• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bootloader Unlock & Back to Stock for Motorola E4 Plus "owens"

Upvote 0
Separately, my phone now fails to install the March 2018 update. I'm afraid that I somehow reached a situation where there is an incoherent set of files on the device with attempting to re-install the stock over the January update.

Is there a comprehensive package (something like Samsung's ODIN) that recovers a bricked device?

Upvote 0
This link does not lead to a file. I found a couple of zip files on that side with XT1776 in the name, I will see what's in them. They do not mention Boost. I do not put a link here because I don't want to mislead anyone into using a wrong file.
Umm.. Hmm. :rolleyes: Try looking (with stock OS your device came with) at your Settings - About Phone, compare to available files and download the FW with same version # that matches your stock OS.. Always Read, read, read.. and then check, check, recheck and screenshot EVERYTHING that could possibly matter before flashing anything for just in case you must come back to stock OS
Separately, my phone now fails to install the March 2018 update. I'm afraid that I somehow reached a situation where there is an incoherent set of files on the device with attempting to re-install the stock over the January update.

Is there a comprehensive package (something like Samsung's ODIN) that recovers a bricked device?
No, we have fastboot. That is the purpose of fastboot, if you installed the exact same FW or the newest one for that specific device, you should be fine.

Edit: Boost Mobile specific devices, I would try -
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939833547

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Success!

My system was on NCRS26.58-44-3 having installed the January update from WiFi. The new files you posted were accepted and I was able to lock the bootloader!

One comment:
I followed the entire sequence in OP; no signature errors reported, but both "boot" and "recovery" got the result "(bootloader) Image signed with key bad key".
Then tried to re-lock using "fastboot oem lock". I had this exchange (I removed the recurring "not found" messages):
C:\OWENS_SPRINT_NCRS26.58-44-3>fastboot oem lock
(bootloader) WARNING: This command erases all user data.
(bootloader) Please re-run this command to continue.
OKAY [ 0.203s]
finished. total time: 0.208s
(bootloader) Flash valid Android images now
(bootloader) Then re-run this command to lock
OKAY [ 0.206s]
finished. total time: 0.206s
C:OWENS_SPRINT_NCRS26.58-44-3>fastboot oem lock
(bootloader) Still require signed boot.img
OKAY [ 0.188s]
finished. total time: 0.193s
C:OWENS_SPRINT_NCRS26.58-44-3>fastboot flash boot boot.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'boot' (16384 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.658s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.697s]
finished. total time: 1.365s
(bootloader) Still require signed system.img and/or oem.img
OKAY [ 0.197s]
finished. total time: 0.202s​
Given this broad hint from fastboot, I then re-sent the 6 chunks of system and 2 chunks of oem, just to be sure. After that I locked once more and all was well:
(bootloader) Lock complete! Flash signed images after reboot if needed
OKAY [ 0.349s]
finished. total time: 0.354s
C:\OWENS_SPRINT_NCRS26.58-44-3>fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
OKAY [ 0.172s]
finished. total time: 0.177s​
Full power off and on again, the system booted without "bad key"!

I strongly suspect that the flashing of everything (possibly except boot) initially was unnecessary. The optimal sequence is most likely to start with "fastboot oem fb_mode_set" and "fastboot oem lock" (the latter twice), then flash all the pieces, then the final "fastboot oem lock" and "fastboot oem fb_mode_clear".

I still need to get the device on the network and let in install the later updates from Boost, that would confirm completely that it's back to stock and lock (I suspect there is still a way to see that it had been unlocked).

Thanks again bcrichster!

Upvote 0
I followed your steps and got my phone unlocked but twrp wont flash. I get a screen which states bad key and in the command window it states image not signed or corrupt. If I boot the twrp image from cmd window twrp boots but hangs on the first screen and wont fully boot. any ideas?

You just didn't reboot recovery properly.. Follow my guide to a 'T' (even if it seems ridiculous) and I assure you, you'll be Str8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
noob question
I have a twrp backup of my stock and if I reflash that and run the fastboot command
  • fastboot oem lock
will I be able to get the latest OTA update on stock ? and TWRP would be gone and it would be completely back to stock ? or do I have to do all the above actually download the image ect..?

OK..
1st Q: No. And you won't need to lock bootloader for any stock updates
2nd Q: You need FULL Completely back to Stock but make sure you don't have July+ security updates or you'll need EXACTLY the same exact Stock FW as you were before Root/ROM. or you'll brick your device. I'm not sure what exactly happened in the newer updates but flashing ANY older FW is bricking devices. It's something to do with the gpt and Yes, I'm tripping cuz I dunno how to unbrick from that point except by reverting mine back to stock and possibly trying something I'm unfamiliar with to make an UnBrick.img I seen in XDA for the Moto E4 'perry' to save you guys.. Just found new method yesterday, here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mo...asy-sdcard-t3833408/post77439031#post77439031

If anyone else wants to try to make this image, feel free but I'm really not interested in updating my modems and stuff with the stock updates. Besides, some of my ROMs have August updates and I'll just run those

Upvote 0
That guy above.. shrekkk.. He asked me about his July update breaking his data, so I gave him an older modem (with warnings of reported brickings) and apparently the included gpt file (I believe) in .zip bricked his device.. Now I'm feeling like crap and have no way to fix that I know of, besides making that UnBrick.img... And I'm worried too cuz I dunno or understand what Moto did or why they done this like so

Upvote 0
thanks bchrister for all your help. Anyway, this is weird.

Apparently, the twitter account Motofirmware123 posted a new firmware for owens, but it is not listed on their list for e4 plus. I found it by reading their twitter posts on their July 21st, post.

https://twitter.com/MotoFirmware123

OWENS_USC_NPRS26.58-45-6_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

but here it is:

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528054969
It has helped me out and not I can receive updated, but for whatever reason I cannot lock my bootloader as fastboot says that the boot.img is not signed, or some silly error.

Upvote 0
thanks bchrister for all your help. Anyway, this is weird.

Apparently, the twitter account Motofirmware123 posted a new firmware for owens, but it is not listed on their list for e4 plus. I found it by reading their twitter posts on their July 21st, post.

https://twitter.com/MotoFirmware123

<span style='font-size:15px';>OWENS_USC_NPRS26.58-45-6_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip</span>

but here it is:

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528054969
It has helped me out and not I can receive updated, but for whatever reason I cannot lock my bootloader as fastboot says that the boot.img is not signed, or some silly error.

There's a serious error here.. All our updates were in NCRS26.58-44 to NCRS26.58-44-12 series, no 45's involved I could find. Also, Owens is supposed to be a Moto E4 Plus.. Not a G5 ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180911-212349.png
    Screenshot_20180911-212349.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 597
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
weird, but my owens e4plus from us cellular ate this stock rom like it was butter. only failure was the signed image problem. Then phone then managed to get the next sytstem phone updated to the next security level. (I have the blur-zip update if that helps anybody)
Thank you for pointing this FW out, if we can get all the appropriate verification with your assistance, the info can be added to the OP. Which update are you running, can ya send some screenshots (pwr + vol down) of the "about phone" section? I'd like to check it out.. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones