• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Antenna (includes GPS), reception discussion

Just spoke to my carrier Netcom in Norway. He said the reason for this "problem with 0 lines" is because of LTE. When you have set up the phone for 4G or as i wrote earlier GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto in the network modus you will get this issue he said. The reason is conversations cant go over 4G, only 2-3G. So therefore it shows that low in the bars/lines. And with the auto setting with the LTE it always prefer 4G. But as he said, as soon as the call is set up it goes over to 2-3G and therefore get the full bars/lines. So there is nothing wrong other then it looks wierd with 0-1 bar/line. He also said it needs a software upgrade on that issue. He also feelt sorry for me so he gave me 1 year of free Spotify Premium. :)) He also told me to call HTC Norway and ask them what to do or not. Hope you guys could read this and understand, last time i had english in school is over 30 years ago. :)

I also called HTC support. He told me that they have gotten other reports on the subject, and confirmed that its LTE issue. And that the phone works just fine and its just showing wrong value in top right corner. He pretty much confirmed what the other guy at Netcom said. He also registered all the info on my phone so they could contact me again for more info and that they are allready looking in to it. So i guess everything is working "fine". :)

I sent in my HTC One black after 3 days because of this problem [see this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-one/735047-sprint-anyone-death-grip-reception-problem.html]] with very bad reception. After a week i got a brand new one. Same problem. Now i will call them again. This is just sad. :mad:
Another wierd thing is when ever i make a call and from the time i press the call button, the signal goes up to full. And as soon as the call is over the signal drops down to 1 or no lines. There it stays. During the call the signal is just fine and there is no problems with the quality and sound of the call. Is it a software issue or some kind of power saving?

I missed this post. I think it is just an issue with how it displays the bars. I see the same kind of behavior, although not so much with phone calls. When I am at home, I am in a dead spot, so I generally only get a couple of bars reception, and no 4G. I can tell when I am about to get a Text message if I am looking at my phone, because suddenly my signal will jump up to full. Same thing for when my email syncs.

This isn't restricted to my One. I see the same behavior on my Evo3D and on my son's Samsung E4GT. Just one of those odd things I guess.

My HW version is 0004 and SW version is 1.29.651.10. Can you tell me the versions on your phone?

Thanks.

I got my One at Best Buy in Wichita, KS. As far as the wi-fi, I haven't really done any troubleshooting yet. I did switch over to the 5g band on my router which seems to working well, so it could have been channel interference. I am within range of 4 other wi-fi signals, so that makes sense.

My old Linksys router used to get killed everytime I turned on the microwave. Actually disconnected everyone from the wi-fi no matter what channel I set the router to use.

That's not cool.
You might want to get that checked or replace it... BUT...
It's either leaking really badly or it's throwing a lot of noise into the power lines.

My wife's treadmill throws a lot of noise into the powerline because like most modern treadmills it has a PWM controller to vary the speed of the motor.
This causes some things to reset, such as my U-Verse NID, and one of my switches.
The simple fix was a power line filter out of an old plasma set.
I replaced the standard unfiltered IEC connector on the treadmill with that filtered one.. no more problem and no more noise in the power.

Just spoke to my carrier Netcom in Norway. He said the reason for this "problem with 0 lines" is because of LTE. When you have set up the phone for 4G or as i wrote earlier GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto in the network modus you will get this issue he said. The reason is conversations cant go over 4G, only 2-3G. So therefore it shows that low in the bars/lines. And with the auto setting with the LTE it always prefer 4G. But as he said, as soon as the call is set up it goes over to 2-3G and therefore get the full bars/lines. So there is nothing wrong other then it looks wierd with 0-1 bar/line. He also said it needs a software upgrade on that issue. He also feelt sorry for me so he gave me 1 year of free Spotify Premium. :)) He also told me to call HTC Norway and ask them what to do or not. Hope you guys could read this and understand, last time i had english in school is over 30 years ago. :)

I also called HTC support. He told me that they have gotten other reports on the subject, and confirmed that its LTE issue. And that the phone works just fine and its just showing wrong value in top right corner. He pretty much confirmed what the other guy at Netcom said. He also registered all the info on my phone so they could contact me again for more info and that they are allready looking in to it. So i guess everything is working "fine". :)

I have seen something like this once or twice.. if it's the same thing.
I am running a rom that is based on the international version.
When on LTE it does drop to HSPA for calls and I have seen the signal meter go a little wonky once or twice.
I typically get 3 bars of LTE and 4-5 of HSPA in the house and when it does the call setup I have seen it go to nothing for the duration of the call but I never had an issue.

Not sure if this is a bug only present in the WWE based firmwares.. my wife has never seen that happen on hers and she is full AT&T stock.

The rom I am running is Android Revolution 10.1
(yes I know there are newer versions but this has been ROCK SOLID... no need to change.)
It's based on an Android 4.2.2 leak... build 2.17.401.1

Hi

Recently purchased an HTC One off ebay and been using on the T-Mobile network under the remainder of the contract. Signal is not great where I live so tried a couple of free signal booster apps yesterday and have since been unable to send or receive calls or texts. Internet works fine on wifi and mobile network. Phoned T-Mobile tech support today and tried a couple of things and also went to one of their stores who tried the sim in another phone and sim worked fine. Did a reset but problem still exists. Have tried a couple of scans with free anti-virus apps but nothing picked up. Can I try anything else or will I need to take to a mobile repairer?

Regards
Westender

Hi
Recently purchased an HTC One off ebay and been using on the T-Mobile network under the remainder of the contract. Signal is not great where I live so tried a couple of free signal booster apps yesterday and have since been unable to send or receive calls or texts. Internet works fine on wifi and mobile network. Phoned T-Mobile tech support today and tried a couple of things and also went to one of their stores who tried the sim in another phone and sim worked fine. Did a reset but problem still exists. Have tried a couple of scans with free anti-virus apps but nothing picked up. Can I try anything else or will I need to take to a mobile repairer?

Regards
Westender

Hello,

some questions to ask:

is it rooted?

doubt any virii are on the phone, so no worry there.

you say the problem still exists after a factory reset but in the store with a new sim it was working as it should?

so seems you are only having issues at home? when you are out and about the phone works normally? am I correct here? :confused:

Hello,

some questions to ask:

is it rooted?

doubt any virii are on the phone, so no worry there.

you say the problem still exists after a factory reset but in the store with a new sim it was working as it should?

so seems you are only having issues at home? when you are out and about the phone works normally? am I correct here? :confused:

Hi

Phone is not rooted as far as I know (I'm not a techie) - was purchased used and unlocked from eBay. The sim from my HTC was put in a spare phone in the store (wasn't a new sim) and that phone was able to send/receive calls and texts. I've tried using the phone at home and work without success. The signal at work is good. I'm on android 4.2.2. As mentioned earlier internet works fine using wifi or mobile network.

ok i see you are in the UK, so you bought a usa brand t mobile to work on your UK carrier?

what model is your phone? there are different models out there for different parts of the world, and some models, even if they are unlocked, may not work on other carriers.

this may be the issue here since you purchased off the internet.

was this phone new or used?

or are you not in the UK anymore?

still could be you may have a phone that is not catered to work on the carrier you are currently using?

ok i see you are in the UK, so you bought a usa brand t mobile to work on your UK carrier?

what model is your phone? there are different models out there for different parts of the world, and some models, even if they are unlocked, may not work on other carriers.

this may be the issue here since you purchased off the internet.

was this phone new or used?

or are you not in the UK anymore?

still could be you may have a phone that is not catered to work on the carrier you are currently using?

Phone is a UK model and has been working fine for a couple of months - apart from signal problems at home - until yesterday after trying the signal booster apps. I'm still in UK.

these signal booster apps are probably placebo and not worth your time using them.

these are things you can do right now (and I am aware you have done some of these just making sure we are on the same page)

factory reset

verify your sim card is properly setup and account is in good standing

take the phone to a couple of areas of known good signal coverage

if you suddenly lost coverage a day or so ago, it could be an issue with the carrier, and a call into them with your location may yield some data.

or the phone has a physical issue to which you need to take it to a service shop or id you have a grace period/insurance with the seller, return it.

its difficult to diagnose properly over the internet...

Finally got my Verizon HTC One.

It's set to "Global Mode", but "LTE / CDMA" is an option.

Shouldn't it be set to LTE/CMDA? What's "Global" ??

That's what I always keep my Verizon phones set to. Thunderbolt, Charge, Razr Maxx, Nexus, GS3. Wow I might have a problem.

I've recently started having an issue with the Gps on my One. Three times now, my gps will not lock on to any satellites unless I reboot. Doesn't matter what app I use. I first noticed it while using Waze. At first I just thought it was bad luck. I tried using Google Maps and still didn't work. Installed GPS toolbox, and it couldn't find any satellites. My wife has a One also. Checked hers and it immediately locked on multiple satellites. So I rebooted. It immediately locked on to multiple satellites. It happened twice more, and both times a reboot fixed it. My wife's phone has not run into the problem, but she seldom uses anything with the GPS so I don't know if she does have the problem for sure or not. Anyone else run into this?

In GPS Status & Toolbox, menu, Tools - run both calibrations, then under a-GPS, Reset and then go back and download.

The tables can get tangled and that usually fixes it.

Also, be sure you have the latest Maps.

If it still doesn't work, check for any large apps hogging memory.

In GPS Status & Toolbox, menu, Tools - run both calibrations, then under a-GPS, Reset and then go back and download.

The tables can get tangled and that usually fixes it.

Also, be sure you have the latest Maps.

If it still doesn't work, check for any large apps hogging memory.

I had tried that the second time it happened, although now I can't remember if I reset the data before downloading it. I may have just downloaded the assistance data. I went ahead and reset and downloaded (and did the 2 sensor calibrations). We will see if the problem happens again.

I'm noticing that my One takes a lot longer than my Rezound did to lock on to my GPS position. Sometimes takes up to a minute to lock. Is this normal? I only toggle on my GPS when I need it.

I'm noticing that my One takes a lot longer than my Rezound did to lock on to my GPS position. Sometimes takes up to a minute to lock. Is this normal? I only toggle on my GPS when I need it.
I had that last week, but I was ~5,000 miles from where I'd last used GPS and had no data connection to download GPS assistance data, which was about as cold a start as possible, so I considered it not so surprising. It usually only takes a few seconds for me - even the first time I ever used it, which was with no data connection but no misleading last location, was much faster than a minute.

Try installing GPS Status & Toolbox, make sure your data connection is enabled, then step outdoors and start the app. That will refresh your AGPS data and then you should get you a pretty quick fix (and it will let you watch what is happening ;))

Just within the last few days I've noticed that when I have my gps on, it's STAYS on. I figure it is a rogue app somewhere so I deleted all my recent downloads, at least the ones I remember adding, and it's still there. I have the battery widget app and have used it to try and figure which app it might be but nothing is standing out except maybe "Android System". I do turn the gps off to save my battery.

My question: is anyone having similar issues lately or have had in the past?? Any recommendations short of the obvious factory reset, which I'm hoping to avoid if I can. Thanks.

After updating to 4.3 on sprint weeks ago, I'm getting horrendous cellular service at work where I used to get excellent service before the update. My wife has told me she has tried calling me multiple times and it repeatedly does not even connect. And I'll receive notifications that I have voice mails when my phone never rang. I've updated my profile and prl to see if that had any effect, but nope. I'm at work for nearly 50 hours a week, and to not have service where I used to is severely frustrating. If I root my phone to a custom ROM, would this be fixed? Help, anyone....help.

Sprints network is undergoing a major overhaul.

My first suggestion would be to call them and see if there's down towers in the area, and if they report there aren't, tell them about the problems and have them send out a tech to the tower near your work.

its not only with the 4.3 update.. my brother who is still on 4.2 his service has dropped alot as well..

call them.. they will issue credits to your bill if you have a down tower.. and will give you a date on when to expect it to be back up

Received my gsm unlocked HTC one today and with my other at & t device I had full signal strength with this one I have barely a bar. It's very odd. Should I be concerned.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom