• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bootloop adb not authorized.

My nexus 7 is stuck in bootloop, apparently usb debugging isn't set (and it cant be because of bootloop) and in recovery mode all i get is an android with his hood open displaying a ! in a triangle.

1. 1st-gen 2012 or 2nd-gen 2013 Nexus 7?

2. What did you do, if anything, to cause the bootloop? I ask because that might help determine how to help you recover.

3. Are you rooted? (I'm guessing not, but need to ask)

4. Is your bootloader unlocked? If not, then if you have to use fastboot to flash anything, then you'll lose your user data.

5. You can likely re-flash just the /system partition to fix the bootloop and/or you can indeed flash a custom recovery if your bootloader is unlocked--it's a Nexus device, after all :).

1. 1st-gen 2012 or 2nd-gen 2013 Nexus 7?

Its the 2013 wifi.

2. What did you do, if anything, to cause the bootloop? I ask because that might help determine how to help you recover.

I updated from 5.## to the newest version with nrt, it booted fine but slow, I then used nrt so reinstall twrp and re root and it was in bootloop.

3. Are you rooted? (I'm guessing not, but need to ask)

I don't think so but maybe. I flashed the root in twrp, but I can't even get into tarp anymore.

4. Is your bootloader unlocked? If not, then if you have to use fastboot to flash anything, then you'll lose your user data.

Yes, its unlocked.

5. You can likely re-flash just the /system partition to fix the bootloop and/or you can indeed flash a custom recovery if your bootloader is unlocked--it's a Nexus device, after all

I would think so, but i cant get adb to di anything.
:)

I replied within the quotes to prevent some confusion.

(moderator edit: I edited the quoted part above to make it easier to read/review)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, thanks! I edited the quoted part of things above to make it easier to see your responses.

I'm guessing that by newest version, you mean Android 6.x (Marshmallow).

Since you've used Wug's NRT, I think I'd suggested re-flashing the stock ROM for 6.x and NOT doing the rooting part.

I saw another thread (yesterday?) where rooting 6.x from NRT didn't quite work--I'm guessing it's because NRT is not using the most current Chainfire root package, but I can't be sure (I don't use NRT--I do all that stuff manually, which you can do, too, but you have to have the tools (fastboot, proper TWRP recovery, proper factory images) downloaded and setup properly.

Get your device back up and working and then if you want, we should be able to lead you through rooting manually.

Ah, thanks! I edited the quoted part of things above to make it easier to see your responses.

I'm guessing that by newest version, you mean Android 6.x (Marshmallow).

Correct

Since you've used Wug's NRT, I think I'd suggested re-flashing the stock ROM for 6.x and NOT doing the rooting part.

I would, but NRT says that ADB has some kind of error because I haven't accepted the computer in USB debugging.

I saw another thread (yesterday?) where rooting 6.x from NRT didn't quite work--I'm guessing it's because NRT is not using the most current Chainfire root package, but I can't be sure (I don't use NRT--I do all that stuff manually, which you can do, too, but you have to have the tools (fastboot, proper TWRP recovery, proper factory images) downloaded and setup properly.

I have rooted and flashed ROMs with twrp before, I've even manually flashed recoveries before, but without adb I can't get twrp and without twrp I can't fix my situation.

Get your device back up and working and then if you want, we should be able to lead you through rooting manually.

If you could help me get twrp flashed on I can install paranoid android by myself. (My end goal)

Replied within the quote again, didn't know how to change the color.

Last edited:
Isn't there a "Soft-bricked/Bootloop" option / radio button underneath the Flash Stock + Unroot area in NRT?

I'm guessing that doesn't need adb since it really only requires fastboot to do that function. If it does, it should (I'm guessing) prompt you to put the device in fastboot/bootloader mode (Power down your device, and once off, press and hold the power button and the volume up and down buttons. After a second or two the Fastboot menu appears.) so that it can do it's magic.

Let's get you going with a working tablet first and then we'll tackle getting you root.

edit: by the way, you don't need adb to flash TWRP, you actually need fastboot :).

Isn't there a "Soft-bricked/Bootloop" option / radio button underneath the Flash Stock + Unroot area in NRT?

There is, it flashes up a prompt that it needs adb

I'm guessing that doesn't need adb since it really only requires fastboot to do that function. If it does, it should (I'm guessing) prompt you to put the device in fastboot/bootloader mode (Power down your device, and once off, press and hold the power button and the volume up and down buttons. After a second or two the Fastboot menu appears.) so that it can do it's magic.

There was an option like that, but once I put the device in boot loader mode (power and volume down) or recovery mode (power and volume up) nrt can't fine the device anymore. Might be drivers but I tried Google drivers, universal drivers, and the third option (forgot the name).

Let's get you going with a working tablet first and then we'll tackle getting you root.

edit: by the way, you don't need adb to flash TWRP, you actually need fastboot

If you can just work me through getting twrp I can get the rest done myself. I don't really remember how to setup and use fastboot

Last edited:
Well, TWRP in and of itself is not going to allow you to re-flash the factory image--you need fastboot for that.

So, here's how to get fastboot:

- download our mini-SDK if you don't have the fastboot utility already:

- see this post for details, but you basically want to extract it's contents to a folder on your PC, start-up a Windows Command Prompt window, and cd (change directory) to the folder where the fastboot.exe file lives​

Note, before looking at the notes/instructions below, have a peek at this thread first:

the notes below should reinforce the info in that thread​

To flash the most current factory image for your device

- download the 6.0.1 MMB29K factory image for your device:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/razor-mmb29k-factory-a39e7047.tgz
(it'll be a large download, as I'm sure you already know; this is from the Nexus Factory Images page)​
- extract the contents of that archive to a folder on your PC and navigate (cd) to the folder where the flash-all.bat file lives

- use Windows Explorer to copy the fastboot.exe file (referenced earlier) into the same folder where the flash-all.bat file lives

- assuming your device is in fastboot/bootloader mode and you have the fastboot.exe file in the same folder as the flash-all.bat file and your current directory is where these two files live, then you should be able to run the flash-all.bat file to start the restoration process

After you do the above, rooting will be a breeze...​
Again, you don't need this now, but here it is for later:

You can get TWRP for your device from here (again, not relevant for re-flashing a factory image):
- download https://dl.twrp.me/flo/twrp-2.8.7.0-flo.img
- copy that twrp-2.8.7.0-flo.img into the same folder where your fastboot.exe file live

- like I indicated, that's not really useful at this point, but at least you'll have it

- if you want to flash that custom recovery image to your device, do this:

- put your device into fastboot/bootloader mode
- type fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.0-flo.img
- use the hardware buttons in bootloader mode to start your newly-flashed recovery​

For when it's time to re-root, download this file from Chainfire's site:

Last edited:
Well, TWRP in and of itself is not going to allow you to re-flash the factory image--you need fastboot for that.

So, here's how to get fastboot:

- download our mini-SDK if you don't have the fastboot utility already:

- see this post for details, but you basically want to extract it's contents to a folder on your PC, start-up a Windows Command Prompt window, and cd (change directory) to the folder where the fastboot.exe file lives​

Note, before looking at the notes/instructions below, have a peek at this thread first:

the notes below should reinforce the info in that thread​

To flash the most current factory image for your device

- download the 6.0.1 MMB29K factory image for your device:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/razor-mmb29k-factory-a39e7047.tgz
(it'll be a large download, as I'm sure you already know; this is from the Nexus Factory Images page)​
- extract the contents of that archive to a folder on your PC and navigate (cd) to the folder where the flash-all.bat file lives

- use Windows Explorer to copy the fastboot.exe file (referenced earlier) into the same folder where the flash-all.bat file lives

- assuming your device is in fastboot/bootloader mode and you have the fastboot.exe file in the same folder as the flash-all.bat file and your current directory is where these two files live, then you should be able to run the flash-all.bat file to start the restoration process

After you do the above, rooting will be a breeze...​
Again, you don't need this now, but here it is for later:

You can get TWRP for your device from here (again, not relevant for re-flashing a factory image):
- download https://dl.twrp.me/flo/twrp-2.8.7.0-flo.img
- copy that twrp-2.8.7.0-flo.img into the same folder where your fastboot.exe file live

- like I indicated, that's not really useful at this point, but at least you'll have it

- if you want to flash that custom recovery image to your device, do this:

- put your device into fastboot/bootloader mode
- type fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.0-flo.img
- use the hardware buttons in bootloader mode to start your newly-flashed recovery​

For when it's time to re-root, download this file from Chainfire's site:
I did everything like you said untill the point where I ran the batch file (flash all.bat) and command prompt said waiting for device, I suspect this to be a driver error (though I have no idea), I am running windows 7 64bit (ultimate) and ran the universal adb drivers. Any advice?

I did everything like you said untill the point where I ran the batch file (flash all.bat) and command prompt said waiting for device, I suspect this to be a driver error (though I have no idea), I am running windows 7 64bit (ultimate) and ran the universal adb drivers. Any advice?

You're using fastboot in the flash-all.bat file, not adb, so, it's likely the fastboot USB drivers are your issue.

Try using the information / instructions listed in this page:

You must have had fastboot working before if you used Wug's NRT, so I'm a little confused why fastboot isn't working right away for you.

Also, in looking at the screenshot on the NRT page, it looks like there's a step/button called "Full Driver Installation Guide - Automatic + Manual" that I would think would/should install the proper drivers for you.

Verify that you've got fastboot connectivity via a fastboot devices command (it should report your device's serial #).

In fastboot mode I couldn't get windows to accept any drivers, after uninstalling all drivers for any android or google, I installed pda net drivers turn the device on (stuck in bootloop) plugged it in and got this https://imgur.com/lszTaHI . Does that mean anything to you?

Well, the Driver Software Installation window shows that the drivers were not successfully installed, so it's not a surprise that you're seeing "waiting for device" in the other window you have displayed.

You'll need to find and install some USB drivers for your PC that will allow a "fastboot devices" command to return something other than "waiting for device".

Unfortunately, that's the bane of using Windows with Android--the USB drivers :(.

Well, the Driver Software Installation window shows that the drivers were not successfully installed, so it's not a surprise that you're seeing "waiting for device" in the other window you have displayed.

You'll need to find and install some USB drivers for your PC that will allow a "fastboot devices" command to return something other than "waiting for device".

Unfortunately, that's the bane of using Windows with Android--the USB drivers :(.
Would a Ubuntu live CD do any help? If not I can probably find enough PC parts laying around to build a Linux compatible PC (not sure if I have any nvidia GPUs, and Linux hates amd drivers).

Yeah, if you can boot-up a CD-based Linux, that would probably do the trick, although I'm still very puzzled by the fact that you've used fastboot via NRT before...:confused:

You'd just need to be able to copy or access the factory image files and the fastboot-linux file.

See this post for details about running fastboot under Linux (although it sounds like you're already conversant about how you'd invoke fastboot via the a sudo ./fastboot-linux syntax).

I managed to get a live disk of ubuntu working, I downloaded the sdk mini and the factory image, but I haven't used linux for like a year, so a refresh on what to do would be nice. I have terminal open, but thats about it, (its not even in the right directory yet).

Ah, you should be able to start up a terminal session, cd to the download folder (make sure you've put the fastboot-linux file in the same folder) that contains the flash-all.sh script), and invoke the flash-all.sh script.

You should probably rename the fastboot-linux file to just "fastboot" so that the flash-all.sh script still work.

Additionally, adding the download folder to your PATH variable would also be a good idea

Something like this (don't type the purple text in parens, obviously :p) :

$ cd downloads/workdir (or whatever the name of the folder is where you put all the files)
$ mv -i fastboot-linux fastboot (rename the fastboot utility so the script works)
$ set PATH=$PATH:downloads/workdir (add download location to the PATH environment variable)
$ sudo ./flash-all.sh (invoke the flash-all.sh script)

If you have issues with the above, then examine the flash-all.sh script and manually invoke each of the fastboot commands, in order, and prefixed with the
sudo ./ string (you don't need to prefix the sleep commands):

$ cat flash-all.sh
(display the contents of this file)

Carefully examine the contents of the above and use that as a template to copy and paste those fastboot commands and prefix them with the
sudo ./ string:

$ sudo ./fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-04.05.img
$ sudo ./fastboot reboot-bootloader

$ sleep 5
$ sudo ./fastboot -w update image-razor-mmb29k.zip

Make sense?

edit: updated with exact commands from the flash-all.sh script

Last edited:
Ah, you should be able to start up a terminal session, cd to the download folder (make sure you've put the fastboot-linux file in the same folder) that contains the flash-all.sh script), and invoke the flash-all.sh script.

You should probably rename the fastboot-linux file to just "fastboot" so that the flash-all.sh script still work.

Additionally, adding the download folder to your PATH variable would also be a good idea

Something like this (don't type the purple text in parens, obviously :p) :

$ cd downloads/workdir (or whatever the name of the folder is where you put all the files)
$ mv -i fastboot-linux fastboot (rename the fastboot utility so the script works)
$ set PATH=$PATH:downloads/workdir (add download location to the PATH environment variable)
$ sudo ./flash-all.sh (invoke the flash-all.sh script)

If you have issues with the above, then examine the flash-all.sh script and manually invoke each of the fastboot commands, in order, and prefixed with the
sudo ./ string (you don't need to prefix the sleep commands):

$ cat flash-all.sh
(display the contents of this file)

Carefully examine the contents of the above and use that as a template to copy and paste those fastboot commands and prefix them with the
sudo ./ string:

$ sudo ./fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-04.05.img
$ sudo ./fastboot reboot-bootloader

$ sleep 5
$ sudo ./fastboot -w update image-razor-mmb29k.zip

Make sense?

edit: updated with exact commands from the flash-all.sh script
Ok so I followed those steps and have a functional device, but I still cant get fastboot to work on windows. I ended up cd'ing onto a folder on my desktop with the fastboot files and stock rom. I then ran these commands:
$ sudo fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-04.05.img
$ sudo fastboot reboot-bootloader

$ sleep 5
$ sudo fastboot -w update image-razor-mmb29k.zip

Now I'm running vanilla marsh mellow and vanilla recovery. I have TWRP in the same folder, what commands would I have to run to install TWRP? I tried sudo fastboot flash (TWRP's file name) and as of typing this I think what was missing was the word recovery... I'll be back with results.

Ok so I followed those steps and have a functional device, but I still cant get fastboot to work on windows. I ended up cd'ing onto a folder on my desktop with the fastboot files and stock rom. I then ran these commands:
$ sudo fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-04.05.img
$ sudo fastboot reboot-bootloader

$ sleep 5
$ sudo fastboot -w update image-razor-mmb29k.zip

Now I'm running vanilla marsh mellow and vanilla recovery. I have TWRP in the same folder, what commands would I have to run to install TWRP? I tried sudo fastboot flash (TWRP's file name) and as of typing this I think what was missing was the word recovery... I'll be back with results.

This did not solve the problem, I will paste the log below.

ryan@ryan-linux:~$ cd desktop
bash: cd: desktop: No such file or directory
ryan@ryan-linux:~$ cd Desktop
ryan@ryan-linux:~/Desktop$ cd sdk-tools
ryan@ryan-linux:~/Desktop/sdk-tools$ sudo fastboot devices
[sudo] password for ryan:
085636f8 fastboot
ryan@ryan-linux:~/Desktop/sdk-tools$ sudo fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.0-flo.img.md5
sending 'recovery' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.007s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: image is not a boot image)
finished. total time: 0.011s

Important thing to remember about Marshmallow is that You have to have a custom kernel to root the device. The standard kernel will not allow for root and it does cause a boot loop.

Yeah, it's the versions of Chainfire's UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and before that were created for non-6.x versions of Android that are not compatible with 6.x.

The boot loops are likely caused by the app_process32/64 file(s) that get's replaced during the rooting process and that are not compatible with 6.x.

It's not obvious that NRT automatically uses the most current (still beta) rooting packages or if you can specify one of the new ones yourself.

Anyway, I just realized that this thread was also still in the general rooting area--I've now moved it to the N7 (2013) root area.

Ryan, any update on your device's status for us?

Yeah, it's the versions of Chainfire's UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and before that were created for non-6.x versions of Android that are not compatible with 6.x.

The boot loops are likely caused by the app_process32/64 file(s) that get's replaced during the rooting process and that are not compatible with 6.x.

It's not obvious that NRT automatically uses the most current (still beta) rooting packages or if you can specify one of the new ones yourself.

Anyway, I just realized that this thread was also still in the general rooting area--I've now moved it to the N7 (2013) root area.

Ryan, any update on your device's status for us?
Sorry, but I got really busy, The link you provided me is an md5 file, so I am going to try and find it myself.
Edit: Found File, installed TWRP, I should be fine from here, nothing I haven't done before. However, I need to start a new thread for flashing a custom rom to my phone, and would like if you could help me make sure I don't mess it up. (its kinda a messed up deal).

Last edited:
Sorry, but I got really busy, The link you provided me is an md5 file, so I am going to try and find it myself.
Edit: Found File, installed TWRP, I should be fine from here, nothing I haven't done before. However, I need to start a new thread for flashing a custom rom to my phone, and would like if you could help me make sure I don't mess it up. (its kinda a messed up deal).

Ah, sorry about that...try either of these:

edit: doh! I see you said you did find it...those do look like the same links, so I'm not sure what the issue was, but the above should work for others that see this thread. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom