• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone Here Own A Kindle Fire?

Thanks for stopping by, I don't really want to bother you unnecessarily, but if there is any good reading material or downloads or tips or anything, I'd love to hear it.

Lol.....what is a cna or an aokp? :rolleyes:

Oh and for the rumor mill:

NVIDIA CEO suggests $199 Tegra 3 tablets in the summer -- Engadget

Well to get rooted and a custom recovery, this is the best place to start. I got it when it first came out, so I didn't have this benefit:
Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.4 (3/29/12) - xda-developers

Should be pretty self explanatory. Just check around those forums and find a ROM that you like the best.

CNA and AOKP are ROMs that are variants of ICS. Just more customizable. Lol

Upvote 0
As stated above I am very happy with my Kindle. The biggest piece of advice I could give with my experience is to stay away from TWRP. For the most stable experiance with what is currently available would be to,

use the Kindle Fire Utility to gain Root

Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.5 (3/30/12) - xda-developers

Use the Gskript to very easily install the FireFireFire Bootloader & Doomloards CWM Touch. Kindle Fire Utility can also be used for this but every once in a wile thier are complaints that if the recovery download has issues you may get stuck in a bootloop. Its easaly fixed with a fastboot comand but still it freaks out the average user. Not sure why the developer would not first download the recovery image before starting the installation but I am sure there is a reason. Either way the skript was the easiest recovery installation I have ever performed.

Found this to be the most stable Rom for the device, at least until the Developers have worked out HW Acceleration for the ICS Kernel. Basically just CM7. The developer also helped me learn how to build from Source and gives instructions for building the Rom along with the zip for flashing.

[ROM][RECOVERY][Source][March 30]CM7 (gingerbread recovery branch) (updated manifest) - xda-developers

Found this to be the most stable Kernel, includes Interactive Schedualer and overclockable up to 1.2g.

[KERNEL][.35.14][OC, CIFS, TUN]intersectRaven's Kernel 02/16/2012 18:00 - xda-developers

Otherwise I love my Kindle so figured I would share what I had the best experiences with.

Upvote 0
As stated above I am very happy with my Kindle. The biggest piece of advice I could give with my experience is to stay away from TWRP. For the most stable experiance with what is currently available would be to,

use the Kindle Fire Utility to gain Root

Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.5 (3/30/12) - xda-developers

Use the Gskript to very easily install the FireFireFire Bootloader & Doomloards CWM Touch. Kindle Fire Utility can also be used for this but every once in a wile thier are complaints that if the recovery download has issues you may get stuck in a bootloop. Its easaly fixed with a fastboot comand but still it freaks out the average user. Not sure why the developer would not first download the recovery image before starting the installation but I am sure there is a reason. Either way the skript was the easiest recovery installation I have ever performed.

Found this to be the most stable Rom for the device, at least until the Developers have worked out HW Acceleration for the ICS Kernel. Basically just CM7. The developer also helped me learn how to build from Source and gives instructions for building the Rom along with the zip for flashing.

[ROM][RECOVERY][Source][March 30]CM7 (gingerbread recovery branch) (updated manifest) - xda-developers

Found this to be the most stable Kernel, includes Interactive Schedualer and overclockable up to 1.2g.

[KERNEL][.35.14][OC, CIFS, TUN]intersectRaven's Kernel 02/16/2012 18:00 - xda-developers

Otherwise I love my Kindle so figured I would share what I had the best experiences with.

Lol, klehman. I did everything the way you suggested (well mostly) last night, then I see you post this. KFU is super easy, I definitely recommend that too.

Have to say that I am really happy with my purchase. More than worth $139. I also think the wife will want to use it a lot as well, we might need to get another.... :eek:

Upvote 0
So I got my girlfriend a kindle fire for Christmas and waited until like 3days ago to get on the "root - kindle fire" forums here. You can see my post at http://androidforums.com/kindle-fire-all-things-root/523518-roms-rooting.html . I used adb to root my fire but I would use root check to see and it would say it wasn't rooted. So I said to hell with it and did it all the same way I do my triumph. I used adb to install clockworkmod recovery, made a back up of my kindle fire rom, then wipe/factory reset, and flashed cm7. Worked perfect I didn't have any problems. The fire's forums on here and xda are a little confusing, there isn't a stickie about all the steps with a walkthrough. I got all my help from forum Guide AirMaxx23, new his stuff I tell ya what.

Reactions: vwsunroof
Upvote 0
pictures of my kindle fire running an ICS rom. took the pics with my ipad2 so the quality isnt super great but ok.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 28
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 30
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones