• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] TWRP four THUMBS UP!!!

Wipe everything only wipes /cache and /data (which wipes dalvik in the process). In TWRP, you can tell it to format /system, as well, to make sure the /system partition is completely clean, too. But most ROMs do this automatically, anyways.

Thanks! I thought I had wiped it correctly. I'm going to try the way you suggested. I also thought I would wipe it out of root by doing it your way...

I know..Crazy but just being careful.lol Took me a good min to root this bad boy. Not risking it!
 
Yea the dev specified to format system. So either his Ron didn't do it or he wants it really clean. LOL

Must have been ViperROM. He didn't put format /system in there because he was testing by flashing over his own ROM. I guess he just forgot to put the format /system command back in.

Thanks! I thought I had wiped it correctly. I'm going to try the way you suggested. I also thought I would wipe it out of root by doing it your way...

I know..Crazy but just being careful.lol Took me a good min to root this bad boy. Not risking it!

No, once you're S-OFF (or S-ON unlocked via HTC), you'll always be rooted. Unless you take an update that sets you as S-ON Locked. With the bootloader that allows you to flash any ROM, you can just easily reflash something with SuperUser and be rooted again.
 
The Nandroid backup compression feature intrigues me. How much extra time does that usually add to a Nandroid backup creation and how much space does it save on average?

I also noticed that there does not seem to be specific mentions for formatting boot, cache, and data, but there is one for system I think. I always formatted boot, cache, data, and system with ClockworkMod Recovery before flashing a new ROM.
 
The Nandroid backup compression feature intrigues me. How much extra time does that usually add to a Nandroid backup creation and how much space does it save on average?

I also noticed that there does not seem to be specific mentions for formatting boot, cache, and data, but there is one for system I think. I always formatted boot, cache, data, and system with ClockworkMod Recovery before flashing a new ROM.

format boot is in the advanced menu along with system data, SD , SD ext, ect. I was intrugued by the compression option also. The only reason I haven't tried it is because I've been so happy with the ROM I'm running I haven't been flashing anything. Which isn't like me LOL. Normally ii might flash one a day just to see what they are like. I'm trying to be easy on this phone I guess. If I had to guess i would say it would probably double the time to backup. This recovery is pretty fast when it comes to backups . I think I might give it a go now it will give me sonething to do LOL . I'll let you know how ling it takes.
 
format boot is in the advanced menu along with system data, SD , SD ext, ect. I was intrugued by the compression option also. The only reason I haven't tried it is because I've been so happy with the ROM I'm running I haven't been flashing anything. Which isn't like me LOL. Normally ii might flash one a day just to see what they are like. I'm trying to be easy on this phone I guess. If I had to guess i would say it would probably double the time to backup. This recovery is pretty fast when it comes to backups . I think I might give it a go now it will give me sonething to do LOL . I'll let you know how ling it takes.

I would love to know how long it took. If you could, and I know this is asking a lot, but would you be able to compare the size with and without compression? ;)

I am thinking about flashing over to TWRP Recovery and giving it a whirl myself this weekend. I look forward to your reply. :D
 
I would love to know how long it took. If you could, and I know this is asking a lot, but would you be able to compare the size with and without compression? ;)

I am thinking about flashing over to TWRP Recovery and giving it a whirl myself this weekend. I look forward to your reply. :D


It backed up a total of 581mb in 1080 seconds which was about 15 minutes. I didn't pay attention after the system backup but before compression the system alone was 689mb. I'm sure the data had to be a few hundred I got a lot of apps and pics. So a rough estimate would be it cuts the size a little less than a half.
 
Couldn't take a screenshot while in Recovery but did take this pic of the main menu. It is all touchscreen and very user friendly.

IMG_20111218_122848.jpg
 
Flashed the recovery earlier. Super user friendly however i think the toch screen mght be too good. I was flashing a rom to try it out and while it was flashing i had to pick my phone up and move it cuase my daughter was trying to get it. Well somehow i must of hit somthing that stopped the flash so when i went back to phone after a few mintes and hit reboot there was nothing since i did a full wipe it went to a sprint 3d image and just stayed, and stayed. well once i pulled battery and rebooted into recovery and reflashed it went fine and actually took me to a menu that showed the flash did complete. So know more letting roms flash with the phone in your pocket(i might be the only one that does that) lol. No thats not what i did the first try. That and it always says the battery is 10 percent. Other than that i like the concept for sure still a team win fan. Just gots to be mo careful.
 
I was originally holding off until some 'major bug' was found in the first version but it sounds pretty solid so far. I may have to give it a go later today.
 
I been using this with no issues yet. SO MUCH EASIER! (and of course I like the less wear on the power and volume buttons).

I been doing a factory wipe, system wipe, dalvin cache, and cache before flashing roms. I was wondering if the factory AND system wipe are both needed everytime you flash a rom? Also is there a "everything" wipe within this recovery??

Thanks
 
I been using this with no issues yet. SO MUCH EASIER! (and of course I like the less wear on the power and volume buttons).

I been doing a factory wipe, system wipe, dalvin cache, and cache before flashing roms. I was wondering if the factory AND system wipe are both needed everytime you flash a rom? Also is there a "everything" wipe within this recovery??

Thanks

Heh...you don't need to wipe everything like that to flash. Only certain ROMs (I think ViperROM is the only one, actually) require you to format /system. All other ROMs have this as a standard part of the install script. But it's not a bad thing to do if you just want to make sure a corrupted rom gets cleared off your phone.

If you're going to wipe data, you really just need to do 'Wipe everything', which existed in TWRP 1.1 (I haven't check to see if 2.0 has it). I believe that cleans off the /data and /cache partitions. Which means it's the same as doing a factory reset, dalvik and /cache wipe.

But if you're doing it manually, all you need to wipe is /data and /cache. The dalvik cache exists half in /cache and half in /data.
 
I dont see a Wipe Everything on 2.0 nor a "data" wipe. However I guess its safe to assume the "Cache" tab must be for data.

So basically I only need to dalvin wipe and data wipe to flash these custom ROMs.

I flashed OTXE Titan 2.5 over a Android Revolution and ended up seeing wall paper from the previous ROM so I'm just looking to be thorough with every flash, ( I was on TWRP 1.1 at the time). I also lost my 4G key on an Evo before..

I'll also keep your advice for flashing Viper in the future which I plan on giving a run..

Thanks!!
 
Odd, it existed in 1.1. Honestly, I didn't play with 2.0 all that much. I'd boot into recovery right now and explore if I wasn't doing a battery re-calibration.
 
I dont see a Wipe Everything on 2.0 nor a "data" wipe. However I guess its safe to assume the "Cache" tab must be for data.

So basically I only need to dalvin wipe and data wipe to flash these custom ROMs.

I flashed OTXE Titan 2.5 over a Android Revolution and ended up seeing wall paper from the previous ROM so I'm just looking to be thorough with every flash, ( I was on TWRP 1.1 at the time). I also lost my 4G key on an Evo before..

I'll also keep your advice for flashing Viper in the future which I plan on giving a run..

Thanks!!

data is there. it is in the wipe section. it is just called factory reset.
 
While I was playing around with 2.0 last night I wiped cache and dalvik just to do something in recovery while I was in there. Wiping cache definitely didn't wipe my data.
 
Yea wiping cache isn't gonna touch your data. Factory reset is mainly for data but it also wipes caches too.
 
Back
Top Bottom