• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Benchmarking Question

Ninthwonder

How are you people getting Benchmarks of 140 or 150...? when I use SetCPU and check Benchmarks I come up with marks between 210-330.

Depends on how many GHz (or MHz) you have your processor OCed to. I'm currently OCed at 1.2GHz and my bench tops at about 170. I've gotten as low as 140 on Chevy's 1.25Ghz kernel, but that wasn't stable for me.

While I'm certainly no expert, I've found that my benches haven't directly lead to the most optimized phone performance. I'm using the Ultimate 4.0 ROM and it's by far the most responsive and buttery smooth one I've used, even though I've used several ROMs and kernels that have given me better benches.

my OC is 1.0 Petes BB v1.1 w/ Cheveys 1.25 Kernal

Only appsI have running are gmail... temp monitor... touiteur...google voice.. and smart keyboard....and gde

also only widget I have on my screen...in fact the only thing on my screen is beautiful smaller home

GDE and Touiteur will eat some resources. If you want the best possible bench you should close everything - but I prefer getting real world benchmarks myself, so I'd not be worried about those 140s and 150s - they are very very rarely real world.

St urge[Droid];491935 said:
i have a really still question. i understand that low benchmarking is better. What what exactly is benchmarking?

Low is better on some benchmarks, high better on others. Itg depends on what you are measuring. Benchmarks try to use objective criteria to measure speed, performance, quality, etc. As stated before, many times they have little relationship to real world performance. The benchmark usually performs a mathematical operation and simply times how long it takes. I would much rather have a smooth, stable system than the lowest (or highest) benchmark in the neighborhood. It's a fun tool but not the be all end all. Do I run benchmarks? Sure I do. But I judge my Roms kernels, and just about everything else by my own user experience.

I have to agree with the consensus here. I have had very good benchmarks with a 1.2GHz kernel and JIT enabled...didn't mean my phone was stable...johnlgalt can vouch for the same :) Right now, I am running a Low Voltage kernel on Cyanogen 5.0.5.3 and while my short bench times in SetCPU are around 180ms...my actual phone experience is lightning fast and very stable. THAT is the true benchmark. A number is just a number...how the ROM "actually" responds...that is how you gauge performance.

Back
Top Bottom