• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root An outbreak of sense from HTC?

Regarding internal memory, are there any inherent restrictions that for example Sammy partitions the 16 gb into 2gb internal? Why not designate 14gb and leave 2 for system? It does seem a annoying that three years into the Android experience people still have to hope for an a2sd version of large apps.

Regarding internal memory, are there any inherent restrictions that for example Sammy partitions the 16 gb into 2gb internal? Why not designate 14gb and leave 2 for system? It does seem a annoying that three years into the Android experience people still have to hope for an a2sd version of large apps.

It's different though. 1GB is really more than enough for apps. Take the gameloft games for example which are probably the biggest in terms of size - and take the samsung galaxy s 2, with partitioned 1gb/15gb as you say.

The game app itself, may take up 40mb of that 1gb internal mb.
The game files, may take up 500mb but they go onto the 15gb other internal memory.

1GB is plenty. Most android apps are like 5mb anyway. Its only really on the likes of the Desire and nexus one etc that its a problem, as you only have about 130mb to begin with. As I said above, on a Desire, that game would take up almost 1/3 of my internal memory. On a SGS2, it would take up less than 4%.

It might be a problem for a very small number of people. But I really doubt it. Even on the iPhone, where both app files and the app itself go onto the internal memory, I never used over 1gb. So this is really not an issue.

And if it is, as for partitioning that memory of the SGS2 from 1/15 to 2/14, it hasn't been done. But I see no reason why it couldn't?

Problem is though apps and games are getting bigger by the day. Few months back the average was a few hundred k but they looked crappy. Nicer looking, more professional apps and games are more the norm now but that costs in memory.

With the internal memory in my Desire plus my ext partition I have 1 gig but it won't be enough if the apps keep piling in the pounds.

Officially confirmed by HTC today, although not clear if they mean on future devices or including existing 'locked' models.

From HTC CEO ""There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC"

Back
Top Bottom