• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Alternative way to root?

I'm extremely new to the whole rooting concept, and I seem to be having some trouble.

I've read a multitude of guides and just general posts on how to root at this point, but my problem lies in that I can't seem to get Gingerbreak to work, but I also can't use the ADB method because I do not have a cable to be able to connect my phone to my computer. The only thing I have to work with is a SD card.

The problem I'm having with Gingerbreak is a "Problem Parsing the package" (Which I have no idea what this could mean). Is it because the latest version of gingerbreak isn't compatible with something on my phone that I'm overlooking?

Could someone push me in the right direction here?

>LG VM670, with the ZV9 update

Edit: I figured I could do the ADB method by connecting to my computer via wifi, but all of the methods I'm finding to do this require my phone to be rooted already.. now I figured I could do a temp root, but again all of the methods that I've read require a cable to connect to my computer beforehand.

[Edit] A micro USB cable can be readily found at most local retailers for under $20, or borrow a cable from a neighbor as it's so commonly used nowadays. [/Edit]
Thanks for the response. that is certainly one of the soundest looking guides I've come across, so I'll probably end up using it if nothing else works out!

However, rooting was just a spur of the moment thing for me as I've been using my phone a lot more recently, but it's not something that I can just throw money in to on a whim. So I'm still interested in the wifi-ADB method I was thinking of.

Go to the All Things Root sub-forum. All Things Root Guide sticky.
Go to Tools and Utilities.
ADB Wireless.

Go to the All Things Root sub-forum. All Things Root Guide sticky.
Go to Tools and Utilities.
ADB Wireless.

Thanks Andy but that link seems dead... the Guide needs updating. Anyway, I don't know if it's the ADB Wireless (no-root) found on Play Store but this app states that it's for 4.0.4 or higher though.

[Edit] That referenced link to the MrSiir's adbWireless app is dead via any browser on the OV and PC. The project is inaccessible nor listed on GitHub anymore. This app is also for rooted phone only. [/Edit]

Thanks for the heads up, will delete from guide if dead..
EDIT: Link is fine on my phone. Takes me right to the apps page in the PlayStore.
I found nothing to Indicate It was only for rooted phones.

Link is accessible only if opened via the Play Store app--probably archived or cached listing that hasn't been removed yet, just a matter of time. Search for this app on Play Store will not find it. It's clearly stated in its Description that "Rooted Phone Only!"

The WLanAdb app provided earlier is the only non-rooted WiFi ADB app I could find. I don't have a non-rooted phone to test it on though. That's the reason I'm not sure if it'll work with shell commands that are needed to root the OV--basic ADB commands work. The app seems still relatively new and under development so it may not be fully functional yet. If you could test and let us know, that would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom