• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bootloop of Death on CM7..

Ibrick

Android Expert
So..

I woke up, bump charged and noticed my voltage was less than usual at 100%. Booted into recovery, wiped battery stats, rebooted phone, wont load. Just keeps going from white HTC screen to attempting the load ROM.

Pulled battery, booted to hboot, then recovery, got all the way to restore and about a half second after I hit restore it reboots.. shit.. :eek:

Now it's bootlooping, going between the HTC screen and recovery.

Not sure what happened, but this isn't good. This was on the 402w radio running CM7 RC6 with Imo's kernel.

Off to IRC to see if I can get it working. Not too hopeful at this point though..:(

oh snap! :eek: no,it doesnt sound good at all. had you done this: PLEASE READ: Information Gathering: Those who have Bricked and have not - xda-developers were you the same output as everyone or someting different?

i hope you dont try and flash a RUU before you can get hold of jcase and hopefully get them some more info on whats goin on.

that definately sucks... im sorry to hear it,for many reasons :(

definately keep us updated on this.

Perhaps someone with an account on xda can pm jcase this info with a link to this thread... Hint hint :)

I can't post there (never felt the need, a bit to pompous for my liking)

ibrick are you able to post on xda? have you gone to andirc chat and talked to anyone there? i can defiantely post or pm a link there if you need me to...

edit: left a link in the those that have bricked thread,and sent jcase a pm.

Well, phone is officially bricked..

Had a couple people helping in IRC, ran a script for a couple hours in ADB while the phone looped trying to pull the last command and couldn't find anything.

Best guess is overclocking frying the CPU on some early phones. And no I wasn't running crazy high with low voltages.

I have a new phone that will be at my door tomorrow or tues..

Oh, and radio's, ROM's, kernel's all seem to have nothing to do with the bricks. It could happen running any radio with any ROM.

Oh, and radio's, ROM's, kernel's all seem to have nothing to do with the bricks. It could happen running any radio with any ROM.

So has anyone seen if any nonroot users have bricked(I wanna know how widespread this is)

This is probably a stupid question, but Rexdog1888, how can a non-rooted user overclock the TB? I thought that was not possible without actually rooting.

Overclocking isn't necessarily what has caused them all, realistically probably a small portion of the total. It was just the best guess based on the build date of the phone and the trend of phones built within that time frame.

Overclocking isn't necessarily what has caused them all, realistically probably a small portion of the total. It was just the best guess based on the build date of the phone and the trend of phones built within that time frame.

Would you mind telling us what build date/ time frame it was?

GMB

well,it sucks your phone is fried. but many,many thanks for trying get something positive from it by providing the comunity with info from it. and of course thanks for updating us. :cool:

i for one,am a bit relieved. i dont want to brick any more than anyone,but at least if its gonna happen,its gonna happen no matter what rom or radio youre on.

the suspect early builds were last year,IIRC... november/december.

I'm trying to remember, so don't take this as 100%.

OC'd between 1.2-1.4. Again, from what I was told only maybe 10-12 of the 53 confirmed were overclocked, and that's a generous number..

I was able to erase the SD and get it back to S-on at least..

*edit*

Just went back and read the transcript, not as easy as I remember when I was trying to read, and mess with my phone and ADB all at the same time.. here's the portion, not sure if it helps at all. Nevermind what I said earlier in the post..

1[19:05] <+cadillac> ht11ys013963
[19:05] <@rhcp_> see hes a jan phone
[19:05] <@Chris> ohhhh
[19:05] <@Chris> well nooo
[19:05] <@Chris> he might be more then jan
[19:05] <@Chris> y man
[19:05] <@Chris> the y would but him into feb
[19:06] <@Chris> if we follow the code
[19:06] <@rhcp_> depends if he can read that little shit you said
[19:06] <@rhcp_> on the plastic
[19:06] <@Chris> haha
[19:06] <@Chris> true
[19:06] <@rhcp_> i cant find mine
[19:06] <@Chris> i told you it's damn near invisible
[19:06] <@Chris> I had to hunt for it
[19:06] <@Chris> if I had a cmera to use
[19:06] <@Chris> I'd send you a pic of where it is
[19:07] <@rhcp_> hmmmmmmm
[19:07] <@Chris> but if we follow the format of the decoder y would be 34
[19:07] <@Chris> which would be him into feburary
[19:07] <@rhcp_> so yea his is prob a early feb phone
[19:07] <@Chris> and you didn't say yet are most of the bricks between 2 and 4

uh oh... i am 5970 the build date on the battery cover is 11 01 05,indicating early january,for what thats worth...

maybe my days are numbered? :eek:

This is probably a stupid question, but Rexdog1888, how can a non-rooted user overclock the TB? I thought that was not possible without actually rooting.

I wasn't referring to overclocking specifically, just the number of bricks with diff roms and radios, i wanted to know if stock was effected.

Scotty what is the supposed "safe" build date?

Edit:where do u find the date, i know its on the batt cover but i dont know which #s it is

Scotty what is the supposed "safe" build date?

Edit:where do u find the date, i know its on the batt cover but i dont know which #s it is

If you read the portion of the transcript I posted it's not as easy as I was remembering as I was looking at the wrong number initially.

It's the number on the white sticker behind the battery starts with 'S/N' followed by your serial number which begins with 'HT'

How 'Y' on mine meant Feb, which translated to 34 is a little beyond me. I haven't gotten my HTC decoder ring yet. Maybe in the next box of Cinnamon Thunderbolt Crunch. :D

hmm, your right,lol... im not sure if that transcript helps us at all. tho i think im still in the same ballpark,at least according to the battery cover date... my s/n is HT126s005970 :eek::confused: womder how much cinimon TB crunch we gotta eat to find those decoders :D

also thot id mention you can find your serial number by typing adb devices in a command window... so ya dont have to turn it off and pull the battery :)

lil bit more info:
[INFO COLLECT] Brick / No brick Serial numbers - xda-developers

The decoding process:

HTYMDAABBBBB
HT = Vendor HTC
Y = Year (9 = 2009)
M = Month (hex 1...C = 1 - 12 months)
D = Day (hex 1...9A..Z = 1 - 31 days)
YY = Part Code -> S0 = Thunderbolt
ZZZZZ : Identification Number (decimal)

ibrick: ht11ys013963
scotty85: HT126s005970

so in the year,A=10,B=11,etc. on the day,A=10,B=11,etc

so this actually makes my phone build date very close to yours... you are month 1,day 34 (goofy) wich puts you about feb 3(31 days in january) . i am month 2,day 6 or feb 6 :eek:

what is the supposed "safe" build date?
unfortunately,no one knows for sure. id feel pretty good i think,if i were anything march or later. IDK if there is a window of early phones that are safe as well...

i think ima start practicing my call to VZW :D

Eh.. I wouldn't worry too much.

if it's gonna brick, it's gonna brick, not much you can do really. I'll probably end up with a phone built on Jan 33rd. Still gonna root and OC it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom