• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone have light leakage problems?

Is it really that big of a problem? Does it indicate that the screen is going to come off eventually or something?

I just checked mine and my wife's Evo. I had to take our cases off because otherwise you couldn't see it. I have it a little bit under 3 out of the 4 buttons and she has it a little under the home button. However, the room has to be darkened to notice it.

I believe I noticed this a bit even before we got the case and she did too but thought nothing about it. Also, even with the case on, I see light leakage coming through the ports at the bottom. It's extremely faint and can only be noticed in the dark but I noticed it while trying to plug in the charger in the dark before going to bed. It was very faint but actually helped me a bit in terms of finding the slot to plug in the cord.

Anyway, if it was an indication that the glass would start coming apart at some point, then I would be worried. Also, if it was spewing light profusely then I could see exchanging it for that too. Otherwise, I don't really see it as a problem for us at the moment.

Upvote 0
I have slight leakage under every button, with more under the home and search buttons. It doesn't bother me. I just worry if it's going to get worse. I have no other issues with my phone. Returning it is discouraging to me since I feel I might end up getting a phone with more issues.

I'm thinking it might be better to fix this myself by taking apart the phone and maybe applying some sort of sealer around the inside bezel of the glass. This would also prevent dust from getting in.

Upvote 0
Is it really that big of a problem? Does it indicate that the screen is going to come off eventually or something?

I just checked mine and my wife's Evo. I had to take our cases off because otherwise you couldn't see it. I have it a little bit under 3 out of the 4 buttons and she has it a little under the home button. However, the room has to be darkened to notice it.

I believe I noticed this a bit even before we got the case and she did too but thought nothing about it. Also, even with the case on, I see light leakage coming through the ports at the bottom. It's extremely faint and can only be noticed in the dark but I noticed it while trying to plug in the charger in the dark before going to bed. It was very faint but actually helped me a bit in terms of finding the slot to plug in the cord.

Anyway, if it was an indication that the glass would start coming apart at some point, then I would be worried. Also, if it was spewing light profusely then I could see exchanging it for that too. Otherwise, I don't really see it as a problem for us at the moment.

light is leaking through because the faceplate adhesive is starting to loosen and its only a matter of time before your screen falls off. so i would advise taking it back for a new one and maybe applying some sort of caulk or other glue to it

Upvote 0

If the screen is not sealed around then you will get dust under your screen. That to me is the bigger problem, not too worried about the light leakage as I am about the dust getting under my screen. Had the same problem on my hero, here are some hero shots with the dust issue.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_utvQsjuKnEA/SuqMXmrSPyI/AAAAAAAAAOw/BwtvJlxvDfw/hero_dust2.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_utvQsjuKnEA/SuqMXfvLJmI/AAAAAAAAAOs/sBtVH5YMcvA/hero_dust1.jpg
And here's a google search for Sprint Hero Dust problem
http://www.google.com/search?source...L_enUS339US339&q=Sprint+Hero+has+dust+problem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones