• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Working ROMS/MODS/KERNELS/MODEMS/ECT for the Boost S3

The modem flashes with the stock firmware. Also, make sure you use the newest version of Odin. It's v3.

Also, it takes a good while for Odin to flash the new firmware. I've heard of it taking up to 14 minutes. Make sure you have a full battery. ;) Don't get worried about it taking so long. I did because no one had said anything about how long it took. I just wanted to let you know ahead of time bro.

You'll flash either the stock Sprint or Boost firmware with Odin and let it reboot into the new stock ROM. You'll then boot back into download mode and use Odin to flash the newest version of Philz.

Just so you know, Knox is unavoidable.

I'm running the newest version of Wicked-X which updated yesterday and love it. If you flash it and MMS doesn't work just flash the Boost APN fix. That'll fix you up. ;)

Yeah I figured it's unavoidable so I'll just shut up and ride this Knox train on out lol

I might just use the boost stock rom then NDC

So step by step
1 download NDC stock rom(which gives me the Knox bootloader once flashed )
2 put phone into download mode
3 flash firmware with Odin
4 Let it boot up
5 boot back into download mode and flash philz
6 check out and see if I have mms and data if not just flash the 4G fix
7 thank everyone for helping me lol

I have this correct wetbicker right

8 Finally download wicked x and flash in philz

Upvote 0
Yeah I figured it's unavoidable so I'll just shut up and ride this Knox train on out lol

So step by step
4 Let it boot up

Hehe, this is kind one of those ironic moments for me HP, I was just pm'ing WB for a number step by step, I check in here and guess what I find, exactly what I was asking for lol. (Assuming these steps are correct that is).

I know you didn't know I was after that, but thanks still :D

Upvote 0

So step by step
4 Let it boot up

You should have MMS with all stock. If you plan on flashing Wicked-X I would just wait and flash the MMS fix after flashing the ROM.

Also, make sure you use the PDA slot with Odin. Your steps are correct.

This is the PM I sent Alpha2k lol

Read this thread for the Boost stock tar.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=53194487

This thread will help you flash Philz and the Stock odexed or deodexed ROM.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=53219958

Hehe, this is kind one of those ironic moments for me HP, I was just pm'ing WB for a number step by step, I check in here and guess what I find, exactly what I was asking for lol. (Assuming these steps are correct that is).

I know you didn't know I was after that, but thanks still :D

Good timing HUH? LOL! :D

Reactions: HiiiPowers
Upvote 0
It will definitely result in a brick.

Well that sucks but thanks man. I don't need to brick my phone. It would have been nice to try the modem first since my reception isn't all that good at home. I'm just stick to AOSP for Kit Kat for now. After all 4.5 or 5.0 is probably right around the corner anyway and we'll all be forgetting about TW again.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, if I say flashed the boost ndc and decided not to root, would the knox trigger still be in tact?

Of course rooting will trigger it, that's a given.

Not that I'm concerned about knox trigger really, I've had this phone for about 7 months so it's past the worry stage at this point, it's more out of curiosity/learning process.

Upvote 0
Well, guys, I got a big problem here.

While I finally have AOKP where it isn't crashing, and getting reasonably good battery life on top of it... I did find something that isn't working at all.

Namely, the GPS functionality of the phone is utterly broken. Maps doesn't work at all anymore, and considering my relative lack of knowledge of the area, that's a huge problem. Unfortunately the only app I could find that even attempts to address this won't work at all and just keeps timing out. So what are my options here?

Reactions: steelyus1
Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, if I say flashed the boost ndc and decided not to root, would the knox trigger still be in tact?

Of course rooting will trigger it, that's a given.

Not that I'm concerned about knox trigger really, I've had this phone for about 7 months so it's past the worry stage at this point, it's more out of curiosity/learning process.

I'm no expert on Knox but it should be as long as you don't flash Philz and leave stock completely intact. JD would be the person to get a for sure answer on that one.

Edit :
I'm not positive but pretty sure flashing the stock Boost tar via Odin and then leaving the phone alone should leave Knox untriggered. Just a guess though. I went into all this with the full intention of triggering Knox. After finding out I could still run LS and other AOSP based ROMS, Knox didn't matter to me anymore.

Upvote 0
I'm no expert on Knox but it should be as long as you don't flash Philz and leave stock completely intact. JD would be the person to get a for sure answer on that one.

I'm not positive but pretty sure flashing the stock Boost tar via Odin and then leaving the phone alone should leave Knox untriggered.

Interesting.

I am curious how close people have actually come to cracking knox.
Last I knew it was stated it was a software thing not an actual hardware thing. That brings up another question are they still working on knox at all, or have they just thrown I'm the towel?

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by wetbiker7<br />
I'm no expert on Knox but it should be as long as you don't flash Philz and leave stock completely intact. JD would be the person to get a for sure answer on that one. <br />
<br />
I'm not positive but pretty sure flashing the stock Boost tar via Odin and then leaving the phone alone should leave Knox untriggered.
<br />
<br />
Interesting. <br />
<br />
I am curious how close people have actually come to cracking knox. <br />
Last I knew it was stated it was a software thing not an actual hardware thing. That brings up another question are they still working on knox at all, or have they just thrown I'm the towel?

Not sure. I haven't read anything where it was still trying to be cracked. Several good Devs have tried and ended up bricking.

Upvote 0
Well, guys, I got a big problem here.

While I finally have AOKP where it isn't crashing, and getting reasonably good battery life on top of it... I did find something that isn't working at all.

Namely, the GPS functionality of the phone is utterly broken. Maps doesn't work at all anymore, and considering my relative lack of knowledge of the area, that's a huge problem. Unfortunately the only app I could find that even attempts to address this won't work at all and just keeps timing out. So what are my options here?

Try the app GPS Test. My GPS is working fine with AOKP 5-24 nightly.

Upvote 0
Well that sucks but thanks man. I don't need to brick my phone. It would have been nice to try the modem first since my reception isn't all that good at home. I'm just stick to AOSP for Kit Kat for now. After all 4.5 or 5.0 is probably right around the corner anyway and we'll all be forgetting about TW again.

Some people have said they didn't really see any difference between modems. Personally, I like the NDC Modem better. I've tried both and get better signal with NDC. Still running the ND8 bootloader though. :D

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
I'm charging my phone and downloading everything I need to flash NDC as we speak I'll keep you'll updated thanks again wetbicker for the links and alpha2k yeah I was just wondering how to do it because I need to get it out the way before I get too busy and never get around to it lol

Make sure you flash the tar FIRST if you plan on flashing my odex or deodex!

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
Ok I need confirmation on this.

I flashed back the 4.1.2 md7 tar file, (thanks goes to jdsingle for providing the file on xda forums), and am currently not rooted atm.......not a biggy I'm not in a real big hurry.
What the plans where is flash the tar, wait for an ota and decide whether to root or not or whatever.
This was this morning some time, so normally before when I did this I got an update notice quite quickly, within 4 hrs, so after about 6 hrs I decided to call boost. I asked why didn't a notice come through and was informed that boost/Sprint/virgin mobile pulled the 4.4 ota and are releasing a newer one this Monday. The reason they said was because people claimed they had no data after the ota update.

So now I'm curious, those of you who have taken the 4.4 ota be it Sprint or vm or boost, have any of you had data/internet issues after the update?

Upvote 0

I flashed back the 4.1.2 md7 tar file, (thanks goes to jdsingle for providing the file on xda forums), and am currently not rooted atm.......not a biggy I'm not in a real big hurry.
What the plans where is flash the tar, wait for an ota and decide whether to root or not or whatever.
This was this morning some time, so normally before when I did this I got an update notice quite quickly, within 4 hrs, so after about 6 hrs I decided to call boost. I asked why didn't a notice come through and was informed that boost/Sprint/virgin mobile pulled the 4.4 ota and are releasing a newer one this Monday. The reason they said was because people claimed they had no data after the ota update.

So now I'm curious, those of you who have taken the 4.4 ota be it Sprint or vm or boost, have any of you had data/internet issues after the update?

No issues here....If you want the 4.4.2, why wait for the ota? Why not just flash the tar I put up? :)

Upvote 0
Some people have said they didn't really see any difference between modems. Personally, I like the NDC Modem better. I've tried both and get better signal with NDC. Still running the ND8 bootloader though. :D

That's good to hear. My main concern is ending up having worse reception and no way to go back when my phone is currently working perfect.

That's interesting. I was browsing through posts on Boost's facebook page and there are quite a few unhappy campers making that exact claim.. took the OTA update and now either no data or 4G issues with the phone constantly switching back to 3G.

Upvote 0
That's good to hear. My main concern is ending up having worse reception and no way to go back when my phone is currently working perfect.

That's interesting. I was browsing through posts on Boost's facebook page and there are quite a few unhappy campers making that exact claim.. took the OTA update and now either no data or 4G issues with the phone constantly switching back to 3G.

Yeah. That's what the boost person said...... from what I gather it was pretty bad, so bad on fact he was saying he/they had to refer the boost customers to samsung themselves to get the issue resolved.

Reactions: wyelkins and mydian
Upvote 0
No issues here....If you want the 4.4.2, why wait for the ota? Why not just flash the tar I put up? :)

I know. I'm just being cautious is all. Hearing and seeing these bricks and more this data issue I just wanna be extra careful. In my particular situation (wb can attest to this) I don't have a pc/laptop nor do I have any acess to one, so in my particular instance I HAVE to be cautious as I don't have the luxury of having the safety net of apc or odin.
I have access at times but it's very very spuratic and limited to when I have access to it, such as today. .... the oppotunity just happened to be there.

If not for that I'd go for it all in, but sadly that's not the case. ....wb and Smith know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
Make sure you flash the tar FIRST if you plan on flashing my odex or deodex!

Everything went smoothly it didn't take to long to update

I flashed the stock ndc tar first then used the rom for a few did a profile and prl update then went back into download mode flashed philz then made a backup then flash wicked x thanks everyone for helping me with this and thank you jd for your work on the ndc and nd8 roms without you We would seriously be missing out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones