• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

I apparently had a bad first install of the update, as I got nothing but freezes and forced closes. I reinstalled and all seems fine, but have only made two calls. I will do more tomorrow and report back. Thanks for sending the apk. Is 1.1.8 the same one?

Mostly the same. Added a checkbox to disable bluetooth completely. But that's the only difference between what I emailed you and 1.1.8. I'd just pull down 1.1.8

Upvote 0
Most calls are still ringing my phone and call quality is good.

But ALL calls from my home phone (Viatalk VOIP) go straight to Google Voicemail (with no ringing). Any clue what to try to fix this? I don't have any odd settings in GV that would cause this. My home phone is listed as one of my forwarding phones, but it is not checked.

Upvote 0
Most calls are still ringing my phone and call quality is good.

But ALL calls from my home phone (Viatalk VOIP) go straight to Google Voicemail (with no ringing). Any clue what to try to fix this? I don't have any odd settings in GV that would cause this. My home phone is listed as one of my forwarding phones, but it is not checked.

Even though it's not checked Google Voice your home phone is still listed in the account? I believe GV recognizes the numbers listed in your accout and when you call from one of them they think you're calling to check your Voicemail.

Upvote 0
‎1.1.8 is up on the android market
- Fix a reconnect issue
- Add a setting to disable Bluetooth in GrooVe IP
- Default Bluetooth to on if a device is sync'd

Not sure you saw this.. It got cut off on the last page:

Outgoing bluetooth calls work perfectly now! For incoming calls when bluetooth is synch'd, I have to press the answer button on groove.. Would be great if on an incoming call it would send a signal to my bluetooth device and allow the device to pick up similar to how my phone did it pre-groove.. Would that be possible? Thanks, Dan

Upvote 0
Not sure you saw this.. It got cut off on the last page:

Outgoing bluetooth calls work perfectly now! For incoming calls when bluetooth is synch'd, I have to press the answer button on groove.. Would be great if on an incoming call it would send a signal to my bluetooth device and allow the device to pick up similar to how my phone did it pre-groove.. Would that be possible? Thanks, Dan

Will take a look. Right now I don't know how to intercept button presses from a BT device, but I'm sure it's in the android documentation.

Upvote 0
I have my home phone and my cell phone added as a forwarding phone. When I installed Groove IP I unchecked the forwarding option (so only Gchat is checked). I deleted my home phone this morning, but using it still goes straight to VM. Not sure if servers had to catch up or not, I'll try again tonight.

edit: I "may" have discovered the problem. In GV even though I have only the Gchat box checked for forwarding, I looked at "Groups", and there are separate forwarding options there. All were set to forward to cell (no clue how that happened, or if it's even relevant since my default setting was Gchat). No one home, so I can't check until tonight.

Even though it's not checked Google Voice your home phone is still listed in the account? I believe GV recognizes the numbers listed in your accout and when you call from one of them they think you're calling to check your Voicemail.

Upvote 0
I have a Sprint Evo 4G and I'm planning on using this in the UK to make/receive calls over WiFi (no cell phone capability over there). I've been trying out the app and can make calls fine in airplane mode (wifi only) but cannot receive calls, I suspect it may be due to my GV configuration.

I keep seeing people mention having Google chat ticked for forwarding, in my GV Phone Settings I see my sprint phone number and Google Chat, but no boxes to tick for forwarding. Anyone any ideas how to get GV to forward to Google Chat for GrooveIP to work for receiving calls? Maybe something to do with Sprint integration (I don't have a separate GV number)?

Upvote 0
That check box is in the Google Voice settings. You need to access that on a PC or through the GV account on a browser (I don't think the app has that option).

I keep seeing people mention having Google chat ticked for forwarding, in my GV Phone Settings I see my sprint phone number and Google Chat, but no boxes to tick for forwarding. Anyone any ideas how to get GV to forward to Google Chat for GrooveIP to work for receiving calls? Maybe something to do with Sprint integration (I don't have a separate GV number)?

Upvote 0
That check box is in the Google Voice settings. You need to access that on a PC or through the GV account on a browser (I don't think the app has that option).

Sorry, should have mentioned that - I am accessing via a PC browser, in the Settings/Phone tab it looks like this, just 2 entries and no boxes to tick, nor when I click on Edit on either of them:

Your Google voicemail access number
(857) XXX-XXXXGet a Google Voice number

Registered Phones:
Phone 1: (978) YYY-YYYY
(978) YYY-YYYY- Mobile
Edit Delete Deactivate voicemail

Google chat
ZZZZZZZ@gmail.com
Edit Delete

Upvote 0
Odd, mine has check boxes on left:

GVset.jpg

By the way, if you have your "Home" number as a phone (even if not checked), there may be a problem when calling from that phone. Mine went straight to voicemail from my home phone, until I removed it from here (and from my contact info), now it will ring my cell.

Upvote 0
Thanks snrb for the quick and awesome updates.
The question I have is that, I am currently abroad and can call family in the U.S. just fine, they can also call my GV number and everything works great (aside from echo on their side), but when they call me are they charged for an international call or just the normal rate for whatever my GV number is. So when I call them or they call me are they charged for a normal local call as opposed to an expensive international call?

Thank you so much for this application!

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is the right place to post a question, but here goes:

Using Groove IP on my Acer Iconia tablet. It works well, but I have a few issues:

1) Audio from calls does not follow the device's volume slider. Do I need to go into the software settings each time I want to adjust the audio volume?

2) DTMF seems to duplicate (ie. I enter 215432, and it reads 221154322) quite often when trying to enter conference codes and such. This seems to be a hit-and-miss issue, but I would say it occurs 50% of the time.

3) Still trying to figure this one out, but my Plantronics Go 6400 bluetooth headset does not seem to play well with the software.

Great app by the way, just thought I would bring up these issues I am seeing.

Upvote 0
Thanks snrb for the quick and awesome updates.
The question I have is that, I am currently abroad and can call family in the U.S. just fine, they can also call my GV number and everything works great (aside from echo on their side), but when they call me are they charged for an international call or just the normal rate for whatever my GV number is. So when I call them or they call me are they charged for a normal local call as opposed to an expensive international call?

Thank you so much for this application!

They will just be charged the cost of making a call to your GV number. So if the GV number is local for them, they pay for a local phone call.

Upvote 0
Please see post 473 and post 474.

I installed 1.1.8 on my Droid X2 and tried an outgoing call. Unfortunately, there was terrible stuttering/choppiness, same as before (with 1.1.6).

I then turned on Settings > Troubleshooting > Outgoing Audio Processing and tried a call again. After an unusually long pause, I heard a *click* like the connection was made and ringing/voicemail should start. However, instead, my phone was unresponsive and seemed to be dead. After pushing lots of buttons, including the holding down the power button, the phone came back to life. I saw this same behavior earlier with GrooVe IP 1.1.6.

Are there any Droid X2 owners out there that have GrooVe IP working?

Upvote 0
Greetings Android community,

I just installed Groove IP (1.1.8). Everything seems to works great, except that the sound is extremely quiet; nearly inaudible, in fact. I've tried every work-around and configuration within the programs menus and my system volume settings and nothing seems to solve the problem. As far as I can tell, the sound quality is good (not choppy, distorted or echoey). It's just quiet.

I have been using Google Voice and Sipgate on CSipSimple for some time now. This works acceptably, except that the sound quality seems to fluctuate from bad to worse. I get a lot of feedback and delay which is frustrating when trying to have a conversation.

Note that all experimentation has been on a Wi-Fi connection. The phone does not have service at this time. Also, note, I have tried using headset, handset and speakerphone all with similar results.

Samsung Mesmerize
OS 2.1, Voodoo kernel

If anybody has any helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just discovered this app, as I was waiting for Talkatone to come to Android. It's great to see a developer that is so available. I don't know if it's been asked yet, but would it be possible to use multiple GV accounts with Groove IP? This has been a limitation for many users with more than one GV account and would be a great feature/selling point. Judging by the feedback here, I am just about ready to purchase it anyway.

Upvote 0
First of all, I am new to Android. I have my new phone all loaded up with apps and doing my bidding. GrooVe IP is the only app I've purchased and I am deliriously happy with it. After several false starts (such is the quality of advice on the Internet), I got it up & working perfectly. Now, after 3 happy days and lots of bragging to my sibs, kids, and grandkids (yes, I know that just knocked GrooVe IP a few notches down the cool scale), suddenly I am disconnected from the Sprint 3G network. Virgin Mobile customer service claims to have no idea why. They had me do the usual -- pull the battery, look at the settings (they tried to convince me this was "reprogramming the phone"), etc.

Here's my question. I have an LG Optimus V. Is it possible Virgin put something in the firmware or software to detect the use of GrooVe IP on the data network? There's lots of speculation about this on the Internet. Seems more likely that the network is down and they're unwilling to admit it, but I thought I would ask. Anyone know? Or have other suggestions?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones