• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bootloop of Death on CM7..

Yikes mine is a January build. I think when mine bricks I will "lose" it and chalk up the $ for a replacement. That way I will have an extra battery, sd card and extra door.
Also I would rather stick it to the insurance company than big red :)

Did you have to pay the $90 for the insurance or were you able to pass it off as a manufacturer problem?

Did you have to pay the $90 for the insurance or were you able to pass it off as a manufacturer problem?
Ya im wondering that 2, i want to know how closly verizon really looks at phones people turn in for a replacement

They're replacing it as a manufacturers defect.

I have the added insurance, and if they would have asked me to pay the deductible, I would have. I just showed it to the guy at the VZW store and told him what the phone was doing, he pulled the battery and SIM card, same thing I did, and immediately got on the computer. A new one will be here either today, or more than likely tomorrow. Some people may say that's dishonest, although my thought is that this is a problem with a bad lot number more than anything I did. There has been one brick on a completely stock phone, so I'm thinking it would have happened regardless. Maybe I sped up the process, maybe not. Who knows..

I wiped the SDcard clean and downloaded the full MR1 RUU bringing it back to S-on.

It hasn't bricked yet. From what I understand they will be looking into it harder now. There was an article on droidlife a while back stating just that. If its rooted you will be charged full price.
To be safe if I couldn't unroot I'd file it on insurance.

Honestly, I don't think they care very much. VZW will just pass it off to HTC, so VZW isn't out anything.

RD:

I received an email from VZW on June 20. It offered the option to buy the insurance. See link in case you want to double down.

TOTAL EQUIPMENT COVERAGE
Get Verizon Wireless' Extended Warranty and Asurion's Wireless Phone Protection.
•
Comprehensive coverage*
•
As soon as next day Certified Like-New
replacement of same or comparable model
•
Mobile Recovery™ to help locate
and secure your device**
$6.99/month per device
$99 non-refundable deductible per approved claim

VERIZON EXTENDED WARRANTY
Basic coverage package that includes:
•
Mechanical and/or electrical defects after the manufacturer's warranty has expired
•
A Certified Like-New replacement
of the same or comparable model
$1.99/month per device

SS

Comprehensive Insurance and Post-Warranty for your Verizon Wireless Device

PS: Which insurance option is the best? 6 bucks a month seems steep.

i pay for the total equipment coverage. i think its worth it,considering it covers running over with the car,smashing with a hammer,dropping in the poor,and "losing" :eek:

$7x24 months is only$168,and if you make a claim,youre into it another $100. $268 is cheaper than $549 for a new phone :eek:

i tend to agree with ibrick... i think the bricks will happen regardless,and as faulty hardware they should be replaced. i think we are simply not hearing about stock bricks cause those people dont frequent the root forums ;)

It hasn't bricked yet. From what I understand they will be looking into it harder now. There was an article on droidlife a while back stating just that. If its rooted you will be charged full price.
To be safe if I couldn't unroot I'd file it on insurance.

i can absolutely see refusing a manufacturer warranty claim. but if i pay $7 a month for insurance,they better not refuse the claim... they better take my $100 and give me a new one. shouldnt matter wether it was dropped in a pool or rooted and fried,IMO.

i think they tried to cut some corners on a batch of these phones and are now paying the price.

i can absolutely see refusing a manufacturer warranty claim. but if i pay $7 a month for insurance,they better not refuse the claim... they better take my $100 and give me a new one. shouldnt matter wether it was dropped in a pool or rooted and fried,IMO.

i think they tried to cut some corners on a batch of these phones and are now paying the price.

I agree. Thats why I would try to unroot and do a warranty claim if possible. If I couldn't unroot I'd file it on insurance.

Btw don't think that because the in store rep looked at it and sent it off for replacement you are completely in the clear. The phone will be inspected by a vzw tech.
I know this because this is my second thunderbolt. They have up to six weeks to inspect it and come to a conclusion.

i pay for the total equipment coverage. i think its worth it,considering it covers running over with the car,smashing with a hammer,dropping in the poor,and "losing" :eek:

$7x24 months is only$168,and if you make a claim,youre into it another $100. $268 is cheaper than $549 for a new phone :eek:

i tend to agree with ibrick... i think the bricks will happen regardless,and as faulty hardware they should be replaced. i think we are simply not hearing about stock bricks cause those people dont frequent the root forums ;)

Same insurance I went with.

The factory warranty is 1yr and I have a 1yr contract, but after I started seeing smashed screens from drops I added it. Just extra protection, and worse comes to worse, $100 is better than $549..

I agree. Thats why I would try to unroot and do a warranty claim if possible. If I couldn't unroot I'd file it on insurance.

Btw don't think that because the in store rep looked at it and sent it off for replacement you are completely in the clear. The phone will be inspected by a vzw tech.
I know this because this is my second thunderbolt. They have up to six weeks to inspect it and come to a conclusion.

If that's what they come up with, I'll pay the $100 for the replacement. That being said, it wasn't like I was flashing a random radio or in the process of rooting when it bricked. I was using the radio that HTC and VZW pushed out.

HTC put the 1yr warranty on the phone, not VZW, while in that 1yr period, VZW passes the loss onto HTC.

HTC has made the statement they will continue to leave the bootloader un-encrypted and support development. I think their thought process is that will help drive additional sales and the profits will outweigh the potential for more warranty claims. JMO..

I truly think it would have happened regardless of what I did. If it were 100% stock, it may have lasted longer, maybe not, but eventually it would have given out. The more I look into it, the more I think it's a bad lot number and the CPU just fries sooner or later.

If that's what they come up with, I'll pay the $100 for the replacement. That being said, it wasn't like I was flashing a random radio or in the process of rooting when it bricked. I was using the radio that HTC and VZW pushed out.

HTC put the 1yr warranty on the phone, not VZW, while in that 1yr period, VZW passes the loss onto HTC.

HTC has made the statement they will continue to leave the bootloader un-encrypted and support development. I think their thought process is that will help drive additional sales and the profits will outweigh the potential for more warranty claims. JMO..

I truly think it would have happened regardless of what I did. If it were 100% stock, it may have lasted longer, maybe not, but eventually it would have given out. The more I look into it, the more I think it's a bad lot number and the CPU just fries sooner or later.

I'm not trying to harp on this but according to the article the phone will be inspected by vzw first. They will make the decision whether it's a user issue or a warranty issue. If determined that the device is rooted the user will pay the FULL price for the replacement phone.

Always try to unroot first.

I couldn't help but think, your user name is a bit ironic lol! ;)

Copied the article ( it's easier that way when using the phandroid app,so shoot me).

What exactly should happen if you were to root your phone, play around with ROMs/hacks/etc., somehow manage to break it, and then send it in to Verizon for a warranty replacement? Should you be allowed to get a replacement or not? According to reports, you can get a replacement, but the rooting of your phone voids any warranty you had and gives Verizon permission to charge you for a new one if they determine that your broken phone was tampered with.

Our buddy @P3droid has apparently heard from a couple of friends who have run into the scenario that we described above and then been slapped with a pretty hefty and unannounced bill. Fair or unfair?

I’ll just say this – we’ve known that rooting your device voids your warranty since well back in the original DROID days, so it makes sense that Verizon would do this. As unpopular as this may sound, I can’t fault Big Red for going this route. If you decide to take your phone out of its original factory status, tinker with its guts, and break something, it shouldn’t be their responsibility to take care of you.

With that said though, a broken volume rocker, faulty screen, etc. has nothing do with rooting, so I’d hate to see someone get charged for something that they didn’t cause even if they decided to root. It’s an interesting topic, and one that I would love to hear all your opinions on.

Copied the article ( it's easier that way when using the phandroid app,so shoot me).

What exactly should happen if you were to root your phone, play around with ROMs/hacks/etc., somehow manage to break it, and then send it in to Verizon for a warranty replacement? Should you be allowed to get a replacement or not? According to reports, you can get a replacement, but the rooting of your phone voids any warranty you had and gives Verizon permission to charge you for a new one if they determine that your broken phone was tampered with.

Our buddy @P3droid has apparently heard from a couple of friends who have run into the scenario that we described above and then been slapped with a pretty hefty and unannounced bill. Fair or unfair?

I’ll just say this – we’ve known that rooting your device voids your warranty since well back in the original DROID days, so it makes sense that Verizon would do this. As unpopular as this may sound, I can’t fault Big Red for going this route. If you decide to take your phone out of its original factory status, tinker with its guts, and break something, it shouldn’t be their responsibility to take care of you.

With that said though, a broken volume rocker, faulty screen, etc. has nothing do with rooting, so I’d hate to see someone get charged for something that they didn’t cause even if they decided to root. It’s an interesting topic, and one that I would love to hear all your opinions on.

You forgot to copy the most important part.

"Update: Our friends at Verizon saw this post and wanted to reach out to clarify everything immediately. First up, is the fact that their policy says absolutely nothing about checking for root on devices. When a phone is received, a phone is checked for three things and that definitely isn

You forgot to copy the most important part.

"Update: Our friends at Verizon saw this post and wanted to reach out to clarify everything immediately. First up, is the fact that their policy says absolutely nothing about checking for root on devices. When a phone is received, a phone is checked for three things and that definitely isn

Am i the only one here that got it at best Buy? I bought 3 TB with there $10 a month insurance on every phone and since i got the phones i have had to replace 2 of em. No deductable. Both have been rooted :)

New phone back up and running, rooted using the manual method this time.

Last time I used the version by captaintkrek.

Phone looks great surprisingly, not a thing wrong that I can see.

New S/N puts the build date April 16th.

*note

If anyone does need a replacement for whatever reason, they only send the phone in a brown box, no SIM, SD, battery, accessories, box, nothing. So no need to wipe the SD. It's a good thing I backed up the SD on my comp..

lil bit more info:
[INFO COLLECT] Brick / No brick Serial numbers - xda-developers

The decoding process:

HTYMDAABBBBB
HT = Vendor HTC
Y = Year (9 = 2009)
M = Month (hex 1...C = 1 - 12 months)
D = Day (hex 1...9A..Z = 1 - 31 days)
YY = Part Code -> S0 = Thunderbolt
ZZZZZ : Identification Number (decimal)

ibrick: ht11ys013963
scotty85: HT126s005970

so in the year,A=10,B=11,etc. on the day,A=10,B=11,etc

so this actually makes my phone build date very close to yours... you are month 1,day 34 (goofy) wich puts you about feb 3(31 days in january) . i am month 2,day 6 or feb 6 :eek:

well,my replacement phone is: HT12DS005506,or feb 13,2011 :mad: a week later than my other one,lol...

It is still a small percentage.. here's hoping you're phone was from a newer lot number..

And if not you still have till mid March until the manufacturers warranty is up. Or if the data issues continue.. third times the charm ;)

Serial number is in the phone identity screen: Settings/About phone/Phone identity. Gulp! I gave the same build date as ibrick.

Back
Top Bottom