• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bad Battery - Video Included - Please Follow

I've been using the Tylt Vu wireless charger for the last year on the Maxx and Turbo and have not encountered this problem on either phone.

There are lots of possibilities ... everyone assumes that the numbers being displayed are true. Perhaps they aren't. Perhaps it is a software glitch or combination hardware/software glitch.

... Thom

Doesn't matter if the numbers being displayed are true or not. When your phone drains and SHUTS OFF after 5 minutes there's something seriously wrong with it! Yes, obviously theres a glitch somewhere and it not likely caused by Qi charging stands. I'd like to think it's because of some App I've installed, but there is no consistency in the occurrence of the glitch to allow me to determine that. Hoping for Lollipop soon to see if that cures it!

Since it happens to you so infrequently running in Safe Mode would not help. You'd have to run it too long.

Have you tried the turbo charger?

... Thom

Since it happens to you so infrequently running in Safe Mode would not help. You'd have to run it too long.

Have you tried the turbo charger?

... Thom
Yes, the last time this happened, I had been using the Qi charger. It went from 100% to dead in a few minutes. When I got home I put it on the Turbo charger and it showed 100% in a few minutes. Took it off the Turbo charger and it went back to zero at 1% per second. Restarted it and put it back on Qi charger for a couple hours and it's been OK. Not great battery life, but at least it's not running down in just a couple minutes.

Yes, the last time this happened, I had been using the Qi charger. It went from 100% to dead in a few minutes. When I got home I put it on the Turbo charger and it showed 100% in a few minutes. Took it off the Turbo charger and it went back to zero at 1% per second. Restarted it and put it back on Qi charger for a couple hours and it's been OK. Not great battery life, but at least it's not running down in just a couple minutes.

This seems to be a common experience. Again, not everybody who uses a Qi charger is reporting this problem, but that seems to be a common thread. For those having similar problems without Qi, I wonder if it's from having used a low amp third party charger?

So, hating to sound like a broken record, I think all Turbo owners should charge with nothing but the Turbo charger that came with the unit until Motorola and Verizon produce a fix for it. It could be if you are having no trouble with qi that you're just having no trouble with qi charging *so far*.

The fix for those who are having the 100 to zero bug in a few minutes seems to be:

• Plug into the turbo charger
  • While plugged in, do a wipe of the cache partition
  • Continue charging to 100%
  • Pull the power briefly and then plug in again for another 30 to 45 minutes

That seems to help people who've reported this issue.

I don't know if this is related or not, but I am very disappointed with my Turbo's battery life. I took it off charge at 7:15 this morning and it is at 31% battery at 4:30 pm. Seems it should be much better than that. I am using a 3rd party charger at home overnight. I have my turbo charger at work. I hate to say it, but the user experience isn't as good as my Droid Maxx.

Update: On my way home from work at 5:15 pm the low battery chime sounded. I took a look at my battery status and to my surprise the screen was not the biggest drain on the battery...the TuneIn Radio app was. Guess I need to find out why that is. TuneIn Radio was never an issue on my Maxx. I was streaming all day via WiFi.

Attached screenshot showing 14% battery life after 9.5 hours off charge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-15-17-11-20.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-15-17-11-20.png
    450.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Darn phone is down from 100% to 34% in 5 hours today!!! Nothing different in the use or conditions or location. Mostly just sitting at idle! Normally this period used about 15% of the battery. Seriously upset with this condition.

I haven't used my Qi charger on my Turbo except once, and haven't used my Turbo charger either. I've been using the one that came with my Droid Maxx, and haven't had any issues with it. I'm hesitant to use the charger that came with it, since overheating the battery can reduce it's life cycle.

This seems to be a common experience. Again, not everybody who uses a Qi charger is reporting this problem, but that seems to be a common thread. For those having similar problems without Qi, I wonder if it's from having used a low amp third party charger?

So, hating to sound like a broken record, I think all Turbo owners should charge with nothing but the Turbo charger that came with the unit until Motorola and Verizon produce a fix for it. It could be if you are having no trouble with qi that you're just having no trouble with qi charging *so far*.

The fix for those who are having the 100 to zero bug in a few minutes seems to be:

• Plug into the turbo charger
  • While plugged in, do a wipe of the cache partition
  • Continue charging to 100%
  • Pull the power briefly and then plug in again for another 30 to 45 minutes

That seems to help people who've reported this issue.
How do I wipe the cache partition?

It's the turbo charger. IMHO. I used it once since I've had the phone, and the tylt charger twice. Other than that I've used the charger that came with my razr maxx hd almost exclusively and get two full days of life with some to spare (15 to 20%) every time! Leave hooked up every other night, and works like clock work. I've said since I got the phone (the day it came out) I think the turbo charger damages the phone. The reason I only turbo charged once is that I only got one day discharge from it. That can't be good for the battery!? I'd be glad to hear that someone is using the turbo charger exclusively and has no problems with their battery. I feel you may be the exception and not the rule.

It's the turbo charger. IMHO. I used it once since I've had the phone, and the tylt charger twice. Other than that I've used the charger that came with my razr maxx hd almost exclusively and get two full days of life with some to spare (15 to 20%) every time! Leave hooked up every other night, and works like clock work. I've said since I got the phone (the day it came out) I think the turbo charger damages the phone. The reason I only turbo charged once is that I only got one day discharge from it. That can't be good for the battery!? I'd be glad to hear that someone is using the turbo charger exclusively and has no problems with their battery. I feel you may be the exception and not the rule.
So you think Motorola packaged this phone with a Charger that is going to damage the battery? IDK, but I seriously doubt your theory holds water. It may be an issue with the battery meter and low voltage chargers, so I'm going to try to use the Turbo Charger only from now on and see what happens. If it doesn't improve the situation I may need to move on to something else.

... or it could be a software error ... or there could have been a batch of batteries (not all) that have a deficiency and are encountering the problems.

What did your Verizon store say?

... Thom

I posted that to see if anyone would dispute with hard evidence otherwise, since the common factor in most of these complaints seems to be the chargers (wireless and turbo). I'm hoping I'm wrong about the turbo charger but haven't heard any complaints from those who only charge with a traditional wall charger. Any takers there??

I've been using a Verizon Qi charging cradle since day one with zero issues. It's on the charger every other day for 8 hours while I'm at work. I've used the Turbo charger once, and for only 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I've been using a Verizon Qi charging cradle since day one with zero issues. It's on the charger every other day for 8 hours while I'm at work. I've used the Turbo charger once, and for only 15 minutes.
Don't let that make you feel good. That was the same situation I was in until recently. Had a quick battery run down issue on about day three or four of my new Droid Turbo. I had it on a Car Charger when it first happened. Then it happened again last week after using Nokia Qi chargers with no problem. Then it happened and the battery meter was off ever since.

Have cleared the cache and am using the Turbo charger only right now to see if that changes anything. Good luck!

Well this is exactly opposite of what everyone else is experiencing which leads me to beleive it's NOT a Charger issue! If it's happening with both Qi and Turbo chargers then it's not caused by the chargers. It would seem to be a software glitch.

Is there any change after installing 21.44.8?

... Thom
I initially thought I was getting better battery results after the update, but then a day or so after it had one of the rapid discharge episodes. Literally 1% per second discharge as I watched it go from 100% to Dead in les than 2 minutes and the phone shut off. I put it on the Turbo Charger and it read 100% within a few minutes! This is what makes me think there's a battery metering glitch somewhere. Obviously the battery can't go from dead to 100% in just a few minutes. Something is going screwy and it's not the battery!

Here;s something to consider ...

I was in Staples and my Maxx rang for an incoming call. The buttons on the front were all dead ... they would not respond to anything. I tired everything I could think of to clear it. Nothing worked. I figured I would get it replaced. As a last resort I did a Factory Data Reset so I could take it in for a replacement. The problems stopped and never came back. I still have the original. I'm still a little dumfounded about that one.

I use the Tylt Vu all the time and about once a week use the turbo charger. I do not have the problems you report.

You obviously have a stupid problem. What does your Verizon store say/recommend?

... Thom

I initially thought I was getting better battery results after the update, but then a day or so after it had one of the rapid discharge episodes. Literally 1% per second discharge as I watched it go from 100% to Dead in les than 2 minutes and the phone shut off. I put it on the Turbo Charger and it read 100% within a few minutes! This is what makes me think there's a battery metering glitch somewhere. Obviously the battery can't go from dead to 100% in just a few minutes. Something is going screwy and it's not the battery!

I think you're right. My suspicion is still that low amperage chargers are actually discharging the phone rather than charging, but the phone's charging circuitry isn't seeing the discharge - only the amps going in.

Just as an example, the Tylt Vü charger provides about 750 ma of charge, which may be too little for some people whose phones are using the battery while it is charging (background processing, or with the display turned on - say, if you are using Daydream or trying to use the phone as a deskside clock, etc.) I believe that the turbo charger output is 1.6 amp (for both standard and turbo charging, though turbo charging is about 15w vs. 8w for standard) - more than double the current supply.

Again, I'd be happier if there were some official word from Motorola and/or Verizon on this. But, Motorola says this on their support page: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/102353/p/30,6720,9277

It is best to use the Motorola charger that came with your phone. Chargers have different output capacities, and a weak charger will take longer to charge your battery. If you are using the device heavily at the time, it may be possible for a weak charger to fail to provide enough energy to actually charge at all.

I'd take Motorola's advice, at least right now.

So last night I had my Droid Turbo on the Turbo Charger. Took it off 11hrs and 35min ago and I still have 80% battery left! Same use pattern as usual. That is the BEST battery life I have ever had with this phone. It's also the first time I've used the Turbo Charger over night. From now on, it's the Turbo Charger or nothing! That is unless I need to charge it in the car...

So last night I had my Droid Turbo on the Turbo Charger. Took it off 11hrs and 35min ago and I still have 80% battery left! Same use pattern as usual. That is the BEST battery life I have ever had with this phone. It's also the first time I've used the Turbo Charger over night. From now on, it's the Turbo Charger or nothing! That is unless I need to charge it in the car...
UPDATE: So this is day 3 of my Turbo Charger only use and the Battery is performing beautifully! Averaging around 1.5% drain per hour with my normal use pattern. Never had such good battery life until I started using only the Turbo Charger! It's been off the charger for 3 1/2 hours today and I'm at 95% battery remaining. Mostly checking e-mail and a little facebook etc. For me I'm back in love with my Droid Turbo!

Well this is exactly opposite of what everyone else is experiencing which leads me to beleive it's NOT a Charger issue! If it's happening with both Qi and Turbo chargers then it's not caused by the chargers. It would seem to be a software glitch.

You have totally missed the point. You have not mentioned the wall charger at all. Qi/Turbo/Tylt whatever, they are NOT the same as a traditional wall charger that gives a consistent deep cycle charge. I'm trying to find out if any problems are associated with USING A TRADITIONAL WALL OUTLET.

Back
Top Bottom