• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockWorkMod

I'm no dev and this my be a noob question but I was wondering, since the phone has an internal sdcard and most apps think our sdcard as external_sdcard could we change the "flash_image recovery /sdcard/external_sdcard"

That's not exactly what the command would look like but you get my train of thought.

Again, sorry if this is a bad idea, just throwing out what I'm thinking.

Upvote 0
I'm no dev and this my be a noob question but I was wondering, since the phone has an internal sdcard and most apps think our sdcard as external_sdcard could we change the "flash_image recovery /sdcard/external_sdcard"

That's not exactly what the command would look like but you get my train of thought.

Again, sorry if this is a bad idea, just throwing out what I'm thinking.

I tried both before because I had put the replacement recovery in both folders. but thanks :)

Upvote 0
Here are commands to flash recovery
1. Open terminal

2. Type SU

3. First backup stock recovery
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 > /sdcard/recovery_backup.img

4. Now zero recovery partition
cat /dev/zero > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14

* You will get a warning about device full.. This is ok

5. Now flash new recovery
cat /sdcard/nameofrecovery.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14

6. Power off phone and hold volume down while turning on and hold volume down till recovery appears

**The recovery posted does not work. It bootloops twice and then boots to rom. I then used steps 4 and 5 to flash the backup made and it boots back into stock recovery

Upvote 0
Here are commands to flash recovery
1. Open terminal

2. Type SU

3. First backup stock recovery
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 > /sdcard/recovery_backup.img

4. Now zero recovery partition
cat /dev/zero > /dev/blockmmcblk0p14

* You will get a warning about device full.. This is ok

5. Now flash new recovery
cat /sdcard/nameofrecovery.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14

The recovery posted does not work. It bootloops twice and then boots to rom. I then used steps 4 and 5 to flash the backup made and it boots back into stock recovery

Sorry lol, I found that out =/ lol. I tried 2 different ones just now, and am still working on getting another, utkanos is amazing with working with me.
I am able to pull off what he needs me to do but we need to keep trying until one works, I gave him system folders and all so he can make another tonight, this will be the 3rd attempt =/
The second one just so you know, was a LG logo freeze instead of a bootloop lol

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
salvy512,

It's good to see you're back in action. :)

Thank you for the progress updates and not giving up.

It's good to see that kwknott was able to replace recovery with the backup.

Yes, if anyone breaks recovery but can boot up then they can do:
put original recovery on sdcard root
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/nameofrecovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14
and it will flash it to the right place.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones