• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bell Canada users and Brazilian Users - Galaxy 7500L (notice the L)

doh, sorry i mean qpst, not qmat :)

qmat is the program by viper. qpst is the official QC tool. I got confused because i use both :)

You need to enable the debug port first:

- Type in on Phone: *#197328640#
- Go to menu 9, then menu 4, and then select option 1
- Restart Phone
- Go to settings > then option Applications > then Development
- Set USB Debugging to OFF and then set back to ON

Then launch qpst, and add the com port. Then start 'servivice programming' from the menu. There you can modify settings in the baseband

Upvote 0
BTW i suspect its settings in your nvram. If you could get someone with the old AMSS to read out their nvram and send u the file you could try to apply it to your phone.

IMPORTANT!!! please keep a backup of you're nvram in case something goes wrong.

You can use QMAT or QPST to read/write nvram entries. You will need to enable the debug interface as above first.

Upvote 0
Where to find the service programming code?

Default is all zero's and doesn't return any information.

Was unable to get my phone detected under windows 7 x64.
On winxp, I'm using SAMSUNG mobile modem diagnostic serial port (WDM), but it appears I cannot access any info without this code.

So far so good?

If someone with an original Bell AMSS were to attempt to help me... what does reading the NVRAM entail? Using QPST, reading the phone, then saving to file?

Upvote 0
I manoccs,

I also have a Samsung Galaxy from Bell. I unlocked it with Bell using part of the 200$ aircredit I had... so the 75$ for me was "free". How much did you pay to unlock on 3rd party (only curious).

I think the problem with the voice and the data is because the APNs. I tried a Fido SIM card and I had to configure all by myself. Can you see any APN configure for bell?

Regards,

Alan

Upvote 0
manoccs: Yes the SPN should be all zero's. If you dont see any band information then its not configured that way. Did you press 'read' on the service programming part of the program?

If you go to start clients in QPST there is a NV item Manager.

alanfisher85: Voice has nothing to do with APN's. APN's are the same as a 'default' gateway in IP terms. The phone just doesnt display a 3G symbol if it wasnt able to reach this gateway and 'login'. Voice will always works regardless of APN.

Upvote 0
Kam,
I'm able to read the service programming if I accept all 00000's in the service programming field.
95% of the fields are blank :thinking:

I've attached a zip which includes a dump of my service programming section, and another file named i7500L which is the NVRAM.

In the NVRAM, I see many fields with nv_wcdma_1900, but none with nv_wcdma_850 (which would be the other band Bell operates on). There are nv_gsm_850 fields, but Bell does not have a 2G GSM network.

Anyone out there with an unflashed Bell galaxy that could read/upload their NVRAM following Kam's instruction in the previous posts?

If this works.. it could save any Bell user that flashed international firmware!

Attachments

• QPSTfiles.zip
    28.4 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
Anyone out there with an unflashed Bell galaxy that could read/upload their NVRAM following Kam's instruction in the previous posts?

If this works.. it could save any Bell user that flashed international firmware!

Well I don't mind trying but I have a few questions first.

This is the procedure I'll follow..

1. Download QPST..

2. Enable the debug port
- Type in on Phone: *#197328640#
- Go to menu 9, then menu 4, and then select option 1
- Restart Phone
- Go to settings > then option Applications > then Development
- Set USB Debugging to OFF and then set back to ON

3. Launch qpst, and add the com port. Then start 'service programming' from the menu. There you can modify settings in the baseband

4. Use QPST NV item manager to download NVRAM and save to file.

Questions.
A. My phone is original off the shelf, will the above work?
B. Since I am only reading information do I need to make a backup of MY NVRAM?
C. OS available to me are Win7-x64 and Win7-x86. Will either matter?
D. What is the risk of bricking my phone and what can I do to minimize my risk.
E. Anything missing in my procedure above?

Upvote 0
Snazzy: First... thanks a lot for volunteering! I'll attempt to answer a few of your questions, but kam187 should be able to confirm.

3. Launch qpst, and add the com port. Then start 'service programming' from the menu. There you can modify settings in the baseband
--
Don't need to do this portion

Questions.
A. My phone is original off the shelf, will the above work?
--Hopefully it will work...don't think unlocking is necessary to read this information. Kam?
B. Since I am only reading information do I need to make a backup of MY NVRAM?
--The process of saving to file IS the backup.. just make sure not to click "write to phone"
C. OS available to me are Win7-x64 and Win7-x86. Will either matter?
--I used xp, but I would try win7-x86. Probably doesn't matter..
D. What is the risk of bricking my phone and what can I do to minimize my risk.
--Kam?
E. Anything missing in my procedure above?

Hope this helps. I'm sure Kam will chime in shortly to confirm.

Upvote 0
All sounds good to me. The default SPC code is always 0's even on locked phones. They only change them on CDMA phones because you could reprovision your phone using this tool!

There is a really new QPST which works totally in vista and windows7, but the older ones sometimes crash on start. Its no big deal tho. I havnt found the latest version :(

Upvote 0
All sounds good to me. The default SPC code is always 0's even on locked phones. They only change them on CDMA phones because you could reprovision your phone using this tool!

What is the SPC code for and do I need to enter it at some point?

There is a really new QPST which works totally in vista and windows7, but the older ones sometimes crash on start. Its no big deal tho. I havnt found the latest version :(

Do you know the version number of QPST, particularly the Win7 one?

Upvote 0
I installed QPSt on my Win7 x86 but the program group does not include a "add com port" application and I could not see this command in any of the programs installed. Attached is a screenshot of the programs installed, please advise.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
Ok mission accomplished I think. Which NV values did you need? The RF NV ITEM Manager produced thousands of NV values and the resulting QCN file is 265kb. I don't know if I want to upload the whole QCN, I'm worried that my phone will be cloned by everyone that reads this thread :)

If I got something wrong perhaps instruction here or we could meet on IRC?

Upvote 0
Hi!

If you browse the NV items, you'll see most of the RF ones are lower ones.

On GSM phones you can't clone someone else's phone with just NVitems so dont worry too much about that. The idea is probably to take a backup of all of yours, then upload 100 at a time to see when it works, then restore and upload just the last 100 etc etc. This way you'll identify the actual NVitem that is the issue.

You could also just upload all of them to see if it works, if not you know this wont work, if it does, restore you're and go with the first method of 100 at a time.

PS i'm pretty much online 24/7 on #behold2 and #i7500 on freenode (or click live chat above and /j #behold2 or /j #i7500). Just leave me a message if i'n not physically there.

Upvote 0
I've seen the Bell network 302-610 a few times when scanning... but I would say that it's only shown up 5-10% of the time. When I try to connect, it doesn't allow me to register.

Here's something interesting:
From the service menu... #*197328640*

...Under debug screen--phone control--GFC test mode --network mode--WCDMA band preference
I only see WCDMA 2100, 1700, 900 (None of which are the Bell/Rogers UMTS bands 850,1900)

Under GSM band preference
I see 900, 1800, 900/1800, 850, 1900, 850/1900

WTF!?

Is there any way to edit/add new values?

Snazzy, or anyone with an "off the shelf Bell galaxy:" please follow the steps above and post what your available WCDMA/GSM band preferences are.

Upvote 0
i've seen the bell network 302-610 a few times when scanning... But i would say that it's only shown up 5-10% of the time. When i try to connect, it doesn't allow me to register.

Here's something interesting:
From the service menu... #*197328640*

...under debug screen--phone control--gfc test mode --network mode--wcdma band preference
i only see wcdma 2100, 1700, 900 (none of which are the bell/rogers umts bands 850,1900)

under gsm band preference
i see 900, 1800, 900/1800, 850, 1900, 850/1900

wtf!?

Is there any way to edit/add new values?

Snazzy, or anyone with an "off the shelf bell galaxy:" please follow the steps above and post what your available wcdma/gsm band preferences are.

service mode
1 wcdma 850
2 wdcma 1900
3 wdcma imt 2000
4 wcdma only

1 gsm 850
2 gsm 1900
3 gsm 850/1900
4 gsm 900
5 gsm 1800
6 gsm 900/1800
7 gsm all

Upvote 0
CHMOD... thanks for the link.
All I was able to find through the Brazilian pages was the update to Italian II5 firmware. (Also the great fw update guide with BIG RED text advising to delete amss and cache.img from the tar before updating)

I guess I'm getting what I deserve for not being more thorough before attempting a FW upgrade...:mad:

Are there any Brazilian FW's available through FUS downloader?
...anything at all that might re-add the 850/1900 UMTS bands.

On another note... There's a new provider in Canada (Wind mobile) that supports the UMTS 1700 band. So, considering my phone with II5 displays UMTS 1700 do you think my phone will now work on this network?

I'm planning to head to a Wind kiosk this afternoon to test with a demo sim. I'll report back!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones