• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things GPS

How are you toggling A-GPS without the dialer code to invoke the GPSSetup utility? I thought that dialer code was changed or disabled in 2.2.1. The way to change that setting would be to change MS Based mode (the default) to Standalone within that hidden utility. MS-Based should fall back to standalone satellite download of the almanac and ephemeris data.

If you mean you are changing the Settings -> Use wireless networks value, that is not A-GPS. It has nothing to do with GPS, but with cell tower triangulation. (There has been a lot iof misinformed commentary on various forums calling this wireless setting A-GPS.)

Did you leave the Cold Start setting in place before the firmware update? If that setting persists, it forces a download of the almanac and ephemeris data when the GPS starts.

It may be that the Epic's GPS receiver is just not sensitive enough to work inside an aricraft. It does't work well inside many buildings, either.

1. Yes, I used the Setting -> Use wireless networks value.

2. And yes, I did leave the Cold Start setting in place.

3. You may be right on the sensitivity, and it may be on a phone by phone basis. Someone earlier in one of these threads said he was able to keep a lock throughout his flight by using the method I described in my last post.

I'm shopping for a new phone and was wondering if this means the GPS problems are no longer a issue with this phone.

Thanks!

Now that is seems Froyo is coming this weekend, if we're still running Eclair but have changed our GPS settings to "cold start", does anyone know if we have to change it back before getting the OTA Froyo update via Sprint?

Forgive me, but was it hot or warm by default? Would be a moot point if we don't need to change it back anyway...

Is it better for the phone to have a cold warm or hot start for the best working gps??? Is there any fix to make it locate you within 10 feet? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom