• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big Changes at Android Forums

• PASSKEYS!
  • We're told we're Level 45... but of out of how many levels?
  • Updated trending content - maybe employ that (despicable) AI to keep the "upcoming devices" updated automatically
  • Updated CONTENT: clicking on "Best Tech" at the top shows content that was last updated at the end of last September

New Server.
New XF version.
Lots of breaky.
Now mostly fixxy.
What next? Hmm...

Here are some new improvements in Xenforo 2.3.2 that we can try to leverage on the site:
Anything look interesting to y'all?
What's is now missing, is the ability to be able to go right to the bottom page of a thread as before, the tab to the right for that option is no longer there 🤔

New Server.
New XF version.
Lots of breaky.
Now mostly fixxy.
What next? Hmm...

Here are some new improvements in Xenforo 2.3.2 that we can try to leverage on the site:
Anything look interesting to y'all?
Yeah great, but what we really need is the owner of the site ( you ) to be more present. This whole you show up every 3 or 4 months were you're all on board and then disappear routine is very frustrating. Either engage or sell the site and move on. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but sometimes things need to just be said.

Well, I kinda liked the way I had it before this remodeling job.
One button on my home screen and I was home to the safe place.
Had had it all figured out;
Perfect theme, only new posts show.

Now, pukey shade of some purple and I can't find where I'm going. At least give out maps.

Reactions: Rob
Yeah great, but what we really need is the owner of the site ( you ) to be more present. This whole you show up every 3 or 4 months were you're all on board and then disappear routine is very frustrating. Either engage or sell the site and move on. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but sometimes things need to just be said.

100% agree. I've got plenty of excuses, but I won't make them here, because ultimately you're right.

Well, I kinda liked the way I had it before this remodeling job.
One button on my home screen and I was home to the safe place.
Had had it all figured out;
Perfect theme, only new posts show.

I'm hoping to get the team who designed the last theme to update it for XF 2.3 but they're backed up with work. We'll see what they say.

I'm trying to rebuild it myself in the meantime, but obviously, I'm making simple style changes and not building advanced Add-ons. But that begs the question: what are the main links that you're hoping to see at the top of every page? I think I put the main ones back in place?

Looks like it's having an issue with mobile browsers, at least Firefox. I had to switch to desktop site mode to make it readable. That wasn't happening earlier today.
I'm making changes live... trying to find a happy medium while ultimately breaking a bunch of stuff in the process.

I got mobile working again but the header info is hiding. Trying to get that sorted.

Don't know if Rob is shutting the forum down to upload changes, or if the forum is randomly dying out from time to time. I've had 503 service unavailable messages.

If it's not Rob shutting the forum down, could there be a 3rd party stat counter or some other 3rd party script not loading causing the 503 messages

The 'new posts' tab isn't bringing up new posts, I have to click 'what's new' then 'new posts' to see them - but not necessarily all of them, some still don't show.
I agree that the "What's New" is not very intuitive as-is. Before the update we had an add-on called "Feeds" that was showing Hot / New Threads / New Posts / Etc... the developers haven't yet updated the add-on for this version of the forum, but I'm hoping to test their beta and have been in touch with them.

Now that we no longer have "Channels" for each device/app/game it's definitely more cumbersome to navigate the forums. Was initially planning to make "Featured Forums" for the biggest upcoming releases (Tesla Cybertruck, iPhone 23424225, etc) eventually dissolving them into the product category X months after launch. But even that seems like overkill until/unless we bring more people back.

Don't know if Rob is shutting the forum down to upload changes, or if the forum is randomly dying out from time to time. I've had 503 service unavailable messages.

If it's not Rob shutting the forum down, could there be a 3rd party stat counter or some other 3rd party script not loading causing the 503 messages
I've noticed the connection errors too, but I've been on Hospital Wi-Fi and in very stormy weather. I've also had problems loading other sites like SpeedTest.net... so assumed it was my connection and not the site.

If you and others are still having this issue, I'll need to dive deeper. Thanks for mentioning!

Back
Top Bottom