• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Pre-Order and Release date discussion thread

I would not put too much faith in their in store date. Everytime I asked over the phone the answer I got was we haven't announced the phone yet. meanwhile their website is taking email addresses for an official announcement. So I signed up. At 12am I logged on and viola I was able to order. Still have not received that email telling me its available. So my advice is go for the sure thing, but depending.g on stock it may be too late to preorder and get it early.

Upvote 0
I tried to order online, I'm due for an upgrade but I have several special things on my plan such as the $5 200 texts plan, $25 2GB data plan, and an employee discount, and I want to keep all that stuff instead of getting railroaded into their new more expensive plans (I get out the door after tax and fees for $63 a month, and want to hold the line on that, and I'm one of the few no lifers who can get by on 200 texts...)

And went I went to pre order the SGS3 online, it sends me to a "pick your plan" type screens where I am only allowed the option of the new more expensive data plans, etc.

Is there any way around this type of thing?

It looks like the only way for me is to go to the store and haggle with them to keep my plans.

BTW I called the store and asked on the date, he asked somebody in the background and that person started to say the sunday after the 21st, then I think changed it to the 21st, I dont remember. So the 10th didn't hold for me.

I'm guessing ATT is not going to get it before the others I'm sure it's planned that way. Maybe the 17th, or they let people start picking it up a little early type thing at best is my guess.

Upvote 0
I tried to order online, I'm due for an upgrade but I have several special things on my plan such as the $5 200 texts plan, $25 2GB data plan, and an employee discount, and I want to keep all that stuff instead of getting railroaded into their new more expensive plans (I get out the door after tax and fees for $63 a month, and want to hold the line on that, and I'm one of the few no lifers who can get by on 200 texts...)

And went I went to pre order the SGS3 online, it sends me to a "pick your plan" type screens where I am only allowed the option of the new more expensive data plans, etc.

Is there any way around this type of thing?

It looks like the only way for me is to go to the store and haggle with them to keep my plans.

BTW I called the store and asked on the date, he asked somebody in the background and that person started to say the sunday after the 21st, then I think changed it to the 21st, I dont remember. So the 10th didn't hold for me.

I'm guessing ATT is not going to get it before the others I'm sure it's planned that way. Maybe the 17th, or they let people start picking it up a little early type thing at best is my guess.

You might try calling. I had a hard time getting the rebate due to an outdated plan but after over an hour on the phone with them. They finally figured out the issue and was able to get the phone at $199 with my current plans. I had to order this morning because of this and it still says by the 21st.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming that what I want to do will work but I thought I'd ask anyway. My upgrade date is July 14 and I want the S3 on day 1. My girlfriend has an iPhone and has an upgrade available now. So today I used her upgrade for the S3. I'm assuming it'll come with no sim and I can simply put my sim in and it'll work fine and her iPhone will continue to work as usual. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
I'm assuming that what I want to do will work but I thought I'd ask anyway. My upgrade date is July 14 and I want the S3 on day 1. My girlfriend has an iPhone and has an upgrade available now. So today I used her upgrade for the S3. I'm assuming it'll come with no sim and I can simply put my sim in and it'll work fine and her iPhone will continue to work as usual. Is this correct?

It should come with a micro SIM for her account (that's what happened when I upgraded my wife's iPhone 4 to a 4s). If it does, all you have to do is go down to an AT&T store and get a micro sim for your account. One other thing to watch out for is that AT&T differentiates data plans for iPhones and non-iPhones in their system. So you may have to call them and have her data plan switched back to an iPhone plan after you get the phone up and running.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
I currently have my service with ATT and I am interested in this phone. Since the phone uses a microsim instead of a regular sim I have 2 options. I could either cut my current sim or get a microsim. How could I get a microsim from ATT without them knowing what kind of phone it is for? I want to be able to use the non-smartphone plan with this phone and I am afraid if I bring the phone in they will prevent me from switching to that plan. Would ATT give me a microsim without me bringing in my phone?

**EDIT** This question is for the International unlocked version

Upvote 0
I currently have my service with ATT and I am interested in this phone. Since the phone uses a microsim instead of a regular sim I have 2 options. I could either cut my current sim or get a microsim. How could I get a microsim from ATT without them knowing what kind of phone it is for? I want to be able to use the non-smartphone plan with this phone and I am afraid if I bring the phone in they will prevent me from switching to that plan. Would ATT give me a microsim without me bringing in my phone?

You can but micro sims for AT&T on eBay. Problem is you will have to call AT&T to get that micro sim activated to your account and they are not going to give you anything but either a iPhone plan or a smartphone plan. Even if you cut your sim down and insert it in the SG3, they will detect it if you use data and charge you for a plan or you will get no data and just have a large phone with no data services.

Upvote 0
It will be a big surprise!:)

I just pre-ordered at a corp store yesterday. I have a very close friend who is a regional w AT&T and he always gives me inside info. He has no solid date for a in-store launch but his inclination is 6/24. He usually gives me dates weeks in advance and is always on.

I get that you have scoop that AT&T is launching this Sunday?

Upvote 0
I just pre-ordered at a corp store yesterday. I have a very close friend who is a regional w AT&T and he always gives me inside info. He has no solid date for a in-store launch but his inclination is 6/24.

Does that mean they will start shipping on that date or prior to that date (like two or three days before)? I also heard about June 18th launch date, but who knows :p

Upvote 0
You can but micro sims for AT&T on eBay. Problem is you will have to call AT&T to get that micro sim activated to your account and they are not going to give you anything but either a iPhone plan or a smartphone plan. Even if you cut your sim down and insert it in the SG3, they will detect it if you use data and charge you for a plan or you will get no data and just have a large phone with no data services.

I thought since ATT will not recognize the IMEI number they can not tell it is a smartphone. I dont use that much data so why would they not give me a non-smartphone plan?

Upvote 0
I just pre-ordered at a corp store yesterday. I have a very close friend who is a regional w AT&T and he always gives me inside info. He has no solid date for a in-store launch but his inclination is 6/24. He usually gives me dates weeks in advance and is always on.

I get that you have scoop that AT&T is launching this Sunday?
I put money on it it'll be the 21st.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones