• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot boot into stock recovery

I received an OTA update, however, it is continually failing upon reboot. I discovered that I can't get my RAZR M into recovery.

I would flash TWRP, however, I then no longer receive OTA updates.

Is it possible that I may have 'locked' myself out of recovery?

My M is rooted, though I've been able to get to recovery previously. Do I need to perm unroot my M?

Is it possible to re-flash stock recovery? If so, how?

My RAZR M:
Stock ROM, rooted
Stock recovery
BusyBox 1.21.1
SuperSu
Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper

I moved your thread to the sub-forum where root-related issues with your phone are discussed.

... Thom
Okay, Thom, though I presume you feel this is a root-related problem, because I don't know. I can't boot into recovery, though not certain if that has anything to do with root.

Thom moved it to the all things root section because you mentioned flashing a custom recovery on your phone. So . . . .

To boot into recovery (any) power off your phone, then while holding both the volume up and volume down keys press and hold the power button.

This will boot your phone into a state where you can select a few different boot things. Use the volume down button to navigate and the volume up key to select. If you wait too long, your phone will try to boot normally.

Now, I'd like to ask a question or two. Have you ever unlocked the bootloader? As that is the only way you can flash a custom recovery to your phone. If not, what is your system build number?

Thanks @Teddy
To boot into recovery (any) power off your phone, then while holding both the volume up and volume down keys press and hold the power button.
I know the procedure, it just doesn't go into recovery...it presents the dead droid icon.

Now, I'd like to ask a question or two. Have you ever unlocked the bootloader? As that is the only way you can flash a custom recovery to your phone. If not, what is your system build number?
I have not, knowingly, unlocked my bootloader.

System build: 9.8.1Q-78

I thought the dead droid icon was the stock recovery. Forgive me, but it's been years since I laid eyes on the stock recovery screen.

Now if you haven't unlocked your bootloader on that build you will never be able to, so flashing any custom recovery will fail. You _might_ be able to flash stock recovery.

As for getting your phone to take the latest OTA, why? Do you want to lose root possibly forever as I don't see allot more development on rooting this phone with this latest update. But if you insist, try getting rid of that Voodoo app and see if that fixes it.

good luck

I thought the dead droid icon was the stock recovery. Forgive me, but it's been years since I laid eyes on the stock recovery screen.
You are correct, as this is a stock recovery-related issue, as my title indicates :-).

Now if you haven't unlocked your bootloader on that build you will never be able to, so flashing any custom recovery will fail.
Are you saying I never will be able to unlock my bootloader, or that I can't install a custom recovery until I do so?

You _might_ be able to flash stock recovery.
That was actually one of my original questions. I have attempted a search for an answer, though can't find specific instructions on doing so. I've found instructions on flashing custom recovery. Maybe it's the same process and I just need to get a hold of the stock recovery? Point in the right direction would help.

As for getting your phone to take the latest OTA, why? Do you want to lose root possibly forever
OTA's have the latest security updates...don't I want those? Losing root forever? I thought that even with the 4.3 update, one can install SuperSU via recovery and therefor, have root again?

As an fyi, I have no interest in flashing a complete custom ROM...not interested in investing in the learning curve, etc.

Are you saying I never will be able to unlock my bootloader, or that I can't install a custom recovery until I do so?

Actually both. You cannot flash a true custom recovery on any Android phone if the bootloader is locked. And with the software version on your phone, the bootloader unlock exploit is closed, unless you have a developer device.

That was actually one of my original questions. I have attempted a search for an answer, though can't find specific instructions on doing so. I've found instructions on flashing custom recovery. Maybe it's the same process and I just need to get a hold of the stock recovery? Point in the right direction would help.

argedion gave you a link, here's one to the more current version:

DROID RAZR M Utility 1.20 --- Windows/Mac/Linux - VZW Droid Razr M Development [XT907] - DroidRzr.com

That utility is pretty cool, as it has the proper drivers and everything. Follow the instructions in the post.

<snip>Losing root forever? I thought that even with the 4.3 update, one can install SuperSU via recovery and therefor, have root again?

Well, there hasn't been a root exploit found for the latest update. As for any 4.3 OTA update for the XT907, doubt it's going to happen. You are confusing the custom ROM's now with OTA.

If I remember correctly, I thought when presented with the dead droid, you press volume up to get into stock recovery?

Note: Outside of this problem thread, I have had no other issues with my phone.

I can't get the phone into recovery mode, regardless of what I try, and recommendations herein, including pressing vol-up key with dead droid. I believe my stock recovery is corrupted.

In an effort to re-flash stock recovery via the DROID RAZR M Utility process, I can't get my phone connected with my PC in fastboot mode. My phone and PC connect fine with phone on. However, my PC does not recognize my phone in fastboot mode.

When using the 'adb devices' command, my device is listed with the phone on, however, nothing in fastboot mode.

I have the USB drivers installed, and there's no issues shown in PC Device Manager.

Results...I can't boot into stock recovery mode and my attempts to re-flash stock recovery have so-far, failed.

Hmmm, this is really an interesting case. I don't know if I've ever head of a device whose recovery system has become totally corrupted.

I was going to post for more help, but while doing so, I found this thread. Read from about post #4 on down:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...-root-method-corrupted-my-stock-recovery.html

It seems as though the dead droid is normal, but unless there's anything for stock recovery to do, you cannot 'boot' into it beyond that symbol.

good luck

It seems as though the dead droid is normal, but unless there's anything for stock recovery to do, you cannot 'boot' into it beyond that symbol.
Yeah, I don't think that is correct. I'm pretty certain that booting to the stock recovery previously presented me with admin options, i.e. wiping phone, clear cache, and most importantly for my immediate needs, install/flash updates. This is why my OTA is not succeeding...it can't boot to recovery to install the update. Also, what would be the point of booting into recovery if you couldn't use it? Additionally, if I let it sit with the dead droid icon, the phone reboots normally after a minute or so.

Which method did you use when you rooted?

Is fastboot on your device? We could push a new stock recovery on your device as to repair it and remove the corrupted old one.

I think your stock recovery is ok. When you get to the droid laying down with the !, try pressing both volume up and volume down to access recovery options. If stock recovery was not present, I believe the phone would only boot into a bootloader mode or straight to fastboot mode, etc.

If you cannot receive an OTA, I'm guessing your problem is that you used root at some point to alter the stock configuration.

when you see the "dead droid" press volume up and down at the same time...you should then see the recovery options...

Ahh yes, you have to push both. . . I thought it was just one. Shows how long it's been since played with stock recovery. Or did I ever . . . . . ?

when you see the "dead droid" press volume up and down at the same time...you should then see the recovery options...
Thank you, this got me into recovery; I don't recall this step previously.

However, I'm still having difficulty with the OTA update...it keeps failing. I have not had any issues with previous updates, so I'm at a loss as to the issue.

Is there a log somewhere showing the failed update install steps and what may be causing the failure?

Maybe I need to unroot first, though I don't recall having to do that previously either. I did find a method to root my present JB version, but a bit concerned about it not working and having to totally wipe my phone, etc.

If you are still not receiving the OTA, you will likely have to reflash stock to your device. Something has likely been altered in your system files that is disallowing the OTA to apply itself. And you're correct, that would totally wipe your phone.

The other option would be to install a custom recovery and then flash a stock, rooted rom.

You could also try deleting the file, as it could have gotten corrupted during download. I _think_ it would be in /data/cache or just plain /cache. If nothing else, I believe a factory data reset would also wipe that, but not root. Taking the update will kill root and there is no new exploit found yet for the latest update.

I do not believe you can flash back to stock with RSD Lite as your bootloader has to be unlocked for that. And you cannot flash a custom recovery either since your bootloader is locked.

good luck

If you removed or froze ANY of the original software from the phone, the OTA will fail. It has to be 100% stock to take the OTA.

Also, the wealth of misinformation you have received on this issue is appalling. I would strongly suggest googling House of Moto and checking out the M forum on droidrazr.com.

Pathetic! If you're going to give the guy advice, guys, you ought to at least know something about the phone.

BTW, according to Motorola, the M will be getting KitKat.

Thanks @[FONT=&quot]netizenmt; I'll check out [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]House of Moto[/FONT].

Am I to assume that if I defrost those Apps I froze, and so long as I didn't delete any App or system file, the OTA should then work?[/FONT]

Here is a link to House of Moto:

SamuriHL's House Of Moto - DroidRzr.com

As far as the rest of your question, from my limited knowledge of this phone, I'll say yes.

In my defence, I bought one of these devices and rooted and unlocked the bootloader just as soon as it was fully charged, so I really am shooting in the dark about using stock recovery.

Also, the wealth of misinformation you have received on this issue is appalling. I would strongly suggest googling House of Moto and checking out the M forum on droidrazr.com.

Pathetic! If you're going to give the guy advice, guys, you ought to at least know something about the phone.

So after further review of this quoted post and the link that I provided (and everything contained within said link) and my personal knowledge of Android bootloader unlocked phones; I still feel the need to respond to this post.

I do not discount SamuriHL's work and contribution to create his House of Moto script's. They are or can be invaluable to some users.

However, for the most part we here try to go beyond the "one-click-root" or easy way and try to help a user on a lower level than using someone else's (albiet well written) script or even well written .bat file to see what is really going on with a problem a user might be having with their phone.

The reason we do so is that sometimes (a lot of times) the 'script' becomes outdated almost as soon as it is written; as noted in the House of Moto thread over at droidrzr.com. Well, not quite, there are instructions to modify the script to your needs.

And just in case, I will report this post to make sure that the mods at this site do not find it out of line.

for you and the readers, good luck

Back
Top Bottom