• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Is it dangerous to flash too many times?

phan9998

I have the Evo 3d, I've flashed most every Rom and restored a lot. Sitting between 50-60 wipes. Could you please explain to me if there's 'danger' in too many flashes?

I have the Evo 3d, I've flashed most every Rom and restored a lot. Sitting between 50-60 wipes. Could you please explain to me if there's 'danger' in too many flashes?

I have never heard of any dangers from wiping and flashing too much, and I've never had any issues, so my opinion would be to say don't worry about it. I personally never have worried about it.

Curious what others have to say about this.

On some Samsung phones there's a risk of wiping things like your IMEI, so the more flashes the more likely it is occurring.

However, I know when I was back on my EVO 4G we had some real "flashaholics" and they never had issues.

I agree with Brian, there's not really a point of no return so to speak where it gets dangerous

Never wiped IMEI, but data profile was reset(wiped) once after flashing a radio on incompatible firmware
I cried, and then got angry, updating profile wouldn't work, had to go on service provider's website n redo the mug, updated profile, n then I smiled:)

flashing roms in a custom recovery only writes to the boot and system partitions,so there is no danger of accidentally overwriting something important,as long as your flashing roms intended for that device. ;)

"good" flashes shouldnt hurt,no matter how many you do. bad falshes (from an incomplete download,for example) could hurt memory blocks,wich can have an effect if you get enuff bad ones for there to no longer be room for a rom :eek:

that said, i would repeat what the others have- dont worry about wearing out your flash memory,just make sure you flash only complete,working downloads by comparing md5 sums and only using roms from reliable sources.

if youre s off,parts of the phone that do not live in flash memory(like the radio) are destroyed by bad flashes,possibly unrecoverably,so use extreme caution what you flash via the bootloader,i personally do not like to mess with hboot,radios,and other firmware any more than neccessary :)

Back
Top Bottom