• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help An unofficial evdo area count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manually updated to prl 3020 a few days ago.Used Lte OnOff to switch manually to evdo,Came up for about a minute.wasnt really working.Switched itself back to 1x.Kept manually turning on Evdo on it and it would repeat.Im assuming the antennaes are up but not fully functional.

I live in Riverside,California

Upvote 0
i dont understand why orlando has only 200 and jackvillie has 900!

The first reports from orlando had speeds of over 1200kb/s, I have no idea why they capped it.

because this temporary EVDO is not to increase speeds too much. It's to relieve network congestion problems. In the markets where Metro is implementing this, they WILL cap it. Looks like 200kbps.

This is only for a few markets, temporary and CAPPED.

They get it up and running, make sure it's stable, then CAP!

Their goal is to move everyone to LTE, so can't make the 3G too good. Metro's LTE is only 2k - 5k.

Eventually Metro wants to turn off the CDMA transmitters.

Upvote 0

because this temporary EVDO is not to increase speeds too much. It's to relieve network congestion problems. In the markets where Metro is implementing this, they WILL cap it. Looks like 200kbps.

This is only for a few markets, temporary and CAPPED.

They get it up and running, make sure it's stable, then CAP!

Their goal is to move everyone to LTE, so can't make the 3G too good. Metro's LTE is only 2k - 5k.

Eventually Metro wants to turn off the CDMA transmitters.

SOURCE? Link where Metro states this?

Upvote 0
SOURCE? Link where Metro states this?

states what? that they are going to turn off their CDMA transmitters for LTE? They've announced it plenty of times. They are moving to LTE, getting rid of CDMA (when everything is in place)

here:

Metro just recently announced they are moving to VoLTE in 2012. And what does that let them do?

dailywireless.org MetroPCS Moves to Voice over LTE
VoLTE lets MetroPCS move its voice traffic gradually to LTE, allowing it to shut down CDMA carriers, shifting them to accomodate more LTE capacity.
Oh and here's another article, easily found. LOOK AT THE TITLE. :p

MetroPCS in aggressive LTE voice plan - Has migrated SMS to its all-IP system, and will start to move voice in Q112, accelerating CDMA switch-off

MetroPCS in aggressive LTE voice plan

Has migrated SMS to its all-IP system, and will start to move voice in Q112, accelerating CDMA switch-off

"We are planning to begin introducing VoLTE-capable handsets early next year to move voice as well as data traffic to our LTE network," said MetroPCS CEO Roger Linquist. That will help MetroPCS to use its limited spectrum capacity more efficiently by turning off CDMA.
That's just a couple of places, I can show you a hundred.
=======

or links that they are capping their EVDO?
that it's temporary and only for a few markets?

In this case, it's what Metro is saying to employees, not to the public. INTERNAL documents are saying this. So go link yourself. :p Employees for Metro are saying it, and not just one -- several. Over on another forum.

Metro is not even admitting publicly they are upgrading to EVDO in a few markets, because all will want it. And they are capping it because it's not to increase data speed for customers, it's to decrease stress on the network. It's for Metro's benefit not for customer's benefit. Markets that don't have a lot of strain will NOT be upgraded.

And it's temporary because of the LTE transition. They will still have CDMA roaming agreements for outside their markets, but they plan to turn off their own CDMA at some point in time.

Upvote 0
All I did was ask too see a source about what you were stating about the EVDO being capped. Would help alot of people here from getting their hopes up. I can tell you all day long that I work at metro and tell you anything I want, lets see we are merging with verizon. But you know what that doesn't necessarily make it true. You would want to see some proof of fact to back up my claim. Belief without the basis of fact is ignorance. Be careful before you toss that term around next time. Pot meett kettle. As far as the "other forum" I have been reading that "other forum" for a couple years.

Upvote 0
I've edited the rude, childish bickering from several posts and deleted three entire posts.

Just a reminder, the user guidelines for Android Forums are stickied at the top of the Introductions forum:

http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html

..where many of you went to and introduced yourself just after joining up. :D

It appears this thread has run its course. ;)

276415832.png

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones