• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root backup my desire before rooting

jarves

Dec 13, 2010
Hi,

I've search this site for backing up before rooting but there were no replies so I thought I should start my own thread. They are somewhat similar to other post.

Is it possible to do a backup of the whole phone system and data before rooting? Backup apps require the phone to be rooted first.

Thanks!

please answer the question directly Jarves we are trying to help you.
by default an ext partition is not needed at all.
Please explain what you are trying to achieve

Sorry guys im really confused. Let me try to explain myself futher. My phone is unrooted using stock rom. Yes by default my sdcard is formated in linux filesystem. How did i know? I downloaded astro file manager and see that the folder structure is much like linux. So I was thinking that a linux filesystem on the sdcard is really needed. That is why I got confused as to why others say to format the sdcard in fat32, partition the sdcard, etc... Maybe you guys could explain to me in layman's term the whole thing.

Upvote 0
The sd card is fat32. Android is based on Linux which would explain the folder structure.

The card needs to be fat32 otherwise it would be useless in a windows pc

There are modifications that require ext secondary partition which is why you confused us.

Oh I see. But is it okay if the two different partitions (windows and linux) coexist on the sdcard?

Upvote 0
Oh I see. But is it okay if the two different partitions (windows and linux) coexist on the sdcard?

Unless you are doing something that Specifically requires a second partition, you will only have 1 partition which will be FAT32.

Scripts like Apps2SD+ will use a second (EXT) partition, if you are using this within a custom ROM.

This is ok, as they are partitioned, but the second partition us 100% useless to the phone. You cant use it for anything, except if a script uses it as mentioned above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones