• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Believers and Non-Believers

Do you still believe we will get Froyo/Gingerbread?

• Yes

Votes: 64 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 44.1%

• Total voters
Who cares that what the devs at XDA are for. They will have Ice Cream Sandwich on a captivate as soon as the source code is released, or whatever is next (Jell-o, Key-lime pie, lollipop, mousse... etc.)

Who cares that what the devs at XDA are for. They will have Ice Cream Sandwich on a captivate as soon as the source code is released, or whatever is next (Jell-o, Key-lime pie, lollipop, mousse... etc.)

I'm waiting for Strawberry Shortcake, myself.

No phone is perfect. No service is perfect. People will always be unhappy.

I'm mostly in this mindset. With a touch of "I don't need Samsung to babysit me and my phone." Meaning that, if I want something done on my phone, I'll do it myself. This is android were talking about, not IOS. :)

Granted, Samsung did say it was coming, but I don't really care that they haven't delivered. I'm kind of having trouble putting my point of view into words, but its something like: Once I've bought the product, its my problem, not theirs. I don't need, and in some cases even want a company to interfere with the way I use their product (ahem, apple). Obviously with things that would improve the experience, its great, but I don't expect it. The problem with this POV is in the event that the product malfunctions or breaks in some way that is their fault, I would, of course, expect them to fix it. Although, I wouldn't hold it against them, because I don't expect them to be perfect.

In the end, c'est la vie. I don't see that this is all that big of a deal. Certainly no point in dwelling on it, lets move on.

A twitter post is no proof imo

So...a statement made from the company itself isn't proof to you? Twitter is one of Samsung's main ways of communicating with its customers, yet you don't find it proof even though it came from the source? This is fact. Believe it.:cool:

modified

So...a statement made from the company itself isn't proof to you? Twitter is one of Samsung's main ways of communicating with its customers, yet you don't find it proof even though it came from the source? This is fact. Believe it.:cool:

modified

Hmm...in looking at the quote closer, it says Galaxy S phones in the US would be "upgradeable" to 2.2. I'm not a legal person, but that doesn't sound like they WOULD be upgraded...just that they have the capability to be upgraded..it's all semantics tho..how you perceive whether Samsung "promised" an upgrade really is meaningless to them and is probably not even an issue to 99% of Galaxy S owners in the US.

I agree that you shouldn't be forced into doing a technical process that also voids your warranty and threatens you with a bricked phone, but I bit the bullet and have now flashed my phone four times (twice each for each version of cog) and couldn't be happier. I've ran into problems and on my latest flash felt like I was doing things that could kill my phone but seems like everything has worked out.

Again, you shouldn't have to do any of this. I hope that if some non-related problem pops up i can get my phone back to stock and it wont be noticed and the non-related problem can be fixed (as I and all of you are looking at around 2 years with this device, and so many times products have defects that take a year plus to find; ie the xbox which I'm on my second replacement of).

But the option is there. Whatever it is that you want out of the 2.2 update you can have TONIGHT. You have to trade your warranty for it and you may brick your phone; though that is apparently very hard to do.

Beyond flash for the web, I don't know what people complaining here can't live without. Flash is entirely why I went with a custom rom. But whatever it is that you can't wait for, you literally can have tonight. It'll take you about an hour to do it right and verify your steps before you commit to them, but if I can do it then you can.

@Jofaba

I am not trying to push anyone to root.

However, my personal belief on the subject is as follows.

When you root, you are assuming responsibility for the software, just like if you over clock, your assuming responsibility for the hardware.

If I flash a rom and something goes wrong with the hardware and the phone no longer turns on. They can't prove I rooted.

Therefore if they manage to get the phone on and working... well it doesn't matter that I rooted.. my phone now runs.

If something goes wrong error wise with software.. it is usually fixable..

Unlike the nexus one.. these phone's can be unrooted.

So I really don't think there is as much danger there as people believe.

I think there is danger to say my mom or dad who have never rooted before..

Although I'm tempted to try cognition 2.1 since my friend said it works well and saves battery life.

your answer sounds like you don't mind the consequences of rooting. Personally I feel like rooting/flashing should be equal to operating system use. Would my motherboard company fault me for using Ubuntu instead of Windows? I understand that very technically "flashing a rom" is different than "installing a new operating system" but realistically they're the same no? My mind is blown that my cellphone company has more control over what I do with how I access their services than any other company with a similar business plan. It's odd!

^^^That's true..what a gross thought. As this is my first experience in many a year with a subsidized phone..it has convinced me that it is probably my last. Would be nice if there was more choice of unlocked, unbranded android devices as there is, for example, with symbian

your answer sounds like you don't mind the consequences of rooting. Personally I feel like rooting/flashing should be equal to operating system use. Would my motherboard company fault me for using Ubuntu instead of Windows? I understand that very technically "flashing a rom" is different than "installing a new operating system" but realistically they're the same no? My mind is blown that my cellphone company has more control over what I do with how I access their services than any other company with a similar business plan. It's odd!

To be perfectly honest.. I think you and I are about on the same train of thought.

I really do feel that flashing is about the same as installing ubuntu.

The way I look at it is like this.

If I buy an HP computer and install ubuntu or any other os.. odds are when something goes wrong. Hp isn't going to be able to do jack to help me

Now on the flip side.. if my Ram goes bad.. they don't ever even need to know I installed ubuntu.

All they need to know is my ram is bad and they owe me a new stick.

If I screw up the dual boot by deleting the bootloader and powering it down before fixing it.

Thats my own problem to fix. Easy? sure but, still a possible situation that would freak your average user out.

To be honest.. I think if samsung just released the source code to the devs could make a perfect replica of Froyo or gingerbread for those of us who flash.. I would be happy.

If my phone died, like I said.. if its software thats my problem if its hardware, they gotta fix my phone to prove I did anything.

Do I expect everyone to be the same way? no not really.

But, I think that the dangers of root are probably about the same as dual booting.. maybe a little bit more dangerous since it is a newer field.

However, I think long term.. we should all get use to rooting and rom flashing.

Even after the captivate, I feel safe in saying there will probably always be a reason to flash.

@Snowfox

I have never thought of Samsung releasing the source code. That is a really good idea. The devs would probably make a better Froyo than they would:D

I would be happy if they did that but lets face it...that isn't going to happen.

@Snowfox

I have never thought of Samsung releasing the source code. That is a really good idea. The devs would probably make a better Froyo than they would:D

I would be happy if they did that but lets face it...that isn't going to happen.

That is one thing I think should be required.

if the manufacturers aren't going to release updates within a timely manner..

they should be forced to let the devs do it.

This is open source after all.

If no devs pick it up too bad so sad.

But, I see no reason that we should be held back from upgrading our open source devices.

Just because samsung made the phone doesn't mean they have to make all the updates to the os..

It would really encourage samsung to step up or step aside I think.

Wonder if there is any legit legal recourse on that one.

The open source parts are in the AOSP - the manufacturer-specific launcher, drivers and kernel need not necessarily be.

For Android, the Apache license is in force, not the GPL, fwiw.

The open source parts are in the AOSP - the manufacturer-specific launcher, drivers and kernel need not necessarily be.

For Android, the Apache license is in force, not the GPL, fwiw.

Essentially everything needed to upgrade the open source software is in the manufacturers hands.

Seems sort of like "half open source".

So long as it's not derivative, there's no violation.

You can't expect to see TouchWiz or Sense in an open repository because it's on Android - take it from there.

Remember Stallman's motto - it's free as in speech, not free as in beer.

The Nexus S (or One) is the alternative if this is an issue.

Well I don't expect to see touchwiz or sense in any online repository.

However, all the drivers needed to install a vanilla upgrade to 2.2 or 2.3

If samsung is unable/unwilling to upgrade us to 2.2 or anything else in the future, I think they should at least have the decency to allow us to get the vanilla version of software.

I mean... I understand samsung/HTC/motorola/any other company.

Isn't going to want to support phone's forever.

However, I do think that we should at least have an option of getting the highest version our phone will support.

Keep in mind I am not complaining because I want an update or I expect an update.

I am more arguing on a philosophical nature why should open source be held back and un-upgraded?

Works derived from open source are still open source.

Proprietary works developed in parallel to that open source are proprietary.

Suggest we take this to PM or a Lounge for further discussion, the philosophy is too off-topic.

I gave in and decided to just root. Now running Cognition 3.02 and I couldn't be happier. I will be looking to XDA for new Roms instead of Samsung for their update. By the time the stock 2.2 comes out, XDA will have something even better already available.

I gave in and decided to just root. Now running Cognition 3.02 and I couldn't be happier. I will be looking to XDA for new Roms instead of Samsung for their update. By the time the stock 2.2 comes out, XDA will have something even better already available.
I've done the same. I've only been holding off on flashing roms because I was waiting for an "official" captivate froyo release. Although its not really official for the US, official for Canada is enough, since the international galaxy s froyo versions never seemed to be a perfect match for the captivate.

The only thing that kept me from rooting was the fear of bricking my phone. But once I found out that Hard Bricking your phone was pretty difficult, I decided, what the heck. Now I love my phone. It is perfect in every way

T-Mobile just announced today, they are going to be pushing out Froyo, starting tomorrow on their Galaxy S. You can expect the other carriers to follow suit, very soon.

See engadget for the news.

T-Mobile just announced today, they are going to be pushing out Froyo, starting tomorrow on their Galaxy S. You can expect the other carriers to follow suit, very soon.

See engadget for the news.

Whoa! Great news :eek: I'm VERY excited for us AT&T users now :) good for T-Mobile though. Someone had to take the first step.

Back