• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

- Fix problems with sign-in
- Improve app stability
- Create a sign-in screen with error reporting
- Calls to 911 from the native dialer should always use the mobile network never GrooVe IP
- Default bluetooth to on if a bluetooth device is synced
- Remove Flurry Analytics
- Make GrooVe IP contact list searchable
- Add app version to the help
- Try to obtain WIFI_MODE_FULL_HIGH_PERF lock
- Add a dial prefix configuration

Great update!

I tested the bluetooth improvement and here is what I am seeing:

With a bt device connected and paired, when I call out using the bt device groove enables bluetooth properly the first time.. Then if I try a second call, groove comes up with bluetooth disabled. If I restart groove and try again it again works the first time but not the second and any after until I restart groove.

When I hang up using my bt device, groove remains connected.

When receiving calls, I have yet to see groove turn on bluetooth even thoug I am paired (I tried 3 times).

I'm on a dell streak 5. Let me know if I can test anything else for you.

Thanks,
Dan

Upvote 0
After some testing:

Although Bluetooth is synced and working very well (1st time I've used it with Groove), it disconnects from Groove after each call, so I have to select "Bluetooth" for each call on the phone screen, after dialing.

Can't believe we didn't catch that. And none of the beta testers did either. Ah well, easy enough to fix. Will be in the next update in a week or two.

Ok fixed the issue. So will be in the next update. Can't believe that slipped through.

Reactions: Pinan
Upvote 0
Just a quick question for snrb, if we purchased through amazon apps store do we wait for it to show up in amazon apps store on the phone for the update?

Shuttle

Yes, you'll have to wait for it to show up in the amazon app store. We uploaded the update there. Amazon does their own testing for each update before posting it. Hopefully the update should be available there in a day or two.

Upvote 0
Cool, hope Amazon pushes it soon. My findings so far:

I called home and wife heard echo. I dropped mic gain from -2 to -3 and she says it's now fine.

I call my GV# from another phone at work, rings and I can answer fine.

My wife calls my GV# from home, it goes straight to VM, phone doesn't ring, I get GV email quickly. What could that problem be (I am on Viatalk VOIP at home)????

Does your new "contacts search" allow you to set "favorites" when you click the contacts button? (that would be nice), I have 1500 contacts, I always use "favorites" (or call log) in my default dialer.

Speakerphone still doesn't work. I use "Car Mode" in my car which automatically uses speakerphone on any incoming or outgoing calls (I don't use Bluetooth). Doesn't work pressing speaker button either. This is a "must have" request.

I really don't care about the "free calls" aspect of Groove IP (I use about 50 minutes a month), I really just want the functionality (especially on WiFi). I can say call quality is great on both Wifi and 3G for me.

Upvote 0
Can't believe we didn't catch that. And none of the beta testers did either. Ah well, easy enough to fix. Will be in the next update in a week or two.

Ok fixed the issue. So will be in the next update. Can't believe that slipped through.
Great! :)

I don't know if this update was supposed to fix handoff from wifi to 3G and back, but I still have the same problem as before. No worky. :(

Upvote 0
Sometimes, but not always. With the new update it was worse than usual. Neither 3g>wifi or wifi>3g were handing off. It's somewhat sporadic.

I'll do more testing, but 3g to wifi syncs (mostly) after opening app, as you asked above. Wifi>3g reguired exiting/restarting the app.

What happens if you press the sign in button on the login screen? Shouldn't have to restart the app.

Upvote 0
Just got app yesterday. I love the concept and want to get rid of my landline but my cell service stinks in the house. Works pretty good but the echo is really bad for folks on the other end and I've tested it on all the different gain settings. Any ideas?

I'm using a HTC INC and my wife has a Moto Droid X2, so if it works, I'll get another app for her.

BTW, I read most of the thread, I'm logged out on gmail....any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Just got app yesterday. I love the concept and want to get rid of my landline but my cell service stinks in the house. Works pretty good but the echo is really bad for folks on the other end and I've tested it on all the different gain settings. Any ideas?

I'm using a HTC INC and my wife has a Moto Droid X2, so if it works, I'll get another app for her.

BTW, I read most of the thread, I'm logged out on gmail....any help would be appreciated.

Reduce the speaker volume and microphone gain. That should improve the echo. I wouldn't purchase on the X2, a few people have contacted us with problems on that device. We're looking into those issues. Currently have marked the X2 as unsupported on the android market.

Upvote 0
What happens if you press the sign in button on the login screen? Shouldn't have to restart the app.
I don't get the login screen every time, so will have to test.

Tonight I got home (3g>wifi) and app did find the wifi after a minute or so, but signed in and out several times. I did get/press the sign in key then, and it synced up with wifi. Something changed with this update. Seems rougher now, in this regard.

Upvote 0
I don't get the login screen every time, so will have to test.

Tonight I got home (3g>wifi) and app did find the wifi after a minute or so, but signed in and out several times. I did get/press the sign in key then, and it synced up with wifi. Something changed with this update. Seems rougher now, in this regard.

I got this to happen once. It happened when I had a bad connection. Looking at the logs there was a socket exception. And for some reason the app did not try and reconnect after that. Looking into why it didn't try and reconnect. We'll likely post another update quickly with just that fix when we figure it out.

Upvote 0
I purchased the app through the android marketplace and have gotten allthe updates through 1.1.6. Just went to the marketplace to see if the latest update was available and the app didn't show up. Used search and it didn't come up. I am on the Galaxy Tab WiFi only.
I was hping the latest update would fix the problem of not having the called party not hearing me. Has the app been removed from the WiFi tab for noncompatabiility?

Upvote 0
I purchased the app through the android marketplace and have gotten allthe updates through 1.1.6. Just went to the marketplace to see if the latest update was available and the app didn't show up. Used search and it didn't come up. I am on the Galaxy Tab WiFi only.
I was hping the latest update would fix the problem of not having the called party not hearing me. Has the app been removed from the WiFi tab for noncompatabiility?

Customers using the GT-P1010 have had problems with the mic and the app. In order to prevent more orders we marked it as incompatible while we try and find a solution. We've purchased a GT-P1010 to see if we can find out what the problem is. Anyone who purchased the app for a GT-P1010 can email us at snrb.labs@gmail.com and get a refund. We are looking at the problem and hopefully will have a solution soon.

Upvote 0
I think the app actually deteriorated. I had less disconnects prior to this update. I still love this app.

Beeray

Beeray,

I sent Pinan a new apk. Looks like the app wasn't handling a socket error condition properly. If you send me an email (snrb.labs@gmail.com) I can send you the new apk to try as well. It's not easy for me to duplicate the issue but some people seem to be running into it more often.

Upvote 0
‎1.1.8 is up on the android market
- Fix a reconnect issue
- Add a setting to disable Bluetooth in GrooVe IP
- Default Bluetooth to on if a device is sync'd

Outgoing bluetooth calls work perfectly now! For incoming calls when bluetooth is synch'd, I have to press the answer button on groove.. Would be great if on an incoming call it would send a signal to my bluetooth device and allow the device to pick up similar to how my dialer did it pre-groove.. Would that be possible?

Thanks,
Dan

Upvote 0
Beeray,

I sent Pinan a new apk. Looks like the app wasn't handling a socket error condition properly.
I apparently had a bad first install of the update, as I got nothing but freezes and forced closes. I reinstalled and all seems fine, but have only made two calls. I will do more tomorrow and report back. Thanks for sending the apk. Is 1.1.8 the same one?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones