• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can Sluggishness and Battery life be fixed by 2.0?

but do you know who is getting the snapdragon processor?
not the droid. it's htc and when that badboy hit the streets watch all of droid owners have penis envy when it wipes the smirk off everyone of those droid fanboys. i just did not feel like waiting till next year to upgrade my phone.
I think it's already overrated. I'm happy with my Eris, and 2 weeks after the Passion comes out, another, better processor Android phone will come out.

Upvote 0
but do you know who is getting the snapdragon processor?
not the droid. it's htc and when that badboy hit the streets watch all of droid owners have penis envy when it wipes the smirk off everyone of those droid fanboys. i just did not feel like waiting till next year to upgrade my phone.
Yeah, seeing envious Droid users won't make me feel any better about MY phone. I'm gonna be just as envious.

Upvote 0
I think it's already overrated. I'm happy with my Eris, and 2 weeks after the Passion comes out, another, better processor Android phone will come out.

i'm happy with the eris too. just wish 2.0 came a little faster but knowing htc and how they do big updates it's worth the wait. they took months to get cupcake out but when it did nobody complained at all.

Upvote 0
Not to continue the argument, but the Moto Droid has a GPU to help it with processing attributes of the display which the Eris does not. The different architectures also make a big difference in the processing speed and ability; speed based on Mhz is not the whole picture.

I for one have the Eris and hate the time it takes to flip the display and process apps such as chompSMS. I really hope that the updates to come make the phone less sluggish primarily with regard to the virtual keyboard; I hate that I can't text as fast because the keyboard strokes lag behind my actual presses. The browser loading times also leave something to be desired.

Overall I love the phone however. It's amazing and I'm almost positive the updates to come will improve the phone dramatically. The battery life is something that I think for the most part we're stuck with, but most smartphones of this size with this many features will also suffer in this department. I'll take the current battery life versus paying more for a better battery or bulkier phone.
I truly, honestly don't know HOW everyone has lag issues with their Erises...I've had mine on for a week straight running all kinds of crap, and using Handcent SMS and I get NO lag at all. Oh well...

Upvote 0
Not to continue the argument, but the Moto Droid has a GPU to help it with processing attributes of the display which the Eris does not. The different architectures also make a big difference in the processing speed and ability; speed based on Mhz is not the whole picture.
Of course the Eris has a dedicated GPU WHICH FULLY accelerates 2D and 3D. Its part of the qualcom chipset.

Upvote 0
Of course the Eris has a dedicated GPU WHICH FULLY accelerates 2D and 3D. Its part of the qualcom chipset.

lol

no need to be hostile...he is right about the architectures and the difference it makes...and as far as the eris having a dedicated GPU....i have heard many other places that it does not, although you may be right....either way, CALM DOWN! :)

Upvote 0
lol

no need to be hostile...he is right about the architectures and the difference it makes...and as far as the eris having a dedicated GPU....i have heard many other places that it does not, although you may be right....either way, CALM DOWN! :)
yes it does. Its part of the qualcom chipset the Eris uses. Moto droid uses cpu and gpu from two different mfrs which is why people think its "special" for some reason.

Eris uses MSM7600A chipset.

Here are the specs of the dedicated GPU that it part of the MSM7600 chipset.

3D capabilities:
Blazing fast 3D graphics rivaling the best dedicated handheld gaming devices

Upvote 0
just to set the facts about what droid does and droid doesn't

droid does have a faster cpu by a whopping 22 mhz "i can see those ponies flying now LOL"
droid does have a better screen. but droid doesn't have a driver to make the screen work any better than the eris. "so no extra robust colors for you yet."
droid does have a flash for the camera. droid doesn't have an auto focus that work correctly. "wow great i have a 200 dollar flashligh WOOHOO!!"
droid doesn't have sense ui. which is the only reason droid does run faster than the eris in side by side tests with sense turned on.

Upvote 0
The Eris is a nice phone. No doubt about it.

However, I suggest that those claiming that the only difference between the processors used in the Eris and Droid is "only 22MHz" educate themselves a bit. Here, this will help:

AnandTech: The iPhone 3GS Hardware Exposed & Analyzed

nice iphone report but that's not the droid and the droid comes packed with a 550 mhz prosessor the eris comes with a 528 mhz processor. do the math 22 mhz differance. now neither the droid or eris run at it's full capacity either thier both capped just like the G1 is capped at 336 mhz even tho it has a 528 mhz processor.

Upvote 0
Look people, We have locked other threads and this will happen here as well.

bashing, name calling, unacceptable language are not allowed ... some Individuals have been warned, given infractions and temporarily banned...

Don't be one that we have to take action against ...

Respectful debate is possible ... If you choose to escalate a convo in a thread by violating the peace and enjoyment of others rather than just reporting the offending post ... just figure you will be receiving action from the staff.

one more post in this thread that violate respectful discussion will result in the thread being locked or deleted ... Fair warning to all !!

Upvote 0
I truly, honestly don't know HOW everyone has lag issues with their Erises...I've had mine on for a week straight running all kinds of crap, and using Handcent SMS and I get NO lag at all. Oh well...

I have lag in flipping the screen. Inputting text. Opening mail app. Dialing numbers.

I have cleaned cache. I have shut down tasks. I have run home. I have disabled dead apps from startup. I have used spare parts to change the screen animation speed.

The phone still gets lag. You must have gotten a "wonder phone".

Upvote 0
nice iphone report but that's not the droid and the droid comes packed with a 550 mhz prosessor the eris comes with a 528 mhz processor. do the math 22 mhz differance. now neither the droid or eris run at it's full capacity either thier both capped just like the G1 is capped at 336 mhz even tho it has a 528 mhz processor.

You missed the point.

The iPhone 3GS and the Moto Droid have almost exactly the same processor. The processor used in these devices is a newer, better performing processor than the one used in the HTC Eris. This is an indisputable fact.

Yes, there is only a 22MHz difference between the two. However, if both the Eris and the Droid were both running at the same clock speed (say maybe 528MHz), the Droid would still be faster because of the more efficient processor.

I don't know why people don't understand this unless they're being willfully obtuse or just want to be argumentative.

I had the Eris for three weeks and liked everything about it except that I found it unacceptably slow in pretty much everything. For goodness sake, even the phone dialer app is (in my opinion!) slow!

The Eris is *much* nicer than the Droid is swiping between home screens.

Upvote 0
We get the droid processor is better...but this is the Eris forum.
where WE KNOW the phone is just...BETTER.
Mod., this thread is basically dead. i vote for deading it.
though....it is some pretty good research in here.

You may understand that the processor is better, but there were people posting in this thread that obviously had no idea. My whole point was - the OP wanted to know if an update could make the Eris faster - I think that it can. A software update, however is not going to make it perform as fast the Droid due to the different processors. I saw people responding with misinformation, and I felt the need to correct that. This way if the OP wants to make a decision on whether or not he sticks with the Eris (or whatever he decides to do) he can make an educated decision on which phone is better for him.

That being said, I wouldn't disagree with the thread being closed.

Upvote 0
all mobile processors are based off of texas instruments patents. they own the moble market. not going add fuel the flames here. but no matter what you use TI has thier hand in it it's kinda funny aruging over i have an a8 and i have an arm11. both are great processors and disadvantages of thier own. what i did see is the recomended clock speed for the 550 a8 is 500 mhz which in sub part of the same page i looked at says it's actually 360 mhz at 1.5v now clocking the a8 to 550 will give you 400 mhz at 1.58 volts thats a nice jump in power. now the max clock speed which is not recomended at all is 600 mhz and i think that was rated at 460 mhz but at this point your clocking way past safe limits. with the arm11 it runs into the same brick wall of posted clock speeds and actual clock speeds are way different if you look it up. it's like they design a processor and say hey it's a 528 mhz processor but you'll only be using 336 mhz of processing power due limitations in hardware. then we come in with the 528 v 550 stuff and we're not even seeing those numbers at all. it's a big lie. i wonder what the actual clock speeds the snap dragon will get. what maybe 800 mhz max if the thing don't blow up in your hands. boy do we get the perverbial shaft. i think mobile processing due to heat xfer will be the down fall of the smartphone tech ever seeing actual pc rated numbers and always be second best and third rate. TI got in trouble a while ago for price fixing in the mobile market with thier non compete back room agreements. don't think this is a jab at the droid i'm just posting what i found and the numbers are awful compiared to what the phone makers claim. the a8 never gets past 500 mhz in super overclock mode and it's the same with the arm11 only a 30 mhz differance. at that piont both phones becomes unstable and impossible to use. just saying again we all got lied to.

Upvote 0
all mobile processors are based off of texas instruments patents. they own the moble market. not going add fuel the flames here. but no matter what you use TI has thier hand in it it's kinda funny aruging over i have an a8 and i have an arm11. both are great processors and disadvantages of thier own. what i did see is the recomended clock speed for the 550 a8 is 500 mhz which in sub part of the same page i looked at says it's actually 360 mhz at 1.5v now clocking the a8 to 550 will give you 400 mhz at 1.58 volts thats a nice jump in power. now the max clock speed which is not recomended at all is 600 mhz and i think that was rated at 460 mhz but at this point your clocking way past safe limits. with the arm11 it runs into the same brick wall of posted clock speeds and actual clock speeds are way different if you look it up. it's like they design a processor and say hey it's a 528 mhz processor but you'll only be using 336 mhz of processing power due limitations in hardware. then we come in with the 528 v 550 stuff and we're not even seeing those numbers at all. it's a big lie. i wonder what the actual clock speeds the snap dragon will get. what maybe 800 mhz max if the thing don't blow up in your hands. boy do we get the perverbial shaft. i think mobile processing due to heat xfer will be the down fall of the smartphone tech ever seeing actual pc rated numbers and always be second best and third rate. TI got in trouble a while ago for price fixing in the mobile market with thier non compete back room agreements. don't think this is a jab at the droid i'm just posting what i found and the numbers are awful compiared to what the phone makers claim. the a8 never gets past 500 mhz in super overclock mode and it's the same with the arm11 only a 30 mhz differance. at that piont both phones becomes unstable and impossible to use. just saying again we all got lied to.

agreed. nice post.

Upvote 0
I will unlock this thread in 3 days ...

Hopefully this will allow you all to chill ...

If you start another thread re: the same subject ... it will be locked or deleted ..

Looks like at least one poster could NOT take the warning i posted in the thread ,,, and choose to be disrespectful ...

I have no problem banning people that want to try to upset this community or deleting the thread ... even if good information is here ...

Please Heed this warning !!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones