• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android Kitkat 4.4.2 Release

Which operating system is better?

• Android 4.3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thanks SuperR hope I haven't bothered you to much. If I already have a backup from before the first attempt do I need to make another one or can I just flash? And the kitkat override external sd zip you posted earlier is that before supersu flash or does it matter

Thanks SuperR hope I haven't bothered you to much. If I already have a backup from before the first attempt do I need to make another one or can I just flash? And the kitkat override external sd zip you posted earlier is that before supersu flash or does it matter
As long as you flash the rom first, it does not matter what order you flash the root zip or the sdcard fix.

The backup is for your benefit only. If you are sure you will not lose anything you want, there is no need to backup.

Is everyone running the deodexed rom having issues with the settings force closing? Please try to clear app data from at least one app in the app settings menu before responding.

It is possible that I removed something required for the settings app to function properly or the deodexing caused a problem. I am uploading a completely unmodified stock B06 4.4.2 rom. It would be helpful if someone would test it to see if the problem clears up. I will post a link when it is finished.
I flashed the unmodified but the problems I had before still exist, Settings>Security crashes, clearing data reboots phone, clearing cache unusable, SD card problem.
UPDATE: after rebooting it seems that the phone is now correctly displaying Gallery pictures but still won't show any music on the Google Play Music app

Last edited:
Also after flashing I can't seem to be able to get into PhilZ recovery anymore, I get the "error: device offline", anyway to fix it?

Has the security in settings and other issues been fixed? Just curious to know. Thinking of updating mines but if the modified version are good to go then id rather flash those.

I've found a way to enable 3rd party apps without going into security settings (like if most of could anyways:rolleyes:). I've tried it on a a few apps and Aptoide is the only one that failed for me, hopefully it was just the apk.
I was rooted using SuperR's 4.1.2 rom (based off of KK), flashed the partition fix, then the deodexed rom, then the sd card fix. Just thought i'd throw that out there. You WILL need to be rooted!

Go into the Play Store and search for "Secure Settings" should be a gear icon, install and click the "SYSTEM+" tab and enable it, after that go into the options tab and then click "System+ Actions" and make sure "unknown sources" has a green check. Once completed head to the widget section in the app drawer and look for "Secure Settings" once more, select the "System+" drop down and click on "Unknown Sources" it will then ask if you want the widget to be a 'on', 'off', or 'toggle'. Click toggle then the click the save icon above twice (there will be two pages, second will be to customize appearance and name). After the widget has been made click it and test it out on a couple apks you trust, if it doesn't work reboot and click again.

I am not 100% sure if this will work on your device since I own only one and things may differ from yours, if this does work for you please say so. Now if only I could uninstall all of these other apps I downloaded while I was searching :mad:

I've found a way to enable 3rd party apps without going into security settings (like if most of could anyways:rolleyes:). I've tried it on a a few apps and Aptoide is the only one that failed for me, hopefully it was just the apk.
I was rooted using SuperR's 4.1.2 rom (based off of KK), flashed the partition fix, then the deodexed rom, then the sd card fix. Just thought i'd throw that out there. You WILL need to be rooted!

Go into the Play Store and search for "Secure Settings" should be a gear icon, install and click the "SYSTEM+" tab and enable it, after that go into the options tab and then click "System+ Actions" and make sure "unknown sources" has a green check. Once completed head to the widget section in the app drawer and look for "Secure Settings" once more, select the "System+" drop down and click on "Unknown Sources" it will then ask if you want the widget to be a 'on', 'off', or 'toggle'. Click toggle then the click the save icon above twice (there will be two pages, second will be to customize appearance and name). After the widget has been made click it and test it out on a couple apks you trust, if it doesn't work reboot and click again.

I am not 100% sure if this will work on your device since I own only one and things may differ from yours, if this does work for you please say so. Now if only I could uninstall all of these other apps I downloaded while I was searching :mad:

So you have tested it on a few sideloaded apps downloaded from routes other than the play store?

So you have tested it on a few sideloaded apps downloaded from routes other than the play store?
Yes, I've got gravitybox, xposed installer, xblast tools, showbox and a couple others. Didn't want to download just a bunch of random apps because I can't delete them from the app manager.

Feel free to test it out and report back your results.

Last edited:
Explain what you mean by you cant delete apps? I use link2sd to do everything basically. That and greenify are my two fav root apps

Explain what you mean by you cant delete apps? I use link2sd to do everything basically. That and greenify are my two fav root apps
I can't delete them because anytime you try to on the deodexed version, it just restarts your phone. But I've found a way to work around that, just go into a file explorer then System(root)/Data/App and find the app you want gone, go back to Data and search for "com.****" the stars represent the name of the app that's listed in Data/App.

Once they are listed just delete the files and reboot. I haven't tried Link2SD but I do have Greenify and it works flawlessly. Are you on 4.4.2? Or are you still on the fence about if it will be good for you?

I can't delete them because anytime you try to on the deodexed version, it just restarts your phone. But I've found a way to work around that, just go into a file explorer then System(root)/Data/App and find the app you want gone, go back to Data and search for "com.****" the stars represent the name of the app that's listed in Data/App.

Once they are listed just delete the files and reboot. I haven't tried Link2SD but I do have Greenify and it works flawlessly. Are you on 4.4.2? Or are you still on the fence about if it will be good for you?

No I flashed back to my backup on 4.1.2 which i put alot of work into and than flashed SuperRom 2.7 which kept all my regular 4.1.2 stuff and just added features and a few things for me. Not really sure what all is in SuperRom. But I hate how everytime is reboot it says android is upgrading.

No I flashed back to my backup on 4.1.2 which i put alot of work into and than flashed SuperRom 2.7 which kept all my regular 4.1.2 stuff and just added features and a few things for me. Not really sure what all is in SuperRom. But I hate how everytime is reboot it says android is upgrading.
Yea SuperRom 2.7 is pretty good after he smoothened out some of the issues, that's what I was using. When I flashed the deodexed KK version it did that a few times, did you install any apps or delete any?

For me KK is definitely worth it with these minor flaws that will hopefully be fixed, but my needs may be different from yours. Especially with the work you have done, I read about what you did to it yesterday.

Since you are back on 4.1.2, you may need to flash 4.1.2 partitions. It might help with your problem. Here is the link
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95897840722644884

Thanks super r. Since I restored from my backup I can't activate any alternate keyboard. That and the longer reboot time. Touchpal was already installed but would always revert back to also keyboard.I tried go keyboard and google keyboard. They both show up after install but when choosing the method also is the only thing popping up as a keyboard. Prior to back up swype and touchpal were installed but somehow I lost swype but I never used it cause touchpal is amazing. I deleted touchpal and all remaining files and reins talked and the same thing.

EDIT - This is no longer relevant as I am now on 4.4.2 modified rom

Last edited:
SuperR I am still getting the android is updating apps everytime I reboot on 4.4.2, same screen as my restore on 4.1.2. I flashed the newest partition for the security settings fix. And facebook keeps getting a forced closed when I havent even opened facebook yet

SuperR I am still getting the android is updating apps everytime I reboot on 4.4.2, same screen as my restore on 4.1.2. I flashed the newest partition for the security settings fix. And facebook keeps getting a forced closed when I havent even opened facebook yet
No clue why you are getting android is updating. You could try clearing /cache and dalvik cache from recovery and see if that helps.

I don't use facebook and won't support it. Force closing without opening it means it runs in the background without your interaction (and not very well I might add lol). Sounds like it is watching your every move. Your only salvation is that it FC's so you might get away with a few things without it noticing ;)

Lol, I haven't yet activated Greenify. So that might help the problem/solution anyway. Messenger and facebook have always ran in the background until greenify was made. I love that app. Doesn't the xposed module AppOPS change the permissions to each app you would like for it too? Seems thats what I read but I haven't tried it. I started from scratch on this new install. So I've been working for like 7 hours on my phone. Its starting to run hot at 120 degrees with a performance gov and noop i/o both cores 1180

Back
Top Bottom