• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help bluetooth problem

~Reaper~

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.appfuzion.com
ok heres what i got

i bought a new car and it has bluetooth built into the radio so i paired my phone and it was working fine then after a few days it started disconnecting. i would reconnect just to have it disconnect like 20 seconds later. well i was scratching my head and started to try to diagnose the problem and what i found is when the phone connects to the radio i get an alert that asks for me to grant permission to access my captivates phone phone book so it can download the contacts and if i allow it bam the disconnect issue starts so i unpair the phone and then re pair it and do not grant access and bam it works great with the exception of i cannot voice dial due to not granting access to my phone book. well i thought maybe it was a compatibility issue with my radio. ok here is where it gets interesting. i own a hyundai and i work for a VW dealer. well i had a customer today that was having an issue that her phone was disconnecting from her radio on her new jetta. i took a look at her phone and sure enuff it was a captivate so i ran the test i unpaired her phone repaired and waited for the alert to ask for access to the phone book and i ignored it and sure enuff her phone was now staying connected so she was bery happy but stuck like me with no voice dialing. i did show her vlingo in a car which works but why is this phone doing that

really weird

Your phone disconnects from the Bluetooth of the car so it can reconnect using a different protocol and download the phonebook from your phone. If you let it complete the phonebook download your phone will be able to connect to the car's Bluetooth again using the phone connection instead of a data connection. Does your car manual not say anything about this?

I know this because I have a Pioneer aftermarket car stereo that asks if you want to download the phonebook after I pair a phone with it. When I confirm, it disconnects and then reconnects with a data connection, then my stereo shows the number of contacts increase until it is done downloading. It can take a minute or two to download. Once it is done, I exit the phonebook download screen and then on my phone manually connect to the stereo. After that initial connection it connects automatically from that point on.

Upvote 0
well i understand what you are saying but it just doesn't seem to work that way man with either mine or the girl i helped for example she could not even make a phone call without it disconnecting

you did give me an idea tho i think i will let it connect to the phone book and not pick remember to let it so it will connect once to download my phonebook then i will go back to ignoring it. do you think that will work ?

Upvote 0
sorry for posting in the wrong board

i tried to let it connect today and the same thing happened it just says downloading phonebook then disconnects after like 20 seconds then i reconnect and it says downloading phone book and then disconnects the only way to solve this was to un pair then repair the phone and not grant phonebook access. and it it works fine

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones