GB (10 GB free)
SD Card(a2sd):: 959 MB (774 free)

System ROM is located where? internally on a seperate partition from internal memory, I think? So what can be written to it? or can you? or do you want to? why does it even show up in the overview,other than showing you the size of the ROM? and how do I tell what is on a2sd? I saw something that says when a2sd is installed, it moves everything to SD? maybe I'm reading too much here, I haven't done anything yet, cause I don't know what I'm doing! I need some expert explanation here! Thanks:confused:
did you partition your card?

ok so first lets talk about what you are seeing in tb. yes your rom has a separate partition on your phone. and yes you can write stuff on to the system partition but you will need a file manager like root explorer to do it. and you really want to do that if you want to add a mod or stuff like boot animation or splashscreens. so the system rom is mikg.

so internal is for your phones memory that is where most of your data like contacts and sms or mms are stored as well as your apps and its data.

the sd card is just that. it is showing you hpw much room you have on your card.

the a2sd part means that you have your card partitioned and that is how much room you have in that partition. this is where your apps are being stored on. so instead of being on your phone, it is on the card instead.

if you really want to know what is going on you can download terminal emulator and type su (enter) then a2sd check(enter). this will give you a report on how a2sd is working and what is on your card.

did you partition your card?

ok so first lets talk about what you are seeing in tb. yes your rom has a separate partition on your phone. and yes you can write stuff on to the system partition but you will need a file manager like root explorer to do it. and you really want to do that if you want to add a mod or stuff like boot animation or splashscreens. so the system rom is mikg.

so internal is for your phones memory that is where most of your data like contacts and sms or mms are stored as well as your apps and its data.

the sd card is just that. it is showing you hpw much room you have on your card.

the a2sd part means that you have your card partitioned and that is how much room you have in that partition. this is where your apps are being stored on. so instead of being on your phone, it is on the card instead.

if you really want to know what is going on you can download terminal emulator and type su (enter) then a2sd check(enter). this will give you a report on how a2sd is working and what is on your card.

I have the emulator...when I type SU its says not found, and doesn't give me the permission box?

I have the emulator...when I type SU its says not found, and doesn't give me the permission box?

go into settings/app/manage app/terminal emulator and wipe chache and data. and then run te again. also make sure that you are not typing su with capitols. it needs to be lower case.

I just had to bring this thread back from the dead. It's by Akazabam, and it explains the partitions and such on your phone. Good read. This guy knew more than all of us, even Ocn! He sorta "learned" all of the old heads that are left. Really miss this guy.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-partitions.html?highlight=android+partitions

yeah i agree. aka was the bomb. i learned a lot from that guy. i also do miss him as well. that guy was a walking android bible.

thanx granite for pointing out that thread.

What happened to him? Agreed that he was a great android mind to have around.

He moved (still in CA) and got super bz at work. He shoots me a message every so often. Haven't heard from him in a little while though. He was definitely an asset to AF.

go into settings/app/manage app/terminal emulator and wipe chache and data. and then run te again. also make sure that you are not typing su with capitols. it needs to be lower case.

that did the trick....now if I knew what I was looking at!:) I need to read that link! Thanks

that did the trick....now if I knew what I was looking at!:) I need to read that link! Thanks

well if you could type out what te says about a2sd when you run the check and add it here, we could take a look at it and see if there is anything of issue.

also do you have your card partitioned?

well if you could type out what te says about a2sd when you run the check and add it here, we could take a look at it and see if there is anything of issue.

also do you have your card partitioned?

Card is partitioned...there is a lot of info when I check a2sd...what exactly am I looking for?is there a way to post a screenshot from TE? :confused:

Card is partitioned...there is a lot of info when I check a2sd...what exactly am I looking for?is there a way to post a screenshot from TE? :confused:

Never mind....my bad

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 64
After you type a2sd reinstall, it is supposed to reboot. So maybe it worked after you did that? Since you can see that script, it's installed properly so a simple "a2sd reinstall" command will put everything on your partition.

i agree with mizzou, go into te and type su then type a2sd reinstall. it should then assign a sym link to each app on your phone then move the apps to your card. after it is done it will reboot your phone.

i agree with mizzou, go into te and type su then type a2sd reinstall. it should then assign a sym link to each app on your phone then move the apps to your card. after it is done it will reboot your phone.

So after all your apps are on your card,are widgets no longer functional? And what if you have less than a class six card? Will everything bog down?

So after all your apps are on your card,are widgets no longer functional? And what if you have less than a class six card? Will everything bog down?

yes your widgets will be fully functional as your phone will be fooled by the sym link that is on your phone. and it is a possibility that your apps may suffer with a slower card. it will depend on the app and how much resources it needs to run.

After you type a2sd reinstall, it is supposed to reboot. So maybe it worked after you did that? Since you can see that script, it's installed properly so a simple "a2sd reinstall" command will put everything on your partition.

I don't understand what you guys are doing or telling him to do.

When I use TB to restore apps to a rom that has a2sd support built in, I see the a2sd partition being used without having to fire up TE or run any commands.

I did some of the commands above, a2sd check, I think, it says that private apps are linked to the sd card, or something like that.

I used the command to move the cache to sd, and to zipalign, since it mentioned them in the text, though I am not sure what exactly the ramifications of doing so are, just experimenting.

I think people get confused and think that nothing is moved because under Settings/Apps, it seems to indicate that nothing has moved. Well, Obviously they HAVE moved, as you can see activity in the partition when you look at the TB screen also mentioned above. Something is there. I don't think they are all of the apps though.

i originally used a class 4 card and a 2 gig partition and I did not notice any lag. I was not playing any games or running any intense apps. I did watch netflix though, with that setup, and had no problem.

I have since gotten the class 10 card and reduced my part. to 1 gig, and still only use a quarter of that. :p

I don't understand what you guys are doing or telling him to do.

When I use TB to restore apps to a rom that has a2sd support built in, I see the a2sd partition being used without having to fire up TE or run any commands.

I did some of the commands above, a2sd check, I think, it says that private apps are linked to the sd card, or something like that.

I used the command to move the cache to sd, and to zipalign, since it mentioned them in the text, though I am not sure what exactly the ramifications of doing so are, just experimenting.

I think people get confused and think that nothing is moved because under Settings/Apps, it seems to indicate that nothing has moved. Well, Obviously they HAVE moved, as you can see activity in the partition when you look at the TB screen also mentioned above. Something is there. I don't think they are all of the apps though.

i originally used a class 4 card and a 2 gig partition and I did not notice any lag. I was not playing any games or running any intense apps. I did watch netflix though, with that setup, and had no problem.

I have since gotten the class 10 card and reduced my part. to 1 gig, and still only use a quarter of that. :p

right if it's built in then you shouldn't have to mess with any terminal commands but I thought it hadn't installed correctly or something so that's why I gave him the command. And it's useful to know those commands anyway.

I think I used some of them before when I used a rom that I had to flash DT with.

Other than that, i have seen it suggested to use the command to move the cache. I tried that zip align one today too. not sure what it did though. :)

It looked to me like that original thing he posted showed that it did work.

It gets confusing cause looking in Settings/Apps, it looks like nothing has moved.

Back
Top Bottom