• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't remove Gmail account??

automagrt

Jul 19, 2010
So my primary computer crashed and I had to reinstall all my programs and restore files from a backup. I had been syncing my Outlook calendar with my Gmail account using Google Calendar Sync which would then sync with my Captivate. When I reinstalled Outlook and synced with Gmail, it created duplicates of all my appointments. The only way to fix this was to delete all my appointments in Gmail and resync. Unfortunately, it didn't remove the duplicates from my phone. In fact, I have triplicates of many appointments. I thought I could just remove the Gmail account from my phone and add it back. Nope, my phone says that it's required by some programs and can only be removed through a factory reset. I thought that maybe I had to have a Gmail account on the phone for it to work so I added another one. I then attempted to delete the original. Nope, still wouldn't let me. Since that wasn't the problem I tried to delete the newly added account. Nope, no can do. So am I understanding correctly that there is no way to remove an account once it's been added without doing a factory reset?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones