• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root apps to sd card

bill236

I'm rooted and want to remove apps or atleast move them to the SD card, I tried all the apps to SD apps I could find and all of them come up with an error "24" unknown, anyone get apps to SD to work?

apps2sd type apps only move part of the apps to the sd card. you want a2sd. not sure about your phone, but most recoveries should have the ability to partition your sd card. and i'm not sure if your phone is covered by dark tremors which is a script that can move the apps fully to the sd card.

I did all the suggested apps, none of them work, it appears that the Prevail 2 does not see the sd card as a external drive but sees it as internal, I have formatted the sd card and get the same results, there is no second partition to map to, I see others are working on a rom and a kernel, as it is now, being rooted does not give me the ability to do much of anything, I can't move apps, remove useless apps installed by Boost, data usage with WiFi tether, right now the only way to get access is using the USB cable, which is recorded by Boost, anyone have any ideas, as I can't write code, I will just wait it out until someone comes up with the answers.

I did all the suggested apps, none of them work, it appears that the Prevail 2 does not see the sd card as a external drive but sees it as internal, I have formatted the sd card and get the same results, there is no second partition to map to, I see others are working on a rom and a kernel, as it is now, being rooted does not give me the ability to do much of anything, I can't move apps, remove useless apps installed by Boost, data usage with WiFi tether, right now the only way to get access is using the USB cable, which is recorded by Boost, anyone have any ideas, as I can't write code, I will just wait it out until someone comes up with the answers.

you can remove useless apps from boost by using titanium backup. just tap the app you don't want and hit uninstall ^-^

Thank you, I completely forgot about titanium backup as a way to un-install the programs I will never use, it was the first download I did with my new phone and then did a backup.

Hey man i got da f7 and wat i did was get link2sd and an app called aparted it is for partition ur sd w/o a computer even has a lil video on how to do it my girl has ur same phone and it works too try it out

Hi all -

Here's what worked for me:

Make sure to back up your SD card first!

First - I followed the sticky on how to root the Prevail 2 - it worked like a charm, but then I RTFM :D

I did Google "Framaroot" and downloaded the latest version 1.9.4 (which includes SuperSU), but otherwise I followed the directions in the post and it worked.

Second - I downloaded AParted which is an Android partition manager not unlike GParted. I rebooted my phone just to be safe.

Third - I launched AParted (and confirmed that I want to grant it root access in the SuperSU pop-up) and I partitioned my SD card into 3 partitions:

1. The first partition is for media (the partition your phone will be able to see), I formatted it as FAT32 so Windows and the phone would be able to read it.
  2. The second partition I created is a SWAP partition. Since my SD card is category 6 (which is really cheap), it's plenty fast. Much faster than a swap file or partition located on a mechanical hard drive.
  3. The third and final partition I created is for applications - so I chose to format it with EXT4, which is a fast and journaled file system.

Fourth - After saving/applying, I rebooted my phone just to be safe.

Fifth - I launched Link2SD, confirmed that I want to grant it root permissions in the SuperSU pop-up, and started moving (Link2SD calls this "Linking") apps to the third partition I created.

I found that the phone was noticeably faster after moving applications to the SD card - I'm not sure why this is. The phone's RAM is supposed to be separate from the application storage, but it was noticeably faster after freeing up some room on the phone.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom