• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root {collab rom} seeking volunteers

johnnyl1111

Android Expert
seeking volunteers to assist in a collab stock rom similar to gt's samurai and katana roms for lg spirit. first we would have discussions about what we want it to look like and what features (realistic features) we want it to have. then we would discuss dividing the task amongst volunteers so that no 1 person would be overburdened. we would also need to discuss how we would share our work for others to add their contribution too. there will be a lot of things to change in single files such as systemui so we would need a central place to share the decompiled copy of it that can be modified by each volunteer and then eventually recompiled when all the work is done.

I love the idea... Too bad I've got so much on my plate right now, but if you have any questions or need any suggestions holler at me..

A bunch of things that we should add
Google now
Google keyboard
Super charger
Deodexed
Add more useful apk's
Themed system ui
Pie control
Java
Aroma installer
Option to chose different kernels
Option to chose different recoveries/ aboot

List will be updated as development begins

Hey i can't do much as in to dev or such...but i will be a tester....

sure you could. there will be fairly easy stuff to do to help, like recoloring icons etc.. there will be things that unexperienced people can do. once we get it all broke down and figure out how many volunteers we have and who is capable of what.

we should probably go ahead and get some things going like github and irc. then i suggest we give it a couple days to let more people see the thread and possibly volunteer. i work days but i will be able to work on this in the evenings. but i will be able to chat in irc throughout the day on my phone. i may start bringing my laptop with me to work in order to do a few things during breaks and lunch etc..

What about starting a google code page for the project? Allows for anyone who is authorized to make changes to the source code, and can be setup to produce nightlies. That's what we used to use on the PSP scene ;)

I'm sure github can probably do all of those things as well :P

the rom will probably be more of a cooked rom so im not sure that source code will be needed. what we need is just a place to store the files that can be updated by the volunteers.

Hmm maybe we can all build parts of the rom and then share it on irc so it could be compiled together and we would have a functional rom.

(Can't wait for n5)

The thing is. Most the work will be done in a couple main files like systemui and framework so these files will need to be decompiled and their parts uploaded so that people can replace the edited parts as they finish them and recompiled once all changes are made.

Back
Top Bottom