• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Certain roms give better signal/3g??

BrianJB

Android Enthusiast
I was just wondering if anyone else had ever noticed that certain roms can deliver different signal strengths/3g speeds?

I had recently been flashing many different roms and I had noticed that some roms my phones signal (for both voice & 3g) wouldn't agree with...I tried 5 different roms, mik3d,synergy,mikg,kinged,kingdom....

1 thing I noticed was that synergy,kinged,kingdom were all about the same for signal strength...Decent voice, ok 3g.

Mik3d I never had a full signal...ever...voice was ok, 3g wasnt very good.

Mikg (2.45) has been INCREDIBLE...I went from getting about .40mbps to .80-1.00mbps... All of the roms were tested under the same enviroment (phone had all of the same settings, prl,##data# menu settings, and same areas of town/work.)

Anyone else ever noticed this with roms?

i'm mik3d and my signal strength seems to me to be about the same on most of the roms i'm on. i have not tried the new mikg yet though.

My 3G sucks equally on Decks, Mik3d, MikG, Kinged Kingdom, Kings Alliance, Synergy, Koni's ESIII, Misfits Rom, Evolved Rom, King Cocoa, and Stock. :D

not sure that it is the roms themselves...or if it is build prop info differences....or simply the proxies.

in the past some roms had the proxy info and others did not....so check that out.

I can't think of much (other than voltage issues) that a dev could do in the evo roms that would effect your signal strength

and of course..with any rom flash you should be updating prl and data profile afterwards (in that order)

Oh, I don't live in the Steel city. I live in Virginia. And our 3G sucks too! ;)

O snap! Steeler Nation!
3G isn't bad here, its just not as great as other cities. :D
Now the hills and valleys are murderous on service here.

I've noticed a signal difference between Sense and cm7 based ROMs before, Sense got the better signal (and not just speaking in terms of speed or "appearance" of bars)...

not sure that it is the roms themselves...or if it is build prop info differences....or simply the proxies.

in the past some roms had the proxy info and others did not....so check that out.

I can't think of much (other than voltage issues) that a dev could do in the evo roms that would effect your signal strength

and of course..with any rom flash you should be updating prl and data profile afterwards (in that order)

u have to update prl and data after each rom? ive done it before but didnt know you had to do it each time .... thanks for the tip!

I've noticed a signal difference between Sense and cm7 based ROMs before, Sense got the better signal (and not just speaking in terms of speed or "appearance" of bars)...

again...the only thing that could possible affect the signal strength that I am aware of is the voltage changes the devs have in the kernels...everything else is in the radios you have flashed...flashing a rom does not change that.

you bring up something interesting that many miss though...

how are you all measuring signal strength? the devs DO actually change the appearance of the signal meter in the notification area....some use 3 bars...others use 4..I believe I have even seen 5 and 6....

it is like the whole battery life debate months ago...some tricky themers themed the battery to drop in 15% increments....people thought they were getting great battery life and then BAM...battery dropped out of no where...

it was programmed that way.

funny...at&t phones are like that out of the box....the battery drops in 15% increments....and it makes the user feel like everything is a-ok

but anyway...everyone make sure you are using something like signal strength widget to monitor signal strength ...not bars

Out of the 3 roms i have used(Including Stock) Kings Kingdom was getting 3G signal in my house were I never get 3g, i only had 1 bar of regular service that would come and go :P. So maybe theres something that does make signal better... Either its the rom or its the Factory reset, making your phone new for a bit.

Thanks for the tip! Wish I could figure out how to do the Mik3D screenshot he mentioned, I'd show you the improvement that made!

Back