• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best buy atrix update

Just think though, why would at&t not sell one of the most sought after phones that was announced at CES in their COR stores before best buy? Why would they train thousands of employees on the device before the launch just to have them wait for a month or two after launch to sell it? Doesn't make sense, does it?

Though I do lean towards agreeing that it would be in AT&T's best interest to get this device to as many stores and retailers as possible, Best Buy could have definintely paid AT&T to gain the exclusive.

because there are more Best Buy stores than AT&T and in the end AT&T makes money either way

I don't know about your area, but in mine there are 2 AT&T corporate stores and 2 mall stores whereas only 1 Best Buy. I just hope that where ever they bring it first they have real phones and not just mockups! Best Buy and other 3rd party retailers don't always have real phones on display but AT&T stores always do. I'm guessing this is a big enough deal that they'll have the real phones out for demo either way though.

Aside: AT&T corporate stores do lose out a little by having the sale at a 3rd party, I was able to score a free microcell from the corporate store in December when I picked up an iphone 4 for my wife because Radioshack had special and although he couldn't match the discount on the iphone he could give me other stuff and didn't want to lose a sale :) (I think they get commission on phone sales)

Upvote 0
..Best Buy and other 3rd party retailers don't always have real phones on display but AT&T stores always do. I'm guessing this is a big enough deal that they'll have the real phones out for demo either way though.

This drives me the most insane when checking out a phone. You want me to buy? It sure as hell won't be because I got to hold a cheap plastic dummy phone. Let me play with EVERYTHING on the phone to see if it's me or not. If it is, you'll get the sale.

Upvote 0
This drives me the most insane when checking out a phone. You want me to buy? It sure as hell won't be because I got to hold a cheap plastic dummy phone. Let me play with EVERYTHING on the phone to see if it's me or not. If it is, you'll get the sale.

Yeah I absolutely agree. A mock-up doesn't do it justice.
I do think it is hilarious at the AT&T and Verizon stores when I look at phones, beucase I like to take the phone and squeeze it in my hand, slide the slider (if it has one) and just generally poke, prod, and bend the phone. The sale people alsways give me funny looks, I'm sorry but its the best way to get a feel for the build quality of a phone, sure the slider is supposed to go up and down, but is there a lot of slop in it, does it wiggle side to side? When you squeeze the phone a little does it feel solid or does it make a cheap plasticy creak? I don't go in there and G.I. Joe Kung-foo grip it, but I do like being able to hand on a phone before I buy it.

Upvote 0
because there are more Best Buy stores than AT&T and in the end AT&T makes money either way

I'm sure they aren't about to waste a great opportunity to sell the device in ALL of their outlets. Again, it's a matter of availability of a new high end device that's going to help shape this year for at&t. It's definitely a drawback for them to not let it be available in their COR stores on the launch day as well.

Upvote 0
I'm sure they aren't about to waste a great opportunity to sell the device in ALL of their outlets. Again, it's a matter of availability of a new high end device that's going to help shape this year for at&t. It's definitely a drawback for them to not let it be available in their COR stores on the launch day as well.

We will see. Its not like its unprescedented best buy has launched phones before carriers and had exclusives. Like the EVO shift and.the upcoming HTC thunderbolt

Upvote 0
In the past few months the only working phones I've seen at Best Buy have been the Nexus S and Dell Streak. I'll go play with the Atrix at AT&T then if I like it I'll go get it from Best Buy. I've always been annoyed that Best Buy hardly ever has working devices.

That's because Best Buy has to pay for the devices they want to display and it's extremely expensive to put one in every store so the only way they have live displays is if the manufacturer or carrier provides it or at the store discretion they decide to use one from inventory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones