• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can I root and keep the VZ Hotspot App?

dmunz

Well-Known Member
I know there are free tether apps for rooted phones, but I'm curious if it is possible to root and keep the official Verizon Hotspot app. Probably lots of raised eyebrows at that, but if I chose to pay for the service I want to be able to do so after rooting.

TIA
DLM
 
As far as I know the answer is no. You would need to install a 3rd party app. Although I have seen one custom rom that had a hacked version of the verizon hotspot app.
 
I know almost all the ROMs I've ever tried (basically every sense ROM) have a free WiFi tether app, Dad BAMF Roms have the hacked VZW app that PapaDroid is referring too. I am not certain, but I don't see why you wouldnt be able to manually install the .apk file for it. I'm sure someone here has it on their SD, or they can find a dl link for it
 
Idk about that. If you want to use vzw hotspot you'll hafta pay for it,rooted or unrooted. Use barnacle or wireless tether if you want free
 
If you're rooted there's no advantage of using the hotspot over Wireless Tether or one of the other 3rd party apps.
 
It may not even work, some VZW apps will only run on stock firmware or something close to stock. I am still unable to use VVM on an AOSP rom and I believe the NFL mobile app is not working on most AOSP roms. If you are really wanting to pay for the tethering pay for it and then use a 3rd party app. If you want to just tether for free then just use the 3rd party apps ;)
 
He doesn't want to tether for free. He pays for a service and wants to continue using it. My answer were based on the assumption he'd continue on a rooted stock rom(tho in retrospect I'm not sure why I assumed that). Yeahha is right it prolly will not work on aosp
 
Oh, I must have missed that he already pays for, my fault. If he wants to stay on AOSP there's no way to run it. Like yeahha said none of Verizon's app's working on AOSP. I'm assuming (you know what they say ;)) that it would work on stock rooted??
 
Oh, I must have missed that he already pays for, my fault. If he wants to stay on AOSP there's no way to run it. Like yeahha said none of Verizon's app's working on AOSP. I'm assuming (you know what they say ;)) that it would work on stock rooted??

Yeah they should work on stock rooted and *most* sense roms, I am not sure how far you can get away from stock and remain on sense before they stop working.
 
Back
Top Bottom