• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Backing up EFS partition

DMedina559

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2012
California
I've seen a lot of post about not being able to backup the EFS partition. So I've got somewhat of a solution. Just requires root and a terminal emulator (adb works too)
In terminal just do:

and it'll make a backup img of that partition. I'm not sure about restoring it with Android booted butI think there's adb access in recovery. There is a terminal emulator in twrp.

Last edited:
dfuse06 consulted with another developer and what he told me is that the partitions you actually need to backup are modemst1 and modemst2. Of course you could also make an efs.img just in case. The best way to restore is with a recovery flashable zip or an Odin flashable tar. Restoring while booted in android can cause problems and possibly make the situation worse.

Upvote 0
I went ahead and made a backup of efs.img modemst1.img and modemst2.img using terminal emulator. Here's a screenshot.
Edit: its kinda funny that the 3 img files that I got added up to 20MB but when I zipped them up the zip was only 3MB

Attachments

• 1430203509621.jpg
    1430203509621.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Reactions: DMedina559
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones